Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: most desirable 914s to own
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Kevin just asked me what I thought were the most desirable 914s to own after the sixes, GTs and limited editions. Here is my list and briefly why. What do you think?
Kevin, here are my ratings after, like you said, the LE and the 914-6S and GTs. starting with the most collectible
ANY low mile (under 30 thousand) original paint original original untouched 914
next we are assuming that one buy the best of these that can be found in original condition, modifications like color change carburetion and previous wrecks and rust skew this rating, so please keep that in mind
1. 1976 914. Last year of the car, lowest production numbers of all of the four cylinders, all were 2.0 models, all of the latest factory chassis reinforcements
2 1973 914 2.0. had standard all of the factory options and the lighter body with chrome bumpers and fuchs alloy wheels
3 1974 914 2.0. Just as good as the 73 but one has to watch which options were on the cars as they came stripped and one would have to order each option separately that the 73s had as standard
4 1975 914 2.0. The reinforced body, the 2.0 engine, the impact bumpers which made the car actually more stable at high interstate speeds
5 1974 914 1.8. The fabulous 1.8 AFC fuel injection the light body, the standard styled steel Lemmertz wheels, the optional chrome bumpers, fuchs wheels etc
6 1973 914 1.7. The first year of the updated shift linkage, side impact door guards, updated window mechanisms
7 1975 914 1.8. Reinforced body, impact bumpers, styled steel wheels as standard, plaid interiors, and optional fuchs or mahle wheels
8 1972 914 1.7 (all fours 70-72 were 1.7). First year of the movable pass seat, ability to have or add retractible seat belts
9 1971 914 1.7 Naugahyde leather look interior, improved chassis reinforcement
10 1970 914 1.7. Just owning a 914 is a great experience and finding the first year is harder because they were dirt cheap back then and people abused them so very few are available
mepstein
#9 or 10 - best one to own if you are turning it into a 914-6GT tribute/clone/copy
Root_Werks
No real year preference for any stock 914 as long as it's in good condition (rust, rust, rust).
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2024, 10:12 AM) *

#9 or 10 - best one to own if you are turning it into a 914-6GT tribute/clone/copy

I guess if the '70 1.7 I picked up can get back to roadworthy I won't have to feel too bad about thinking about a GT style body... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

Just gotta figure out what to do for a power plant as a poor young person, -6 would be cool, but would cost as much as all the other cars we own put together lol-2.gif av-943.gif
wonkipop
1975 European 1.8
twin carb/high compression AN engine = 85 hp.
lowest production number (100)
generally minimalist equipment - no vinyl, no chrome,
lightweight body. no USA reinforcing or heavy collision bumper internals.
what the 914 was supposed to be?
rare as hens teeth today. try and find one.

agree with your position #5 for 74 L jet.
good to see some love for the babies from someone who has seen them all.
first L jet makes it important car in the bigger scheme of things automotive in my humble opinion.
StarBear
Think you nailed it, George. Appropriate pre-qualifications. Nice job.
r_towle
Is a GT a customized converted 914/6?
Or a V8?
TROJANMAN
I don't mind the big bumpers (I have a 75), but it didn't as well as when all of the smog equipment had been removed.

So I disagree with the '76, for that reason biggrin.gif
emerygt350
Well, anyone with any real taste would obviously prefer a 73 2.0 chalon. Rare, beautiful, gets a big reaction out of both those who know nothing about 914s and an even bigger reaction out of those that think a 73 2.0 is super collectable. wink.gif
73-914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 5 2024, 09:42 PM) *

Well, anyone with any real taste would obviously prefer a 73 2.0 chalon. Rare, beautiful, gets a big reaction out of both those who know nothing about 914s and an even bigger reaction out of those that think a 73 2.0 is super collectable. wink.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 5 2024, 07:42 PM) *

pray.gif
wonkipop
if you reckon a 75 or 76 is top of the list.
then this is probably the top of that list?

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/porsche-91...-0-1975-511874/

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
technicalninja
I have a nice 75 1.8 with maybe 31K on it.

No real rust to speak of. Never hit.

I keep telling myself this is the "least valuable"!

Big bumpers, little engine, no sway bars, silver...

The lowest of the low!

It's nice enough that it probably shouldn't be modified.

I'm not a "stocker" type of guy.
I want to increase HP by a factor of 4.
I want a 6-speed transmission.
I want Boxster brakes, big tires and flares.

You guys are screwing that up! ninja.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
DON"T do it! I LOVE my Malaga STRIPPED 27,000 mile original paint 75 1.8. Drive it at least once a week. Would rather drive it ANY day over this six speed 550 hp (cannot see out of) v8!!!

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Apr 6 2024, 07:53 AM) *

The lowest of the low!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Apr 6 2024, 10:53 AM) *

The lowest of the low!

Buy one that is screwed up. Screw it up some more. Drive the stock one until you are done fixing /screwing up the other one. Then decide your next step.

I had a 70/1.7 it was a great car for driving around town but just felt too gutless for anything fun.
technicalninja
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2024, 12:01 PM) *

The lowest of the low!

Buy one that is screwed up. Screw it up some more. Drive the stock one until you are done fixing /screwing up the other one. Then decide your next step.

I had a 70/1.7 it was a great car for driving around town but just felt too gutless for anything fun.

I ALMOST bought that subbie project flared car you sold!
Had you been within "check out distance" I probably would have...

Ford GT to 75 914 would be a no-brainer for me and I'm NOT fond of Ford at all!

I'll trade all of my 914s for that GT...

I'm guessing most members would!

I have 4 914s now. Super nice 75, a failed project fiberglass 916 clone (76 chassis) and two organ doners. 73 2.0 and a IMSA bodied 71. Both are seriously "toasted".

Plans are to keep the 75 "bolt on" only and maybe work the 916 clone.

I'd rather start with something like the mepstein car I missed.

I'm patient. I'll wait...

I need a steel flared failed project in the DFW area. ninja.gif

One of my first rules regarding a "build" is to find the straightest lest optioned base to start from. Don't screw with a -6, GT, or LE.

I have this NOW!

Sadly, it's so nice it's damned hard to cut it.

Some might accuse me of sacrilege...
mepstein
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Apr 6 2024, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2024, 12:01 PM) *

The lowest of the low!

I ALMOST bought that subbie project flared car you sold!
Had you been within "check out distance" I probably would have...

Ford GT to 75 914 would be a no-brainer for me and I'm NOT fond of Ford at all!

I'll trade all of my 914s for that GT...

I'm guessing most members would!

I have 4 914s now. Super nice 75, a failed project fiberglass 916 clone (76 chassis) and two organ doners. 73 2.0 and a IMSA bodied 71. Both are seriously "toasted".

Plans are to keep the 75 "bolt on" only and maybe work the 916 clone.

I'd rather start with something like the mepstein car I missed.

I'm patient. I'll wait...

I need a steel flared failed project in the DFW area. ninja.gif

One of my first rules regarding a "build" is to find the straightest lest optioned base to start from. Don't screw with a -6, GT, or LE.

I have this NOW!

Sadly, it's so nice it's damned hard to cut it.

Some might accuse me of sacrilege...

On the other hand, I’ve done enough rustorations. Just finished the metalwork on a 67-912. I could have bought a nice running car for what metal, metalwork, paint removal, etc cost me.
Many 914’s were built. Many still exist. If I end up screwing up a nice example or two, I can live with it. No more rustorations for me.
rjames
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 5 2024, 07:30 PM) *

if you reckon a 75 or 76 is top of the list.
then this is probably the top of that list?

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/porsche-91...-0-1975-511874/

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Beautiful car, but either ditch the reflector (preferred) or don't drill a hole through it.
Maltese Falcon
Any year/ Any type of power are my faves, street legal roadster fun !
Click to view attachment
913B
Woohooo, made it to the top 10

Besides the 5-lug conversion, but hey it's mine, mine, mine biggrin.gif happy11.gif
JeffBowlsby
I think the next wave of hero’s may include:

- any of the euro/japan market cars or RHD conversions
- the early 73 cars with lightweight doors
- the prototypes.
- any special paint cars
- any cars with provenance…owned by/raced by
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 02:03 PM) *

- the prototypes.
- any special paint cars

i think only the crayfords rhd would qualify (done back in period).
and they are truly collectable - handful of cars, ultra rare.

the euro market cars are definitely of interest.
esp the later base model 1.8s.
small production numbers.
peppy engine.
not many original survivors.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 04:03 PM) *

- the prototypes.
- any special paint cars

Jeff
now this seems important. Lightweight doors or just no Ralph Nader bars?

Kevin
mepstein
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Apr 7 2024, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 04:03 PM) *

- the prototypes.
- any special paint cars

Jeff
now this seems important. Lightweight doors or just no Ralph Nader bars?

Kevin

Early 73 didn’t have door bars but had the later scissor mechanism.
JamesM
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 5 2024, 09:08 AM) *

Kevin just asked me what I thought were the most desirable 914s to own after the sixes, GTs and limited editions. Here is my list and briefly why. What do you think?
Kevin, here are my ratings after, like you said, the LE and the 914-6S and GTs. starting with the most collectible
ANY low mile (under 30 thousand) original paint original original untouched 914
next we are assuming that one buy the best of these that can be found in original condition, modifications like color change carburetion and previous wrecks and rust skew this rating, so please keep that in mind
1. 1976 914. Last year of the car, lowest production numbers of all of the four cylinders, all were 2.0 models, all of the latest factory chassis reinforcements
2 1973 914 2.0. had standard all of the factory options and the lighter body with chrome bumpers and fuchs alloy wheels
3 1974 914 2.0. Just as good as the 73 but one has to watch which options were on the cars as they came stripped and one would have to order each option separately that the 73s had as standard
4 1975 914 2.0. The reinforced body, the 2.0 engine, the impact bumpers which made the car actually more stable at high interstate speeds
5 1974 914 1.8. The fabulous 1.8 AFC fuel injection the light body, the standard styled steel Lemmertz wheels, the optional chrome bumpers, fuchs wheels etc
6 1973 914 1.7. The first year of the updated shift linkage, side impact door guards, updated window mechanisms
7 1975 914 1.8. Reinforced body, impact bumpers, styled steel wheels as standard, plaid interiors, and optional fuchs or mahle wheels
8 1972 914 1.7 (all fours 70-72 were 1.7). First year of the movable pass seat, ability to have or add retractible seat belts
9 1971 914 1.7 Naugahyde leather look interior, improved chassis reinforcement
10 1970 914 1.7. Just owning a 914 is a great experience and finding the first year is harder because they were dirt cheap back then and people abused them so very few are available

I love all 914s but find im more interested in owning the 72-74 cars.

As delivered by the factory my #1 pick would be the early-mid 73 cars with the late style window winders but without the side impact beams (I have owned 3 73 cars and each one of them has had different style doors) This to me was the "peak" of 914 development after they had fixed a lot of the problems with the early cars and before they started cost cutting and implementing changes for government regulations.

You didnt mention some of the more interesting cars like the 74 LE cars and the initial production 73 2.0 vinyl A-Pillar cars.

My preference list looks a bit different, this is from the point of a car you plan to drive regularly.

1. Mid 73 (1.7 or 2.0) with no door beams
2. Late 73 - Early 74 2.0s (pre plastic gauges)
3. 72 1.7s (though preferably with a side shift conversion)
4. Late 74s (1.8 or 2.0) (plastic gauge cars)
5. 75-76 2.0s (I make no distinction between these as the 76s were just burning up remaining 75 inventory)
6. 75 1.8s
7. 70-71 1.7s

Ultimately though if your focus is to drive and enjoy your 914 though than any 914 will do as a starting point to build whatever you want (though i believe the 72+ chassis are a little easier to start with)

Im currently wrapping up the complete bare metal rebuild of the first 914 I ever bought (also the first car I ever bought) and am putting it back together with what I consider to be the ultimate mix and match of 4 cyl parts from all years.

72 chassis (slightly lighter than the 73s)
Mid 73 doors (no impact beams)
73+ front suspension (late struts/ball joints, brakes)
73+ side shift trans
Built 2056 (Megasquirt injection)
74 1.8 Plenum/runners (with a bored 2.1 WBX throttle body)
75 Rear vinyl "914" emblem (this was just to stick with the "lightweight" theme of the build and to not drill the rear panel)

It got a bunch of other neat stuff intended to make it the ultimate 4 cyl drivers car but ill save all the details for another thread.

Gatornapper
Posted this on Rennlist on 4/6 as first post after Dr914's post there:

LOVE my '76 as I'm just finishing restoration after starting 7 years ago, Malaga Red.

Thank you George - now I love it even more! Many thanks for all your help along the way..........

A true "barn find" that found me as it was abandoned in a good friend's new barn in 2005 running perfectly when abandoned. Friend kept bugging me, "You're a Porsche guy - come and get it out of my barn! I need the space and owner/friend won't come get it!" "Dick - I don't want a 914! They are rust-buckets and have a VW engine!" He kept telling my how good a condition it was and finally I went to see it, and he was correct. Scotty Burnett said it was one of most rust-free 914's he'd ever seen. From LA area is why.... 60,600 original (verifiable-by-records) miles.........

Bringing it home on trailer I said, "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?!?"

Ever since I first drove it I can't believe how wonderful the car is!

GN

​​​​​​http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...c=367507&st=40
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.