Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Smell in the engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi all. Need some help here.

I have been noticing some fuel smell in the engine bay. I noticed that there is leak of some sort as per the picture. What part is leaking here? And, what part is this? Sorry - I'm not mechanically inclined.

Appreciate any guidance. Thank you!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
A pic zoomed out would help, but it looks like a dual oil pressure setup. That is your idiot light and one for number readout in the cockpit. That's oil that dripped onto the tin. Do you have carbs or fuel injection?
stickyfingers
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Apr 7 2024, 05:09 PM) *

A pic zoomed out would help, but it looks like a dual oil pressure setup. That is your idiot light and one for number readout in the cockpit. That's oil that dripped onto the tin. Do you have carbs or fuel injection?

The vehicle is fuel injected. It is oil for sure when I wiped it. I'm not certain where it's coming from (likely the brass fittings right above).

Here some zoomed out pictures. Appreciate the assistance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

is the above red circled part the oil pressure switch? I've heard these usually leak. And, if that is the case, is this the correct part from 914Rubber? https://914rubber.com/oil-pressure-switch or this one from autolanta: https://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Oil-Pre...021919081D.html

Thank you!
FlacaProductions
wipe it all down, get it dry and then put an eye on it to figure out where it's truly coming from. It's one of those connections. Might be enough to just tighten up the offending one or may need to take it apart, clean and re-seal. I have had good luck with Permatex 80019.
fiacra
Looks like you have two separate problems: a small oil leak that you seem to be on top of and should be fixed soon (it has already been said, but wipe it down, tighten the fittings, and see if that solves it), and a fuel leak that you really have to figure out before you have an engine fire. In a FI car you should not have a strong odor of gas in the engine bay. Check all the hoses, all the clamps, and the injector seals. Find and fix the fuel leak before you worry about anything else. That should be your top priority. The oil leak is lower down on the list.
wonkipop
if the fuel pump is still in original position under engine rhs then check under there too.
could be a fuel leak in one of the hoses going in or out of fuel pump.
will result in fuel smell in engine bay.

rjames
How old are the fuel lines? If they haven’t been changed somewhat recently I’d just replace them and verify correct FI clamps.
An injector could be leaking, too.
FlacaProductions
If this is the first time it's been out in a while ie: springtime, be sure to check the tins under the injectors. The seals can dry out over the winter if it's been in storage and if they're leaking it'll pool/collect right there. First few times I have mine out in the spring, I start it and let it sit in the drive (not in the garage) for a few minutes and put an eye on that area making sure no injector/injector seal leaks.
emerygt350
What flaca said. Old vehicle and all that. What a fun little dual oil circuit you have there. Mine is a dual pole but stuck under the front coil mount. I think it looks cleaner, but I like the fact yours still has the normal dummy light sensor in the chain, and it may not fit my way. Yours does introduce more leak points but they are all easily fixable.

The fuel smell is a worry of course. Work your way from the fuel line all through the injectors and regulator and pump. Don't drive it till you find it.Click to view attachment
Ignore the strange wires, you can see the dual pole attached to the forward coil mount. The zip tie is at least 5 HP.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 7 2024, 08:12 PM) *

What flaca said. Old vehicle and all that. What a fun little dual oil circuit you have there. Mine is a dual pole but stuck under the front coil mount. I think it looks cleaner, but I like the fact yours still has the normal dummy light sensor in the chain, and it may not fit my way. Yours does introduce more leak points but they are all easily fixable.

The fuel smell is a worry of course. Work your way from the fuel line all through the injectors and regulator and pump. Don't drive it till you find it.Click to view attachment
Ignore the strange wires, you can see the dual pole attached to the forward coil mount. The zip tie is at least 5 HP.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I had a vapor issue with the fuel tank which was corrected by getting a new fuel cap.

I want to say that my smell is a mixture of fuel/oil burning. I have a lift at home and I've looked over everything else underneath. Had it even looked over by a mechanic - no fuel issue he mentioned last year.

Previous owner had replaced the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter vacuum lines, spark plugs and ignition wires.

I have tightened the pressure switch. Will run it again tomorrow to see if the leak comes back.
Mikey914
Check the hoses again in the fuel circuit. Sometimes the wrong hose gets used. If it's not high pressure on every piece, you may have a problem introduced from the replacement.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 8 2024, 10:49 AM) *

Check the hoses again in the fuel circuit. Sometimes the wrong hose gets used. If it's not high pressure on every piece, you may have a problem introduced from the replacement.

Makes sense. I'll take a look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.