Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D Printable Goodies.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gnomefabtech
I'm editing this thread to just be a general 3D printable items thread. I also added an adaptor ring to allow a Speedhut Tach to fit in our dash holes.

I added onto the dummy ashtray model available online and made a pod for my boost gauge. Looks good and is definitely easy to see. I'll attach the .stl file in the comments if I can.

Enjoy.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
gnomefabtech
Can't attach the file. DM me and I'll email it to you if you want it.
Montreal914
Very nice!! sunglasses.gif

Thank you for sharing!

Edit: This is a 52mm gauge?
gnomefabtech
I had a big 65mm gauge. I'll make a version for 52mm. Might even be able to squeeze two 52s on there.
NARP74
Boost?
slowrodent
Personally speaking, a two gauge pod would be most desirable. smile.gif
FlacaProductions
2 52mm's would be great
fixer34
Many years ago I had a 2-gauge rubber mount that fit the tray opening perfectly. Had to run screws up into the dash to hold it, so a variation of this that slides in on the tray rails would be ideal.
emerygt350
Did you post the files anywhere? I would like to muck with it in freecad...
TheRuttmeister
Upload the CAD file and/or STEP to somewhere like MyMiniFactory or (shudder) Thingiverse. Think linky.
gnomefabtech
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-pri...uge-pods-372458

Here is the link to myminifactory. I don't know when it will be approved but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

Both sizes. 52mm and 65mm. Two 52mm won't fit although there might be a way if they stick out a lot.
gnomefabtech
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 8 2024, 06:59 AM) *

Boost?

Why yes. Yes there is.
fixer34
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Apr 8 2024, 06:39 PM) *

Here is the link to myminifactory. I don't know when it will be approved but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

Both sizes. 52mm and 65mm. Two 52mm won't fit although there might be a way if they stick out a lot.

There is a rubber VDO dual gauge mount in the classifieds, maybe along that design? I seem to remember the back of the gauges would just clear the dash underneath.
gnomefabtech
Is that rubber mount supposed to use the ashtray slider screw holes?
fixer34
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Apr 9 2024, 10:52 AM) *

Is that rubber mount supposed to use the ashtray slider screw holes?

Not sure if 'supposed to', but I think that is what I did with mine (long ago) and the one in the classifieds appears to have a couple holes in the top . If I recall, the screws went upwards from the gauge openings, then once it was secured, the gauges were pushed into the openings. Having a bracket that slides on the ashtray rails would be much nicer...
emerygt350
any chance you could pm me the cad file? I was able to make some mods to the stl in freecad but when I try to cut the original structure it errors out. There is probably some overly complicated way to fix that but I can't be bothered.
gnomefabtech
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 10 2024, 06:39 AM) *

any chance you could pm me the cad file? I was able to make some mods to the stl in freecad but when I try to cut the original structure it errors out. There is probably some overly complicated way to fix that but I can't be bothered.

I'm using tinkercad. It's hobbled so all I can export are .obj and .stl
emerygt350
Ahhh... Well, if what I am trying works maybe I will Google around for a fix.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 8 2024, 10:42 PM) *

There is a rubber VDO dual gauge mount in the classifieds, maybe along that design? I seem to remember the back of the gauges would just clear the dash underneath.

Requires drilling two holes for sheet metal screws.
Vintage VDO part... if you can find it.
emerygt350
here is my mod. Now its a cell phone holder. It will hold a phone up to 80mm wide and 14mm thick.

Click to view attachment

It's on thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6574331

It wouldn't be difficult to add two pods. Not sure if the 'pipe' in the current design is big enough for all of the wires for two guages.
fixer34
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 11 2024, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 8 2024, 10:42 PM) *

Requires drilling two holes for sheet metal screws.
Vintage VDO part... if you can find it.

Yep, just like it was made for the opening. A version with the tray slides would be perfect.
emerygt350
Doesn't really look like it could fit. You get the two 52mm holes but those faces have a rim that would probably interfere with each other.

Click to view attachment
gnomefabtech
I made an adaptor ring for a 4.5" Speedhut tach. Should be available here:

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/alexvendler?show=store

Click to view attachment
gnomefabtech
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 11 2024, 12:15 PM) *

Doesn't really look like it could fit. You get the two 52mm holes but those faces have a rim that would probably interfere with each other.

Click to view attachment

Yeah. I tried that. Might be possible to make a part that doesn't use the ashtray rails and can hold two gauges. Kind of like that VDO holder but with hole spacing that hits the stock ashtray screw holes. If I have time I'll play with it.
TROJANMAN
I have the ash tray delete dash biggrin.gif
NotLance
I'll throw out there that I have access to a collection of 3D printers at my work, although I tend to stay on the metal fabrication side of things.

If someone wants a 3D printed goodie printed in Nylon (and theoretically they could be printed with continuous carbon fibers infused too). I can print and ship at cost. It's a really nice material and generally has a great finish.

The printers are markforged units, for those familiar. Not sure the exact model though.

Can print PLA too on our prusa printers but I know most people who print already have access to that material.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.