Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We lost an OG 914 brother on Monday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Steve Limbert passed away Monday morning April 8th in his home at age 81.

The tough old guy pulled through open heart surgery last October but continued to see his health decline. Stage 4 cancer was discovered in February.

He loved all things Porsche. He founded Aircooled Racing, a Porsche repair and resoration shop and continued racing until age 79.

RIP my friend.

TROJANMAN
sad.gif
burton73
Very sad loosing old buds, RIP Steve Limbert
Dion
RIP Steve. I appreciated his help when i was building my 2056.
A great loss to the 914 community.
914dave
RIP my friend.
campbellcj
RIP Steve - Race in Paradise
76-914
RIP sad.gif
mate914
Steve was a great patriot. He was so full of info. RIP legend.
Matt flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
BillJ
Have known Steve a long time. Sad he has left us.
nditiz1
Oh no Steve! RIP I enjoyed attending the swap meet in September. He also was an owner of an original GT if I'm not mistaken.
rgalla9146

Another good one gone. RIP Steve.
rick 918-S
Anyone have a photo? I remember the name. Looks like he had a good run at life.
EP914
RIP Steve. Great guy. I’ve known Steve from back in the 80s when we raced in SCCA together. He will be missed.
davep
A great loss to this community. RIP Steve.
Dion
Steve was custodian to Max Moritz car:

http://p914-6info.net/PDFs/Max%20Moritz%20...0Feb%202005.pdf
Cairo94507
RIP Steve. sad.gif
Van914
Such a loss.
RIP
ChrisFoley
I'll share one quick story about how I knew Steve,
At the SCCA Pocono National the year the paddock flooded (2004?), we started the race on a soaking wet track although the raining had ended. Steve was ahead of me in his yellow GT-2 car and Les Handly was ahead of him in EP #78. Going into the first turn (heading into the infield near end of NASCAR main straight going counterclockwise), by late braking I went around the outside and beat Steve to the corner exit, putting me directly behind Les, my main opponent of the day. I was able to follow Les through the infield and back onto the oval but that's where the contest ended. Les had me by a good 20 hp and Steve re-passed me with the power of his 2.9L six. After about 30 seconds of full throttle I was a good 20 car lengths behind the two of them. It was fun while it lasted.
However, after the race Steve felt it necessary to criticize me for the pass, trying to say it was unsafe. What a woosie! biggrin.gif
RIP
TomE
What a loss of a great guy. Loved his swap meet. I liked it better than Hershey or the new one at Carlisle. His knowledge of air cooled should have been in a book.
Geezer914
R.I.P. Steve, still racing at the age of 79, damn good if you ask me. I hope to be still driving at 79.
914-300Hemi
RIP sad.gif
Shivers
Ooooh. My condolences. Rest in peace Steve
GrandAm
Rip Steve

Central Penn PCA

Not sure if the link works.

CPA-PCA.ORG
Local PCA has a picture.

Only knew him since 2018 when they started on our Creamsicle. Aircooled Racing and Restoration is only a couple miles from me so I wound up helping around the shop and crewing for them racing. Everywhere we went folks stopped by all day to talk. VIR. Lime Rock, PVGP, Summit to Jersey. Got to hear tons of stories. Derek has been with him 30+ years and will be carrying Aircooled forward.
Race On Steve!Click to view attachment

His GT 19 and Les Handley's #78 (the first 914 to enter the US) had 17 and 14 page spreads in Porsche Panorama
stownsen914
Damn, such bad news. I had the pleasure of buying/trading stuff with Steve a few times over the years. Got to hang out with him for a while at the Lime Rock vintage races a couple years ago, he had the GT and the Handley car there on display. Such a loss to our community. RIP
silverg
I like Derek, he’s always been honest with me.
Olympic 914
RIP Steve. Saw him a bunch at the Hershey/Carlisle swap

I'll wear his t-shirt this weekend in remembrance.
MDTerp
Oh no. So sorry to hear this. He really helped me out when I needed work done on my 914.
Tonyooc
Condolences to his family.
camaroz1985
RIP Steve.

I crewed for him a couple VRG events, he built the cage for my Lemons car, and got me interested in 914s.

My best memory was at a 24 Hours of Lemons race he was serving as safety steward (I think). Anyway he thought it would be funny if we put our $500 car into his stacker and drive it into the track that way. Turned a lot of heads for sure, and although Steve wasn’t racing that weekend we all had a blast.

He will be missed for sure, but glad I could call him a friend.
VaccaRabite
Oh man that sucks!
Last time I was up at his place was about this time last year when I needed some electrical bits for my motor swap. We talked for the better part of an hour, and he charged my $20 for the bit of wire harness I needed. If it was 914 related, you knew you could find it there. I've been going up to his shop off an on for close to 20 years now, and his cars were instrumental when I was figuring out how my car was supposed to be put back together.

Steve was also a big influence in my "build your car the way you want - ignore anyone else" mindset. Being a racer, he understood the curiosity and need to tinker and modify. He would listen to my ideas - really just napkin plans - and in several instances helped me refine them.

RIP Steve.

Zach
Dr Evil
Ah man. The passing of a legend. RIP Steve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.