Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early morning pricing scare was too much for me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
On Friday I ordered 60 cone screws from the local dealer to replenish my stock for shift linkage kits.
Today the driver arrived with 41 pcs of the new superceding part with a pricetag more than triple what I paid last October. $20 per cone screw now is totally outrageous and impossible for me to accept.
I sent them back. So, now I need a reasonably priced, suitable alternative or I stop selling shift linkage kits.
Just one more setback...
mepstein
Jwest?
GregAmy
Sigh...Pelican is showing them for $5, but they're OEM...so I'm sure their prices will go up, too.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9014...424-229-00-M260

$20 for that. Silly.

BTW, I know this will make a lot of people cringe, but I re-use mine, after thoroughly cleaning them and reinstalling with Blue Loctite.

EDIT: just saw that "OEM" is a brand...can they do that? The OEM Porsche one is listed at $8.75.
gereed75
not sure what the correct size is but good old Mcmaster Carr has a variety

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/tip-type~cone/
NARP74
You are going to have to find old stock at the old price and buy them up. Everything is going up. I could list tons of odd examples of things I have been shocked at when I saw the price. My big fear is, the prices usually don't go back down. This is the new normal.
ChrisFoley
So, its not that bad after all. I got excited before I did further research.
I found the 928 part number for the same screw and called my parts rep to check on them.
I can get what I want at about the old price after all.
GregAmy
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 15 2024, 09:04 AM) *

I don't think those will work. The Porchse one has a very specific, and apparently bespoke, extended-tip design.

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Apr 15 2024, 06:57 AM) *

On Friday I ordered 60 cone screws from the local dealer to replenish my stock for shift linkage kits.
Today the driver arrived with 41 pcs of the new superceding part with a pricetag more than triple what I paid last October. $20 per cone screw now is totally outrageous and impossible for me to accept.
I sent them back. So, now I need a reasonably priced, suitable alternative or I stop selling shift linkage kits.
Just one more setback...

WTF.gif I feel your pain. With our new $20 per hr food worker minimum I suspect a hamburger will soon be $25. I jammed my lathe a few weeks back and broke a sacrificial gear insert. I called to order a replacement and was told they are now $41. No choice. The last time I ordered any they were $7. WTF.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 15 2024, 09:04 AM) *

Unfortunately those aren't suitable for the application imo.
rhodyguy
James, JWest, used to sell reusable linkage screws. No nylon strip/keeper. Correct shaped screw and a jam nut. New Normal? Yep. Bought any ice cream lately?
ChrisFoley
That had me briefly very worried. I go thru 100 plus of those per year.
It's hard enough managing inventory without getting shocks like that on a Monday morning.
gereed75

Or Grainger for more options

https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Hmmm forgot about the unique point profile. Grainger has a variety of point shapes but not the same exactly. crazy to be that proprietary

nice 928 find though !!
mepstein
Price from my local Porsche dealer.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2024, 09:12 AM) *

Yeah, I think I get 15% off retail, so imagine my surprise when the invoice in the driver's hand said $19.30 each.
mepstein
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Apr 15 2024, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2024, 09:12 AM) *

Yeah, I think I get 15% off retail, so imagine my surprise when the invoice in the driver's hand said $19.30 each.

We’ve had some weird invoices from SSF. And sometimes it’s just cheaper through Delaware Porsche Parts than a distributor.
Cairo94507
The way prices are zooming out of control, pretty soon an average condition 914 will be $100K for a 4-cylinder example. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 15 2024, 12:43 PM) *

The way prices are zooming out of control, pretty soon an average condition 914 will be $100K for a 4-cylinder example. beerchug.gif

And a basket case 914 will be $120k at Beverly Hills CC. bootyshake.gif
mepstein
I think Porsche car prices are receding while parts and labor is increasing.
JamesM
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 15 2024, 06:50 PM) *

And a basket case 914 will be $120k at Beverly Hills CC. bootyshake.gif

Pretty sure that is already the case lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.