Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free 914 prototype chassis stiffener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
willieg
I was playing around with stiffening up my 914 chassis and made up a prototype out of 1.5” x .090” tubing. However, the stiffener made it more difficult to slide into the car. So, it came out. If there is anyone in the SF BayArea who would like this prototype for free, send me a PM and we can arrange a pickup or drop off. I live in Pleasant Hill, which is next to Concord and Walnut Creek in the East Bay.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ndfrigi
p.m sent
ndfrigi
Sorry @willieg!
My cousin will pass on this. thank you!
gnomefabtech
How much did you notice it improving the stiffness? Pretty interesting idea.
willieg
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Apr 21 2024, 08:21 PM) *

How much did you notice it improving the stiffness? Pretty interesting idea.

Definitely reduced the flexibility of the chassis but as I won’t be tracking the car and it made entry and exit a little more difficult, the “cool” factor wasn’t enough to keep it. The most forward mounting plates consisted of an 1/8” thick angle plate, about 6” long on the top of the door sill and about 15” long, extending past the door opening, attaching to the longitudinals. I figure the area in the door opening is the reason for the chassis flexibility and this was an attempt to add stiffness to that area. There are a couple of kits available that reduce the flexibility of the longitudinals.
gnomefabtech
Thanks for the info. I already have a roll bar in my car and was thinking of adding forward diagonals to firm things up a bit. Seems worth it since I'm not that worried about ease of entry (yet).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.