Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area51Werks had another Visitor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Maybe a few of you will remember when Area51Werks Abducted a factory 6 for some needed attention on one of the coldest days I can ever remember! bruce.gif

http://www.area51werks.com/sub-zero-abduction.html

Well Ben contacted me about his race car. Seems it was a little loose in the corners and it felt like the left side. Here was we found.

Click to view attachment

I checked the rear suspension pickup points with the fixtures McMark made for me. (Thanks again Mark!!) I used a crossmember from my Celette bench and the pickup points we within spec.

Click to view attachment

We discovered over time the chassis was stressed and the stiffening plate spot welds had pops along with the factory rail splitting.

I removed the stiffener and discovered the chassis had been welded many years ago before the stiffening plates were added. The repair had failed under the stiffener.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I removed the fatigued section and repaired the factory rail first.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Then cut out a new stiffener and replaced the one that failed. I added some other plates on the inside and under the rail to box it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ben brought me a gift when he came to pick up the car. He had this custom made. the company that did it is called Two sisters with Tools. I love this and it's going up in my office.

Click to view attachment
vintage914racer
Great work as always, Rick. I can’t thank you enough for your help getting the car back in solid shape! smilie_pokal.gif Your skills and willingness to support the 914 community is amazing.
mlindner
Very cool Rick, thanks for sharing. Mark
Freezin 914
This is awesome! I see Ben’s car race at least once a year. Happy to know I will see it this year!
Very nice job!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
I was thinking it would be fun to see him at Brainard International Raceway. I guess that is the first vent he is considering this year. idea.gif I used to Drag Race there with my Big Block 66 Chevelle. I was in the 11's.
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 21 2024, 05:48 PM) *

I was thinking it would be fun to see him at Brainard International Raceway. I guess that is the first vent he is considering this year. idea.gif I used to Drag Race there with my Big Block 66 Chevelle. I was in the 11's.

Nice work Rick! I looked at the link, but am not certain just how cold it was the first time around. Below minus ten I just try to keep the shop from freezing. Hope to see you this year some time.
Warren
rick 918-S
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 21 2024, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 21 2024, 05:48 PM) *

Nice work Rick! I looked at the link, but am not certain just how cold it was the first time around. Below minus ten I just try to keep the shop from freezing. Hope to see you this year some time.
Warren

Maybe RRC. I am not sure the Alien will make it but I think I can last minute a road warrior for the trip.
Krieger
Nice work! Thatcrap is hard to find! smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
Good catch before something let go in a high-G corner.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 21 2024, 09:56 PM) *

Nice work! Thatcrap is hard to find! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

Glad it discovered and fixed!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.