Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ka-Blammo! ... the 2.7 six in the teener is dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
The 2.7 liter six 911 engine in my teener expired yesterday! My son and I were less than a mile from home and the engine suddenly stopped running. No loud noises ... just the rear tires skidding. It was running pretty easy at 3500 rpm in second gear. It would not turn over with the starter or bump starting. We coasted to within two blocks of home and towed it the remainder of the way.

The engine will not rotate in the forward direction. I was able to rotate it backwards a quater of a turn but when rotated forward it meets resistance and stops rotating.

Valve versus piston?

The infamous cam chain tensioner failure?

Dropped valve?

Thrown rod?

This engine was pretty tired ... smokey and leaky.

Does anyone have any leads on any big six engines?

2.7 liter
2.8 liter
3.0 liter
3.2 liter

The car ran very well at the track last Thursday. The new oil cooler ducting kept the oil temps below 215 degrees all day ... maybe it liked hot oil!

Eddie
sixnotfour
Exhaust valve my guess,beer3.gif
3.2 4500.00 By it now- Ebay

A least it didnt happen at the track ,were you would be hated for oliing down the track , because it would have been way a bigger bang down the straight away. wacko.gif
J P Stein
Damn........I knew I shouldn't have said anything about 911 engines not breaking wacko.gif

Sorry, it was my fault. I didn't knock wood. unsure.gif
Bleyseng
Eddie doesn't like to even change the oil like Miles, just drive the piss outta them. wink.gif

Sorry to hear, there was a 3.2l in Bremerton for sale for $5000 bout 3 weeks ago I almost bought. Look on the NW ppbss.

redshift
sad.gif

It could be worse.. I don't know how, but I am SURE I can figure something out.

M
Eddie914
Come on Geoff!

I change the oil once a year ... I add one quart per month as is leaks out!

Eddie

Bleyseng
twas a 100k miles 3.2 with docs. checkit out see if its still for sale, Eddie

Miles, there is no hope for you! but you're not hopeless....yet.

ohmy.gif
sixnotfour
Geoff , the 3.2 in bremerton is sold,
The 914 , what the hell he only paid 3k for it running driving, lottsa upgrades.

This was buy it now 4500.00, now it will probably go higher. People think it will sell lower . No it won't , they will prob bid it to 6K . If a deal comes along pull the trigger.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Pull of the sump cover see if you're rod bearing is disentigrated.

the above 3.2 sold for 4050.00
Gint
Damn! You don't hear that very often. That sucks.
Eddie914
By the time I found the "Buy It Now" the bidding had already started.

How about the 10k 2.7 rebuilt long block for $2800?

Eddie
Trekkor
Sorry to hear that.
Any idea how many miles were on it?

( Not "Miles", odometer miles lol2.gif )

KT
DNHunt
Sorry to hear that Eddie. Good opportunity to add more power.

Dave
Eddie914
Trekkor,

No idea on the mileage of the engine. The conversion from 1.7/4 to 2.7/6 was performed by the previous owner in the early 1990's in Northern California. The car was used mostly for AX until I acquired it in late 2003.

The engine ran fairly well, but smoked badly on startup after sitting for more than a week. It also would leave a puff of blue smoke out of the right side when shifting.

I'll admit that I ran the engine pretty hard. The rev limited is the 6750rpm mechanical limiter built into the distributor rotor. I usually shift at 6000rpm but have touched the limited more than I liked.

I was planning on adding the cam chain safety collars to the stock cam chain adjusters. That project is still on my to-do list.

I have not yet pulled the engine out and appart to find the point of failure.

Just one more project on the to-do list!

Eddie
MikeP
These guys usually have nice low milage motors. Not always the cheapest but usually reasonable.

D C Automotive
(252) 977-0587 420 Mariny St
Rocky Mount, NC
scotty b
QUOTE (MikeP @ Aug 23 2005, 02:45 PM)
These guys usually have nice low milage motors. Not always the cheapest but usually reasonable.

D C Automotive
(252) 977-0587 420 Mariny St
Rocky Mount, NC

I have dealt with those guys and have good experiences. Went down there last year when my grandad was sick and walked through the building, VERY well organized, everything labeld and sorted and quite a few project cars for sale. Owner is a pretty nice guy for a damn yankee rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.