Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crappie Shift Linkage cover rubber band 1970-1972
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Crappie Shift Linkage cover rubber band 1970-1972
I do not know if this has been a problem for any of your guys but, my 6 had these put on and I do not know who made them, but the custom rubber band broke at its glue joint. I am taking my car to DutchTreet on Thurs to get my sift linkage worked out. My thinking is that whoever made them had problems gluing them. I have heard stories of rubber that was coming out of China that was way less than the quality that used to come from Germany.

Instead of ordering another a new one and chancing the same thing, I would be better off razor cutting it clean and regluing it with crazy glue and then using a mechanical bond of 165 LB. Dacron weaved fishing line that I have caught some monster fish on. This stuff's thin, weaved and obviously super strong. I have found in the past that crazy glue has held well for me on rubber molds, even silicone so I figured I'd give it a try.
I used a ball inflator needle to push the thread through. A number of knots and Bada Boom, a fixed, and hopefully better Shift Linkage cover rubber band

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Great quick thinking. Quality AIN'T what is once was.
sbsix
Had the same issue with mine. It lasted about 10 years and just decomposed. Same thing for the tail shift bellow and my turbo tie rod bellows. All the rubber parts were sourced from Porsche originally. I’m not looking forward to taking off the shift rods and replacing the parts. This is on a car that’s always been garaged in a temperate climate.
krazykonrad
A zip tie works great on this part.
burton73
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 23 2024, 04:52 PM) *

A zip tie works great on this part.

Maybe a black zip tie over the rubber as a kind of secondary safety wire. I will take a couple of long black ones I have at my shop to Dutch Treat on Thursday.

Best Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.