Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New PRC Spec Class Starting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
The Porsche Racing Club PRC has announced that a new spec class, GT Limited (GTL) will be starting in 2006. I was down at JWE / Smart Racing looking at the progress of "The Beast" and they surprised me with the announcement. It seems that with the success of their 911 Toyo Cup spec series and the continued interest of folks like me that want to build/race 911's and 914's with basically stock 3.6 liter 993 motors, they are sponsoring the new class.

"The Beast" perfectly fits the new GTL class except for the requirment that the rear tires be 25 x 13 x 16 size. The most I can put under my Sheridan Narrow kit is a 23.5 x 10.5 x 16. Surgery and more $$ would be necessary, but I'm talking with the PRC to see if the language can be amended to a "MAXIMUM" of versus a must be.

Here is an exerpt from the new class rules:

GT Limited (GTL) Class Rules

Overview/Purpose

The purpose of the GT Limited Class is to provide a cost-contained, competitive specification for 911 and 914 GT cars with modifications that are well beyond the scope of the existing Production and 911 Spec Classes. The intention is to contain costs via engine specifications and the designation of a series spec tire.

The goal of the engine specifications is allow a wide range of choices, yet discourage racers from exceeding 7,000 rpm. With the 7,000 rpm threshold, it is expected that engine service intervals (e.g., for replacement of rings and rod bearings) will be longer than those of race engines revving at higher levels. Thus ongoing operating costs should be lower. In addition, competitors can further reduce costs by the use of engines that run pump gas, rather than more expensive race gas. This choice can be made within the Class rules without creating and undue disadvantage related to engine power.

The 7,000 rpm threshold is achieved by restricting the available air supply via the use of stock throttle bodies and intake plenums. The available air supply is further limited due to restrictions in the exhaust headers. Racers are discouraged from exceeding 7000 rpm as the intake and exhaust air restrictions reduce power output above that level.

The specified tire is an affordable, long-lasting, professional racing slick bias ply tire that is readily available. The tire’s price is similar to that of DOT competition tires and far less than racing radial slick tires.

The GT Limited Class will be added to the existing GT Classes for the 2006 Porsche Racing Challenge Series. Competitors will race for class honors at each event, and there will also be a season-long championship competition.

The following rules provide specific requirements for this class—all other requirements are specified and/or referenced in the NASA Porsche Racing Challenge Series Rules, the NASA Club Codes and Regulations and/or the PCA Club Racing Rules.

Chassis Requirements:

1. The chassis must be a Porsche 911 or 914 chassis up to 1995. 993 and later chassis types are prohibited. The chassis must have the floor pan, rocker panel longitudinal frame members and front firewall. The front firewall can be modified for installation of a fuel cell and/or oil tank.

2. Minimum weight with driver is 2300lbs.

3. The chassis must meet all other requirements for GT-Class cars specified and/or referenced in the NASA Porsche Racing Challenge Series Rules.

Engine Requirements:

1. All engines must be normally aspirated and air-cooled.

2. The maximum engine size is 3.6 liters. Any displacement under 3.6 liters is allowed.

3. The engine case must be a Porsche factory part.

4. Engines may have a maximum of two valves per cylinder.

5. Engine management system is free (e.g., Stock Bosch Motronic, Motec, Haltech, EFI, Electromotive, etc.)

6. The intake manifold must be from a 1984-1995 911, and must be stock from the exit of the throttle body to the intake of the cylinder head. Throttle bodies must remain stock with the exception of those changes necessary to install an aftermarket throttle position switch necessitated by the choice of engine management system. Pre-throttle body intake design, fuel injection lines, fuel rails et cetera are free.

7. The maximum primary header tube size of 1.625” O.D. Mufflers are free as long as the engine noise meets the restrictions of the various tracks.

Required Tires:

Goodyear “Sports Car Special” Bias Ply Slicks:

Front Part Number: 1652 (23.5 x 10.5 x 16, R600 compound)

Rear Part Number: 1572 (25 x 13 x 16, R600 compound)

Transmission Requirements:

1. The transmission must be a Porsche factory component.

2. The gears must use synchros (i.e., “dog boxes” are not allowed).

3. Suspension Requirements:

4. Front suspension design use MacPherson struts.

5. Rear suspension must use a factory trailing arms.

Anyone want to join me next year? Come on Trekkor....you know you want a 3.6!

The power steering rack in the 914 has been fitted. It is very trick. The car is still in pieces...but close to dry assembly. With luck we will go to paint in October and have it assembled by Christmas....

yeah...right...

laugh.gif

Bill P.
r_towle
tranny seems to be very open...

Porsche factory....doesnt porsche make lots and lots of gear sets......all are factory....

Rich
nine14cats
yeah...the way it reads is that as long as the case is Porsche and you have synchros...everything else is free.

Bill P.
Mueller
neat idea....still looking at $1000 for one set of tires...hmmm

hopefully they'll change it to "max" size so that you can run with 'em
nine14cats
Hi Mike,

Alas...tires and gas...a hefty sum.

In 2003 (our last full season), Doris and I ran the 5 race TT series, the PCA-GGR AX series, the LPR AX series, the Zone 7 AX series and ran with the NCRC track group.

We ran through 6 sets of cantilever slicks with the 2 drivers. As Doris got quicker, the tire usage really went up. Soft compound Canti's cost about $840 a set after delivery and mount/balance. That's $5K in tires alone. Since our 2.7 engine was spun so tight, we had to run race gas at $4.50 a gallon. With the rising prices of today...race gas is closer to $6 a gallon.

This thing has gotten out of hand... blink.gif

For better or worse, we plan on running the harder compounds for both auto-x and the track...that's why this spec class appeals to me...I can run pump gas and not give up much HP.

Of course...I've got to have the car finished to put gas in it..... cool.gif

Bill P.
J P Stein
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Aug 22 2005, 04:21 PM)

Of course...I've got to have the car finished to put gas in it..... cool.gif

Now there's a radical concept laugh.gif

I couldn't stand waiting for someone else to build my car.... the fact that I'm a cheep sumbitch falls neatly into that line of thinking. laugh.gif
nine14cats
Hi JP,

I actually enjoy working on the cars...I just don't have time for them in my type of jobs...at the moment.

And they fact is I'm such a CSOB I'm doing most of the rennovation of a rental house I own. So far since May we have:

Gutted the kitchen
Pulled out 60 year old wire and replaced all wiring in the house
Pulled out 60 year old plumbing and replaced all plumbing in the house
Demo'd all tile in the house
Hung new kitchen cabinents and bought all new fixtures and applicances
Painted the entire exterior
Currently painting interior

Next up:
Hang new crown and baseboards
Sand doors and casings then paint
Refinish hardwood oak floors

My new tenants will be getting a killer house....

All this gets in the way of race car stuff. And I leave for two weeks in Germany on a business trip right after Labor Day.

My head hurts.... wacko.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Aug 22 2005, 03:40 PM)
The power steering rack in the 914 has been fitted. It is very trick. The car is still in pieces...but close to dry assembly. With luck we will go to paint in October and have it assembled by Christmas....

yeah...right...

laugh.gif

Bill P.

Bill,

Good to hear there's progress on your race car, I guess you're over considering selling it. What PS did they end up installing?

How's JLO?
nine14cats
Hi Felix,

We went with the Woodward power rack. It's proven in racing and can be adjusted for the amount of assist. Jerry Woods designed a new set of mounting brackets to better fit the 914 tub and not resort to cutting. Since the CAD drawings are now the book, anyone with a 914 can have power steering.

Pretty expensive though...~$3.4K barf.gif

Doris better like it... laugh.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
Oh and JLO.....

The prep work is done on the engine bay and trunks, I just need to find time to paint them. All of my spare time is going to working on the rental to get it back up and rented....need the ca$hflow to help with "The Beast"... smile.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Aug 22 2005, 11:00 PM)
Oh and JLO.....

The prep work is done on the engine bay and trunks, I just need to find time to paint them. All of my spare time is going to working on the rental to get it back up and rented....need the ca$hflow to help with "The Beast"... smile.gif

Bill P.

pray.gif I can't even keep up my yard much less do renovation. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.