Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine racings shift linkage and bulkhead bushing SO GOOD!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Title says it all. Thanks to Chris Foley for such good stuff!
My car shifts so well now its nuts! If youve not tried it, do it. The stock setup, no matter how new the bushings are dont even come close. Why the factory only had one pickup point at the console is beyond me. Tangerines system is how it should have been from the factory! I can actually shift with 100% confidence. It was always a thorn in my side the way the car shifted. That is over!!! Click, Click, Click piratenanner.gif
Thanks Mr. Foley for all the rad products!!!!
Oh and his shifter adjustment procedure is easy as can be and the most effective ive used. beer3.gif
SO HAPPY!! biggrin.gif
Geezer914
I installed his linkage along with a Renn shifter, no more "I hope this is the right gear". Foley makes some great stuff !
914Next
Sounds wonderful. Can you comment on the extensiveness of the install? Can a handy person...but not a mechanic.....handle it? how much interior disassembly or lift work is required?

thx
Shivers
QUOTE(914Next @ Apr 24 2024, 05:50 AM) *

Sounds wonderful. Can you comment on the extensiveness of the install? Can a handy person...but not a mechanic.....handle it? how much interior disassembly or lift work is required?

thx

I just watched a video where the guy installing the kit did not remove the shifter console from the transmission to do the mods. He cut off the ear , put up the template, marked it and drilled tthe holes. That takes out a lot of work. I'd say if you are handy and take your time you can do it. If you are also doing the firewall bushing you'll need to expose the shifter inside to unbolt the shifter rod that runs through the tunnel. It has to be easier than this.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 24 2024, 09:01 AM) *
I just watched a video where the guy installing the kit did not remove the shifter console from the transmission to do the mods.

I did both of mine that way.
NARP74
Got a link for the video?
Shivers
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 24 2024, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 24 2024, 09:01 AM) *
I just watched a video where the guy installing the kit did not remove the shifter console from the transmission to do the mods.

I did both of mine that way.

Then that makes it easy enough for most to install. If you have an issue ask here for an answer. Don’t forget pictures to explain the question for dense guys like me
Shivers
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 24 2024, 07:44 AM) *

Got a link for the video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umQ7hiVg3Yc
speed metal army
Easy stuff! Took about 2 hours. No need to remove the shifter or splined shift rod in the tunnel to install the bushing.
gereed75
i have been raving about the shifting improvement ever since i installed mine 3 years ago. really improves the shifting Takes all the wiggle waggle out of the shifter rod back at the console and translates it into the exact fore aft and rotational motion the shift shaft needs to efficiently operate the gear selection lever, Brilliant.

I am using the Weltmiester short shift kit up at the shifter Coming out of the 1 - 2 detent is still notchy but once into the H the shifting is actually precise!
Olympic 914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 24 2024, 11:38 AM) *

i have been raving about the shifting improvement ever since i installed mine 3 years ago. really improves the shifting Takes all the wiggle waggle out of the shifter rod back at the console and translates it into the exact fore aft and rotational motion the shift shaft needs to efficiently operate the gear selection lever, Brilliant.

I am using the Weltmiester short shift kit up at the shifter Coming out of the 1 - 2 detent is still notchy but once into the H the shifting is actually precise!

I have the J West shifter, bronze console bushing and the Tangerine firewall bushing. I thought it shifted as good as it could get.

UNTIL I drove Gereed75 car. His is much smoother shifting, where mine is positive but notchy going into all the gears.
I have been considering the Tangerine console since then.

One of these days.....
914werke
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 24 2024, 07:01 AM) *
"He cut off the ear, put up the template, marked it and drilled the holes."

I still have the original Jwest shifter kit in a box somewhere. shades.gif
When it came to installing the kit I had a hard time cutting up the stock console, the holes ...no biggie, but there is no going back with this design idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 24 2024, 10:46 PM) *

When it came to installing the kit I had a hard time cutting up the stock console, the holes ...no biggie, but there is no going back with this design idea.gif

I don’t think you’d want to. I have the jwest version.
If you really wanted to go back to stock, just get a console from an old trans.
speed metal army
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 24 2024, 07:46 PM) *

No going back!? GOOD RIDDANCE!!! biggrin.gif
Im sure if someone actually thought the stock setup was better we could always have their head examined! laugh.gif
mm911
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 23 2024, 10:56 PM) *

Title says it all. Thanks to Chris Foley for such good stuff!
My car shifts so well now its nuts! If youve not tried it, do it. The stock setup, no matter how new the bushings are dont even come close. Why the factory only had one pickup point at the console is beyond me. Tangerines system is how it should have been from the factory! I can actually shift with 100% confidence. It was always a thorn in my side the way the car shifted. That is over!!! Click, Click, Click piratenanner.gif
Thanks Mr. Foley for all the rad products!!!!
Oh and his shifter adjustment procedure is easy as can be and the most effective ive used. beer3.gif
SO HAPPY!! biggrin.gif

I agree. Dr. Evil rebuilt my transmission, bought the Tangerine Racing linkage and bearing and the Rennshift. Best shifting 914 I have ever had. Well worth the price.
913B
if you remove the shifter console from trans I am assuming all the gear oil would dump out ??
914werke
QUOTE(913B @ Apr 25 2024, 10:31 AM) *

if you remove the shifter console from trans I am assuming all the gear oil would dump out ??

Unless you drain it first biggrin.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(913B @ Apr 25 2024, 10:31 AM) *

Yes it would. If the gear oil is new just clean your drain pan, drain the oil and reuse it after.
914werke
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 25 2024, 08:03 AM) *
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 24 2024, 07:46 PM) *
I still have the original Jwest shifter kit in a box somewhere. shades.gif When it came to installing the kit I had a hard time cutting up the stock console, the holes ...no biggie, but there is no going back with this design idea.gif
No going back!? GOOD RIDDANCE!!! biggrin.gif Im sure if someone actually thought the stock setup was better we could always have their head examined! laugh.gif

Well nowadays as cars are more & more being "restored" folks want options.
Yes its possible to source a replacement console, but if you dont have to...is betta
sunglasses.gif
Shivers
Easy to go back on mine. Like that is going to happen smile.gif
913B
How much do you hack off the console, is there a pattern/instructions that is provided?

I have a spare that I can cut off to minimize down time and swap it in.

biggrin.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(913B @ Apr 25 2024, 01:11 PM) *

How much do you hack off the console, is there a pattern/instructions that is provided?

I have a spare that I can cut off to minimize down time and swap it in.

biggrin.gif

You’ll see all that in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umQ7hiVg3Yc
jim_hoyland
Great upgrade. Did mine with help of 914Toy several years ago. Well worth doing !
krazykonrad
I wish they had one for tail shifters.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 25 2024, 05:53 PM) *

I wish they had one for tail shifters.

Convert it to a side shifter.....
914werke
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 24 2024, 08:38 AM) *

Why do you think that is? the Trans condition, the Welt SS, the kit or the combo?
Shivers
I'm glad I did the home brew version. It was fun. But I spent 300.00 to do it myself, and countless hours making parts and making sure everything lined up right. The Tangerine kit comes with everything, ready to go, and everything will line up for a few hundred more. blink.gif But if you find stuff like this fun, you'll love the challenge.

Click to view attachment
gereed75
Rich Do you mean the "notchy" thing?? Maybe a better word is "tricky" or "finicky" Just inherent I think of getting out of the dogleg spring detent 1st/reverse plane. Nothing really to do with the setup or condition. I just take it slow and a bit careful.

Once in the H it is smooth and precise.
PanelBilly
Hey, that's my video! I'm a movie star. Wish I had done a nicer job. One of these day....
speed metal army
More drives, so happy!!! Its never been so good. The linkage adjustment procedure that Foley uses is fantastic and crazy easy, its never been so dialed!
NARP74
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 26 2024, 06:30 PM) *

More drives, so happy!!! Its never been so good. The linkage adjustment procedure that Foley uses is fantastic and crazy easy, its never been so dialed!

What is that procedure?
And do you have to drain the trans fluid to install this part?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 10:46 AM) *

What is that procedure?
And do you have to drain the trans fluid to install this part?

You do not.
There is no need to remove the console from the transmission. The modifications are very simple, and there is a to-scale template included where you need to cut and drill.

Zach
NARP74
What if you want to remove it to take to to a lathe? Will the fluid leak or is the console high enough in the trans?
913B
I am not ready yet to swap the shift console.

But is there a position/gear to place the trans in, I assume shift to neutral before pulling the console out?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 11:13 AM) *

What if you want to remove it to take to to a lathe? Will the fluid leak or is the console high enough in the trans?

1) Yes, pull it out and you are going to have a stinky puddle.

2) A lathe? That is complete overkill for this application. A small amount of care with a hacksaw is all that needed, and dress it with a file.

All you are doing is clearanceing. Chris has done the precision part for you, which you bolt on to the console using the included template.

Really, its challenging to mess this up.

Zach
StratPlayer
Have that setup installed on my car, love it.
914werke
Even though there seems to be a bit of chatter whether or not to remove the console, I would recommend it.
If for no other reason than to provide an excuse to CHANGE YOUR OIL.
It seems too many owners ignore their trans until they have noise or problems.
I dont know how many gear boxes Ive serviced that may have NEVER had their oil changed or were running very low levels for a long time.
Geezer914
Remove the console so you don't end up with a butcher job like in the video!
NARP74
I have never been fond of working upside down in tight quarters...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 02:05 PM) *

I have never been fond or working upside down in tight quarters...

the required work takes about the same amount of time as it does to remove and re-install the console.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 10:13 AM) *

There is no lathe work possible on the console.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 26 2024, 06:30 PM) *

What is that procedure?

The procedure I recommend is to use my Shift Linkage Adjustment Tool. smile.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 08:13 AM) *

I think what you mean is a Mill, and you could. But if you cut it shy of the line you can make it look as nice with a small fine file and a little time. I find it peaceful smile.gif
Montreal914
This was a very fun project and the reward was extremely satisfying. I made my own based on JWest and Chris' designs.

Had a couple of tabs welded on, then use the file to smooth shape it and give it a factory look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rest of the work is documented here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=329708&hl= smash.gif driving.gif

NARP74
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 30 2024, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 29 2024, 08:13 AM) *

I think what you mean is a Mill, and you could. But if you cut it shy of the line you can make it look as nice with a small fine file and a little time. I find it peaceful smile.gif

Yes mill, no spinning the console. Would be tough to manage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.