Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Fuchs before and after Al Reed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Bought these wheels earlier this year. They had light to moderate curb rash and one wheel had some overall oxidation that made it look sort of gray. Overall not in bad condition at all. -thanks for a good deal Mark

Shipped them to Al Reed 3-4 weeks ago. I shipped them 2 wheels to a box and it cost $32 per box to ship them to Al.
Doug Leggins
Got them back today and WOW! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
these are perfect for my project!
Doug Leggins
The cost was $75 per wheel. return freight was $82.
skline
And how much was it for all of that? First born? Right leg? Spit it out buddy.

Nevermind, I posted too soon. Yes, I am a geek.
MoveQik
I have the same wheels polished by a local shop here. By comparison my wheels look like they were sandblasted.

Your wheels are sick!
Doug Leggins
mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Joe Bob
Looks gud...don't paint them!!!!
reverie
That was fast. What did he do to them?

Alex Magro in Florida ('70 Fasty on the Pelican board) does excellent work, too.
Brando
Al Reed is the man.

You should hang at the Angel's stripclub and bar next door! haha, premo real estate where his shop is biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
And being under 21 you would know how?????
Doug Leggins
I have the same wheels polished by a local shop here. By comparison my wheels look like they were sandblasted.

Michael - If you're referring to the wheels in your avatar - they look great in the avatar.

Looks gud...don't paint them!!!!

Only paintin' the back side wink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 22 2005, 07:54 PM)

Michael - If you're referring to the wheels in your avatar - they look great in the avatar.

I can assure you....the finish on your wheels are WAY better than mine. Mine look good in a 1" x 1" avatar and when they are spinning at 60mph......so I guess they look pretty good most of the time! driving.gif
Brando
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 22 2005, 07:49 PM)
And being under 21 you would know how?????

21 as of january mistar pædo!
xitspd
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 22 2005, 07:46 PM)
Al Reed is the man.

You should hang at the Angel's stripclub and bar next door! haha, premo real estate where his shop is biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif Brando! Been there, done that! Angel's was called Harvey's when I was in college. That is where I first met Al Reed! His official office....
GaroldShaffer
Doug, They look great. One more thing I want to do to my car over the winter. I have my street tires mounted on a set of nice fuchs but they need cleaned up bad. Anyone have Al do a set of rims that look stock, just the lip and paddles polished with the inset painted (or is it anodized) (sp) silver.

Alex Magro in Florida ('70 Fasty on the Pelican board) does excellent work, too.

I tried to contact him a few months ago but never heard anything back confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 23 2005, 06:07 AM)

I tried to contact him a few months ago but never heard anything back confused24.gif

I can have Alex contract you if you want to try again. I know him pretty well.

Paul
flesburg
Can you give me address and phone number of Al Reed?
xitspd
ohmy.gif 714-632-3907! Tell him Dan Callicott say's, Hello!
p914
Those look great smilie_pokal.gif
A great set of wheels are like shiny earings that set your body off.
Mueller
pretty.....

now to help protect them from brake dust and other harmfull stuff, any special wax or protectant???

Engman
Wow! What a change!

Now I know where to send the other set I have!

Doug - couple questions

Topcoating these?

Did you get your heater parts - and were they OK?

Put the new fuse panel in yet?

M
Sammy
Al is the king of bling. Pure eye candy. He will clear coat any wheel for a small extra charge, I've heard it doesn't change the appearance much at all and stands up pretty good.
I didn't get my fuchs clear coated but they stil shine pretty darn good after two years. I spend about 5 minutes a month per wheel polishing them with wenol blue. it has wax in it that helps protect the metal. Gud stuff.

I remember getting kicked out of Harvey's in the 80's, I remember behaving in Angel's in the 90's, but I've heard a rumor it is now Sugar's.
Maybe I'll have to do a drive by to confirm. It's only a mile and a half from the house wink.gif
Doug Leggins
I'm not sure what to do about a topcoat. It sound like Sammy has good experience with using wenol blue. If I can find it might give it a try.

I didn't know about the clear coat option.

Any other suggestions on proper topcoating of polished Fuchs?

I just called Al's shop. Info from Diane at Al's shop - Use windex and pledge. NEVER clean wheels when they are hot! Stay away from wheel cleaners that have harsh chemicals. Use cleaners that are designed for raw aluminum only. Mother's makes one that works well and a product called Extreme Metal Polish works well.

Mark - I did get the heater parts. They look great! I really need to post more pics.

I did not get to the fuse panel yet.
Sammy
LOL I remember Al telling me to use Pledge but i thot he was pulling my leg.
3liter914-6
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 23 2005, 01:58 PM)
I'm not sure what to do about a topcoat. It sound like Sammy has good experience with using wenol blue. If I can find it might give it a try.

I didn't know about the clear coat option.

Any other suggestions on proper topcoating of polished Fuchs?

All the hotrod guys talk about a product called Zoops seal. I don't really know the technical details, but it apparently soaks into the open pores of the aluminum and seals them from air preventing dulling and oxidation for up to a year or more depending upon use and environment.

Next time I fire up the mothers to bring the shine back out on my fuchs, I'm thinking I'll give it a try. Although, after who knows how many years of being polished without a clearcoat (at least 6 since I got them), my 5-lug fuchs still shine up nice and pretty with just quick hit of the mothers.
seanery
damn doug those look sweeet!!!!
Tobra
Here is a before pic of mine, before I put them on the car, ha, ha. I swear these things don't look like they were on and off the car more than once or twice. The guy had his original rims stolen, and he went and got these to replace them, then barely used them because he was rolling on the steel wheels while waiting for the dealer to hook him up. My brother uses Zoop on his Harley's chrome, seems to work well; I would rather do this than clear coat, as it tends to chip eventually. I am going to get some aluminum polish and detail these a bit today, the old fashioned way, with a rag and some sore fingers. I know that is the hard way, but it is very therapeutic for me. BTW, this is the worst one of the 5. Damn I have a crappy camera, what to you want for a giveaway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.