Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I find best stuff for 6 conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Looking at Patrick Motorsports engine mount. I'm getting something in between 2.2 and 2.7 for my conversion. What are current reccomendations for 914-6 sheetmetal? Any reccomendations/links appreciated.
Joe Bob
Rich Johnson, a914guy@aol.com is the best guy out there for most of your needs. Him and GPR...
Trekkor
Grant, This is great news.

keep your eyes on the classified big time.
Try to buy everything used.

Why would you, you ask?
Everything else on your car is used.
( the completed SIX cars out there for sale, that people will tell you to buy because, "you can't build a SIX for under $10k", they're used too ) wink.gif

Most things don't break or wear out.

tank- leaks or doesn't
mount- broken or not...you get the idea.

Do a $4k conversion clap.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 22 2005, 08:48 PM)
Do a $4k conversion clap.gif

trek, i hate to dis-agree with you. i'd rather see anotherone done "right" instead of hacked together ...

grant, do yourself (and me) a favor and don't cheap out on the wrong parts, you'll regret it later on. trust me, i've been there ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

engine tin is required poke.gif

do it right....and cheap if you can....but not frugal..... but dont hack it together.....
john rogers
When we put the six in my race car we used one of Jim patrick's new mounts that bolts to the bulkhead and is used by many of the vintage 2L race cars. I also used his engine tin which turned out to be cheaper than a real 914-6 set when I was looking and did not have the unnecessary holes. I use one of his hi temp clutch pulley wheels on the tranny since I had one fail and his trans temp adapter for reading the temp of the gear oil. The parts were not the cheapest, but they sure worked great.
Joe Bob
And when they break...he stands behind them.......W A Y Behind them..... dry.gif
Trekkor
I've seen hacked. And that aint mine. cool.gif

Low prices do not always equate with poor quality or compromises.

You don't have to like my throttle bell crank. ( Which works perfectly BTW ). I do and it was free. biggrin.gif

The Patrick bar is strong and you don't *need* tin.

What else you got?

KT

grantsfo
Frankly I think Trekkors car is quite functional and has proven that a decent conversion can be done without breaking the bank. I'm not out to make a concours car. Just a functional AX and TT vehicle. I put premium on over engineered parts. I'd rather not break anything while competing, etc.

There are a few others who have gone the used route who have turned out some fairly nice cars.

My car wont be a centerfold for this board. Just a solid performer.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 22 2005, 08:13 PM)

You don't have to like my throttle bell crank. ( Which works perfectly BTW ). I do and it was free. biggrin.gif

The Patrick bar is strong and you don't *need* tin.

What else you got?

KT

On the bell crank....I have one sitting on the shelf. My weld job of a fabbed bracket with a 914/4 looking assembly works fine.....
Aaron Cox
Street cars do need tin.....

wink.gif
sixnotfour
Save you're heads run tin , root werkes , 400.00 tin repo. , or this is reasonable 175.00

If you buy a patrick buy the weld in or Rich johnson or the other guy on ebay.
The bolt in one is springy.

http://www.rennspd.com/Products.asp?Task=S...dID=13&catID=11
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 22 2005, 09:59 PM)
Street cars do need tin.....

wink.gif

I think he was referring to not having to buy new tin...I agree with Grant on this one, if spending the money to do it nicely and not have to aplogize about certain items (oh that, it was free or I made it from a scrap washing machine biggrin.gif )

Nothing wrong with the backyard mechanic approach, but if one has the money and budget, why comprimise??

In the grand scheme of things he'll spend a few hundred bucks more by buying the correct parts.

mightyohm
and he won't have to capitalize SIX...

barf.gif

biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Aug 22 2005, 10:23 PM)
and he won't have to capitalize SIX...

barf.gif

biggrin.gif

hahahahaha

maybe we need to do the opposite with our lowly four
sixnotfour
You could go this route factory 914-6 13,000 in classiffieds

http://photos.yahoo.com/myoceansoul
Trekkor
Hijackers...TWO hijackers. hijacked.gif

KT w00t.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Aug 22 2005, 10:11 PM)
or this is reasonable 175.00

http://www.rennspd.com/Products.asp?Task=S...dID=13&catID=11

I'd be leary of anyone with this on their website user posted image

How 1996 is that?

laugh.gif
goose2
Grant, I'm going to be swapping my 2.4 six for a 3.0 soon and may have some bits left over (including the 2.4 motor and some headers). Not sure what I'll be replacing or not using yet, but I'm sure to have a few parts you could use. Changing from carbs to injection so maybe wiring, linkage, fuel pump, air filters and ???? I've also got a bunch of early 911 brake (non vented M caliper), suspension, and drive train stuff, some 140# rear springs with Konis, oil hoses and filter/filler parts plus who know what else if I dig deeper. I thought about keeping all this to do another conversion but remodeling my house, campaigning a race boat, keeping my business afloat...sheesh....I won't live long enough to finish all my projects if I don't ease up. BTW...got the Patrick tank and mount on my driver and no complaints. Dan Root did my conversion and it's very tidy.....I'd recommend him.
Trekkor
Good lead. smilie_pokal.gif
Definately call on Dan.

What kills me is, people say: " no don't, you can't, won't work, looks bad..."

Fact is, we're driving sixes ( SIXES ) , they are not.

A little rude?, maybe. ohmy.gif -truth can hurt dry.gif

KT

Remember, enjoy the car with any motor you want.
If it's safe and you are having fun, I'll support that. biggrin.gif

RON S.

KT

I agree Trek on the quality of use parts issue.

I have "ALL"the receipts on my 6r,since day one.

I scan the classifieds everyday for goodies.The people I contact are mostly people who've given up on their own projects,or race cars that have broken their bank.

Cheap,doesn't always mean a bad thing.

I've bought parts new,when I got tired of waiting for something to show up used,but most of what I've found was first on someone elses ride.

If I had to make a bet,I'd say I've probably saved half the cost of my ride up to this point.
At least a good 10-12k.

Not all of us have a checkbook with a limitless amount,for those that do,you are fortunate indeed.
For the rest of us,when we finish our projects,we have the satisfaction of knowing that we have laid our hands and handi-work on EVERY major sytem and component on our rides.

They truly are hand built works machines. owned.gif

Ron
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (RON S. @ Aug 23 2005, 12:32 PM)

KT

I agree Trek on the quality of use parts issue.

I have "ALL"the receipts on my 6r,since day one.

I scan the classifieds everyday for goodies.The people I contact are mostly people who've given up on their own projects,or race cars that have broken their bank.

Cheap,doesn't always mean a bad thing.

I've bought parts new,when I got tired of waiting for something to show up used,but most of what I've found was first on someone elses ride.

If I had to make a bet,I'd say I've probably saved half the cost of my ride up to this point.
At least a good 10-12k.

Not all of us have a checkbook with a limitless amount,for those that do,you are fortunate indeed.
For the rest of us,when we finish our projects,we have the satisfaction of knowing that we have laid our hands and handi-work on EVERY major sytem and component on our rides.

They truly are hand built works machines. owned.gif

Ron

agree.gif even Rich himself was posting new mounts in the classifieds not long ago at a savings... shopping ebay and classifieds is not always a bad thing...

Cap'n Krusty
I've done a few. GPR and Rich Johnson win my endorsement, hands down. NEVER heard ANY complaints about their merchandise. As for a tank, OE is my preference, whether new or used, although I've heard that GPR has a repro in the works. The Cap'n
Trekkor
GPR tank.

I heard that was going to be an aluminum, similar to the Vellios. Should be nice.

My used Vellios tank is flawless.
I hear that the thick walled aluminum tank has the ability to act as a cooler, somewhat.

KT
pete-stevers
bought my stuff from Rich...looks great, and he is a great resource as well..... but if you you want to go cheaper look around ...but it might take a little longer to find good used stuff.....
Root_Werks
Thanks Randy and Trekkor, I appreciate the kind words. biggrin.gif

Yup, you can do things right if you take the time to do them many times over. Trekkor has my prototype bell crank, so yes, it looks like crap. But ask him, works like a charm. I have installed that on no less than 4 conversions myself. Just popped it on and little adjustment and done. Smooth. Uses the 4cyl cable to, so less money spent.

I think I have sold almost 20 bell cranks to date. No one has come back to complain about even one yet. But I don't advertise that I make them anymore. People still ask for them though. Just been too busy to make them. wink.gif

Randy's six is still one of my favorites, hell, they all are. they have all been well built drivers. So you can do it and we can help! laugh.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2005, 09:48 AM)
I've done a few. GPR and Rich Johnson win my endorsement, hands down. NEVER heard ANY complaints about their merchandise. As for a tank, OE is my preference, whether new or used, although I've heard that GPR has a repro in the works. The Cap'n

Got one in my latest six that is heading down to CAMP this week. They friggen rock! I hope GPR works it out with the builder so Dave can carry them. They are bigger and lighter than stock tanks, mount just like stock, VERY nice fit. Uses all factory lines.

It would be an upgrade from a factory tank. Holds 1 1/2 more Qts of oil too!
Jeroen
check the classifieds and the "resources" forum
IIRC, Rich Johnson has a "summersale" on the engine mount

I just welded mine in last night... it's a very nice part!
(hopefully I'll test fit the engine for mock up tonight)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.