Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wutzu
Hey everybody, I've found a 914 on craigslist (I'm looking for my first) and it needs work on the transmission. The seller has told me that the synchro doesn't work right in 1st or reverse. I'm going to call the seller tomorrow and get more information, but in the meantime, what would it take to repair this (given what I know right now). How much would it cost to have a shop do it, and is this something I can do myself?
ArtechnikA
lots of "bad 1st/reverse synchro" problems are really dragging clutch. badly adjusted, ripped clutch tube, gear or engine oil on the disk... each of those has a cost to repair but is not horrible. with the possible exception of the tube, they're probably less than a synchro change.

replacing a 1st synchro isn't bad, either, and i think it's even been documented in a thread here - or possibly a Birdie Board tech article. in general, i don't recommend that transmission work be your first project, so to some extend it depends on how well equipped you are and what kind of mechanical experience you have.
SirAndy
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 04:29 AM)
in general, i don't recommend that transmission work be your first project, so to some extend it depends on how well equipped you are and what kind of mechanical experience you have.

agree.gif
Trekkor
Transaxle internal work scares me. unsure.gif

Let's say the trans in the car you want, really is bad.
You can get a good used one for under $300, all day long.

Find a "club buddy" who will help you. You can do the swap in four hours on a flat driveway.

Good time to check the clutch, clean out the engine bay,etc. ( DWD )

is the car you like fair priced?

Welcome aboard!

KT
jr91472
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 23 2005, 10:14 AM)

They used to really scare me as well until I took my first one apart. It's not to be taken likely, but not to be scared of either.

IF it truely IS a first gear synchro, it really is no big deal (trust me, I am NO mechanic). You can do it with the tranny in the car. And a syncho will only cost you about $60-70 (IIRC).

But, check all the clutch issues first. wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Aug 23 2005, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 23 2005, 10:14 AM)

They used to really scare me as well until I took my first one apart. It's not to be taken likely, but not to be scared of either.

IF it truely IS a first gear synchro, it really is no big deal (trust me, I am NO mechanic). You can do it with the tranny in the car. And a syncho will only cost you about $60-70 (IIRC).

But, check all the clutch issues first. wink.gif

And the operating sleeve, about $600 and the dog teeth about $180. Both are likely to be bad, and both are somewhat difficult to source used and in acceptable condition. In general, just the synchro band will NOT solve a 1/R problem. The Cap'n
jim_hoyland
If you are in PA, I believe Dr Evil is in your area. Said he will be doing some tranny's while attending school there
ArtechnikA
location in his profile indicates he's in California...
jim_hoyland
He definately moved-attending Med School in Hearshy
ArtechnikA
the guy who asked the question about his transmission issue is in California...

i know Mike is in Hershey - i've met him there...
Matt Monson
For reference at the other end of the scale, our rebuilt 914 gearboxes go for $1850 with core exchange. We also have plenty of good used parts, including op sleeves and dogs, for these gearboxes for the do it yourselfers among us...
wutzu
Hey everybody, Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm trying to get in touch with the seller's son right now, who has more information on the transmission issues. To clear up some questions that have been raised: Yes, I am in California, in the south bay. The car is $2000, the listing is on Craigslist. It looks to be pretty much ok, other than the transmission and the rips in the seat, and for two grand I can live with the seat.

I've never driven stick before, so what effect does bad 1st synchro have on driving? Obviously I'll have to talk to the seller to find out in this particular case, but in general, what does it mean?

Once again, thanks for all the feedback.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (wutzu @ Aug 23 2005, 06:10 PM)
...I am in California, in the south bay....

I've never driven stick before, so what effect does bad 1st synchro have on driving?

so that's like National City/Chula Vista/Imperial Beach?

depending on what the problem actually is, it means you may have trouble downshifting into 1st unless you are at a complete stop. or shifting into 1st from neutral if you *are* at a stop. expect grinding noises and clashing.
fatlando
hijacked.gif on this note.....my 1st gear only works when I hold it in place, my reverse works fine....whats the worst and whats the best of this scenario??
jim_hoyland
JUST WENT THROUGH FIXING THE POP-OUT OF FIRST PROBLEM: NEW DOG TEETH, AND SYNCHRO

THAT DOEN'T MEAN THERE ARN'T OTHER ISSUES

Aaron Cox
1st gear is expensive....

sliders are almost always toast... 400 bucks
dogteeth - 100 bucks
synchro - 65 bucks....

fatlando
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Aug 23 2005, 03:22 PM)
JUST WENT THROUGH FIXING THE POP-OUT OF FIRST PROBLEM: NEW DOG TEETH, AND SYNCHRO

THAT DOEN'T MEAN THERE ARN'T OTHER ISSUES

whats the damage on these 2 items? I got a 75 2.0
fatlando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 23 2005, 03:25 PM)
1st gear is expensive....

sliders are almost always toast... 400 bucks
dogteeth - 100 bucks
synchro - 65 bucks....

Aaron,

you're an 914world.com guru....are these the best prices that even you can get??
Cap'n Krusty
The Cap'n, in a generous and helpful mood, has found you a tranny. IF that's the problem (not the clutch, the cable, or the tube), it'll be the cheapest way for you to go.
The Cap'n, who'd like to remind you that Aaron's prices are a bit out of date.
bondo
That car looks like a good deal, if it is indeed rust free. If you know where to look, you may be able to find some rust when you look at it and get the price lowered. smile.gif
sgomes
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 23 2005, 12:57 PM)
our rebuilt 914 gearboxes go for $1850 with core exchange.

lol2.gif chairfall.gif bs.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2005, 06:15 PM)
The Cap'n, in a generous and helpful mood, has found you a tranny. IF that's the problem (not the clutch, the cable, or the tube), it'll be the cheapest way for you to go.
The Cap'n, who'd like to remind you that Aaron's prices are a bit out of date.

am i low? or too high?

oh... ask krusty what intermediate plate bearings sell for if you need em unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (sgomes @ Aug 23 2005, 09:52 PM)

bs.gif

i gather you think this is high.

-you- go add up new parts prices.
Matt Monson
Thanks Rich,

We don't claim to have the cheapest gearboxes, just the best built ones. And he brings to light a very good point. When shopping for a rebuilt gearbox, ask what they replace on a standard rebuild? Most cheap rebuilds were done cheaply and certain bearings get reused, as do dogs for 3,4,5. It is really easy to market a cheaper rebuild and not tell buyers what they are getting.

90% of the time is is cheaper for us to rebuild your gearbox because we can assess your wear and let you decide what you want to reuse and what you want to replace. Rebuilding a customer's 914 gearbox usually runs more more around $1250-1400. That $1850 is for an off the shelf box with all new synchros and dogs, etc. etc...
sgomes
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 24 2005, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (sgomes @ Aug 23 2005, 09:52 PM)

bs.gif

i gather you think this is high.

-you- go add up new parts prices.

Actually no, I think that price is low! Not only have I added up the prices but I've PAID them! And WAY more than that....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.