Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I will be in Bakersfield sept 11-16
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
I will be traveling to Bakersfield 9/11 to 16. I did notice that Buttonwillow looks close. anything going on Sunday afternoon?

anyone around?

shoot me a pm if anyone wants to go get a beer.gif
Allan
Did ya lose a bet or something??? laugh.gif

That's the weekend of the GAF over in Ventura. If ya wanna ride shotgun I'd be more than happy to have the company.

Buttonwillow is about 20 minutes from my house. The weekend of the 10th and 11th is motorcycle racing.

Whatever ya wanna do just let me know....
SirAndy
QUOTE (crash914 @ Aug 23 2005, 04:29 AM)
anything going on Sunday afternoon?

well, there's the "Rockin Rodeo", if you like that sort of thing ...

or, just go downtown and hang with the punk kids, have some beers and get a tattoo!
biggrin.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE (crash914 @ Aug 23 2005, 04:29 AM)
I will be traveling to Bakersfield 9/11 to 16.

You have my condolences. biggrin.gif

Sorry, Headrage, couldn't resist.
Sammy
I spent almost a year working in an oil refinery outside Bakersfield in 95, I learned one thing:

Q. What do you say to a good looking skinny girl in Bakersfield?

A. you're not from around here, are ya honey? wink.gif
J/K
markb
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 23 2005, 01:31 PM)
I spent almost a year working in an oil refinery outside Bakersfield

Hmmm, sounds like Oildale, to me. My Grandmother used to live there, I went out for the summers. Yeah, I know, not a good place to go for the summer, but my folks needed some time away from my sister & I. rolleyes.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 23 2005, 01:31 PM)
I spent almost a year working in an oil refinery outside Bakersfield in 95

Where did ya work? Texaco, San Juaquin or Golden Bear?

What do you get when you put 6 Oildale girls together?

An ounce of meth and a full set of teeth.....
crash914
wow! sounds like I will have a lot of fun!

I did hear that this is the vacation spot of california...
Allan
QUOTE (crash914 @ Aug 23 2005, 03:13 PM)
I did hear that this is the vacation spot of california...

I don't know about that dry.gif but I have a pool, chase loungers, B-B-Q and a blender. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I spent a week one night in Wasco....they had this Karaoke Bar and Hotplate next to the crappiest Motel I've ever stayed in....they had both kinds of music...Country AND Western....

Next day was an AX at Shafter Airrfield....

Never again.....
Maltese Falcon
Tweekers and Dalers chairfall.gif
Sammy
After the oil refinery I worked for closed down in 95 I started a small reliability engineering consulting business, but this one was more hands on than most.

I would contract with different oil refineries and look at their mechanical reliability problems, them submit an engineered upgrade plan for each problem machine, then with the help of a millwright contract company implement the upgrades on pumps, turbines, compressors, etc. The requirement was that the machines had to run continuously for 60 months with no shutdowns for maintenance other than preventative type (oil changes etc) after the upgrades.
At the time I had 15 years of experience upgrading old machines to more modern standards and designs so almost every problem I came across was a BTDT to some extent.

I went to the old Texaco plant (which is now Shell) on the west side of town for a two day contract. I got lucky and made a good initial impression, they wouldn't let me leave. I finally sold the contract and part of my company to the millwright contractor after a year (who killed it dead in two months) just so I could go home for a while. Money was very good but it was Bakersfield and my family was 150 miles away. It was also a whoooole bunch O'work.

The first week i was in Bakersfield I was staying at the sleazy 8 right off the freeway and there was a shootout in the parking lot between police and some guy in a van.
Hundreds of shots fired, suspect dead, and a bullet shattered both the door windows of my truck. It was November and cold as all get out at night and I didn't have any door windows. Nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.