Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kumho V710 is heat cycled worth it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I plan to order a set of Kumho V710's for my new rims. These will be used just for AXing. I plan to order from Tire Rack at $143 each. They offer heat cycled at $158 each is this really worth it if these are only used for AXing? I know its only $60 more, but I do own a 914 so I am somewhat of a cheap bastard cool_shades.gif

What's adavantage of having them heat cycled? Better / longer tire life?
bd1308
hey...

I would say that heat-cycling may change the molecular make of the material favorably....the point is how much and that i do not know...

my guess is heat-cycling makes the compound softer??
Joe Ricard
I say no. because it won't really help. 1st event you will have the tires up to temp in 2 runs. after that you will need to spray them with water to keep from over heating from heat soak.

These cars are light enough to not wear tires like the bigger cars do.

My A compound Hoosiers have 10 runs 1st event got real hot and 5 additional runs last Saturday 132 degrees inside and 129 outside. Wear is great but will tweak camber just a little. 31 PSI hot.
ran .400 second from Hot shot Houston National regular running 710's and I suck as a driver.

Anyway I say no heat cycle. watch your tires temps and be prepared to cool em.
GaroldShaffer
That works for me, anything to save some money. cool_shades.gif Right......914, save money.... screwy.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea, you can tell the 710 guys because they have one of them 2 gallon pump up bug sprayers.
nynone4
I've always just heat cycled new race tires myself when new rather than pay to have it done. Put them on the car, drive them for a mile or two to heat them up to operating temperature, then take them off the car when you return, and allow them to cool over the next 24 hours or so in a cool, dark place. They will last longer and wear better than if you don't do the initial heat cycle.
GaroldShaffer
idea.gif
Joe Ricard
Now your talkin terrorize the the bimbos at the mall. and heat cycle the tires. Uh yes officer I was Uh ..... well No really it make them last longer.

I actually did that around the block once clockwise and once counter clock wise. Took the stickers right off and wore a grin on my face for the rest of the day.
Actually didn't get a real heat up till the event.
Trekkor
I heat cycled my Hoosiers on the street.

Run 'em hard for about 15 mins on a lonely back road with some turns.

24 hours is good , but a week is better.

The heat cycling gets the smooth surface off and breaks them in, releasing chemicals. Brad explained it better once.

KT
Demick
QUOTE (nynone4 @ Aug 23 2005, 09:04 AM)
Put them on the car, drive them for a mile or two to heat them up to operating temperature,

A mile or two isn't going to get the tires up to temperature. I've read to run them at freeway speeds for 30-45 minutes, then take them off and let them sit for a few days. Dunno how much good it does.

Demick
VegasRacer
I don't know about auto-x, but for road racing heat cycling is the only way to go. I would get 2 - 3 more weekends worth of life out of a set to tires if they had been heat cycled.

If you want to do it yourself, a short drive on the freeway ain't gonna cut it. You need to get the tires HOT. What you are doing is changing the molecular structure of the rubber. The heat cyled tires will form new molecular bonds that are stronger (last longer and grip better). Take them off, lay them flat and let 'em cure for 24 hours or more.
GaroldShaffer
So I guess the answer to my question is do what I want. laugh.gif I think this time I won't heat cycle them and see how the wear is. When it comes time to replace them I will go the heat cycled route. YMMV
Joe Ricard
I still vote for racing around the nieghborhood. If'n you got real serious you can get a tire pyrometer. 130 degrees is a good temp. however I have heard of the tires getting WAY hotter than that. IDONNO. But 130 was what my tires settled in at after 3 runs 10 -15 minutes between runs.
GaroldShaffer
Just got done ordering my Kumho's. Going to Tire rack tomorrow am to have them put on the rims. If I have time tomorrow I will put them on the car and take a few pics, damn my next AX isn't until Sept 18th gotta find one sooner than that biggrin.gif burnout.gif driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Cool, oh yea be carefull when lowering your car off the jack. You could have some interference issues with those big fatty tires.
Hate for you to get the F'n tire stuck in the fender well. wink.gif
slow911
Garold- PCA Michiana is having an autocross at TireRack on the 27th, just in case you were wondering....and needed a fix. driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
I know, but we are taking the boy to Union IL to the railroad museum for the "Day out with Thomas". We did this last year also I guess I am screwy.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 23 2005, 09:24 AM)
I heat cycled my Hoosiers on the street.

Run 'em hard for about 15 mins on a lonely back road with some turns.

24 hours is good , but a week is better.

The heat cycling gets the smooth surface off and breaks them in, releasing chemicals. Brad explained it better once.

KT

Thats what I do. I have a perfect road to heat cycle out my front door. Perfect pavement, no traffic and four miles of awesome twisties to get the tires hot.
Trekkor
I'm going to go heat cycle my 710's right now cool.gif

They fit well on the car. The Hoosiers are wider... dry.gif

KT
Trekkor
Just got back ohmy.gif

ran for about 40 minutes, hills, back roads, freeway.

Very nice tires.
They ride like street tires, yet feel/stick like Hoosier's clap.gif

Couldn't get to much heat into 'em, though.

started at 35 psi cold and they grew to 37 front and 38 rear.

114° front and 132° rear at the hottest.
( although I couldn't get the A3S04's that hot at the last a/x )
Time to put them into storage until this coming thursday, the day before my DE at Thunderhill. boldblue.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.