Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Ski Resorts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
I was told, not asked mind you, that we were going away for Christmas and since I always wanted to go snow skiing that is what we are going to do. So having NEVER been skiing before any suggestions on resorts, is one area better than another? The only requirement is that it be in the USofA. flag.gif
jasons
Since you are a total beginner, you don't "need" to go to Colorado, Utah, Tahoe. You could opt for one of the smaller east-coast areas like Snowshoe in VA, 7-springs in PA, or go up to New England to Killington or Stowe(which are both big resorts).

The best skiing is out west, but if you are a beginner you won't be able to fully take advantage of that. Plus lift tickets at some of the resorts are mucho $. By the time you get your lift ticket, rent equipment, buy lessons and get raped for food, you will be well over $100 per person per day, just for skiing. It also depends what you like to do.... If you are just 2 adults and you like gambling, Reno is a good option. If you live a very affluent lifestyle, then Aspen is for you. If you have a family with kids then you have different choices.

Since you are a beginner, I wouldn't get to hung up on the quality of the skiing, I would look at the other things you will want to do on your trip. You will probably only be good for a couple of days of skiing before you are too sore and tired of falling.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 23 2005, 09:31 AM)
Since you are a beginner, I wouldn't get to hung up on the quality of the skiing, I would look at the other things you will want to do on your trip. You will probably only be good for a couple of days of skiing before you are too sore and tired of falling.

It is planned to be my wife, son (9 years old by then ohmy.gif when did that happen), me, and my sister in law and her husband. We would like to have alot of activities besides skiing so that we have other options. My parents may also show up, which would be a load of entertainment in it's special way....... drunk.gif
rhodyguy
go to borders and buy a copy of Skiing magazine. there should be quite a few areas advertising package deals. travel, accommodations, rentals and lessons. if you aren't in good shape you might start training now. even if you are in good shape, ski specific conditioning is a good idea. you need to book soon, as that's the busiest time of the year. look for ski reasorts with elevation and snow making capabilities. lots of choises in summit county colorado area. breckenridge, copper mnt, loveland, vail, beaver creek, loveland...i'm sure i missed some. i don't know what elevation nesbit is, but you're going to be gasping when you start exerting yourself at 7k+ft.

k
jasons
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 23 2005, 06:52 AM)
lots of choises in summit county colorado area. breckenridge, copper mnt, loveland, vail, beaver creek, loveland...i'm sure i missed some.
k

You missed one of my favorites, if not my favorite area of all time. Arapahoe Basin is in Summit County. Its the only area I've been to that people set up barbecues and kegs in the parking lot! clap.gif
SGB
I've Skied a lot of places. I think Utah offers the most for the $. It has been a few years, but last time we went, we did 2 days at Park City (south of SLC, where Redford does his film thing- la de da) and 2 days at Powder Mountain (north of SLC- low $ and simple layout w only 3 lifts but has night skiing). Colorado is pretty. Steamboat Springs has better value than Aspen or Vail. East skiing i dunno, but I've been told it is great for the $. Where ever you go, take a lesson rfrom a pro. It is critical to having a good time (hurtling uncontrolled down mountain MAY not be appealing).
charlesmac
Last year i went to South Carolina in December, can't remember the name of the resort, but they had less than half the runs open and it was blown snow, more like ice. They just didn't get the snow they usually do, plus it was warmer when we went. That's one thing to consider, I like natural conditions much better. Skiing out west, or snowboarding in my case, is great. I learned at Heavenly, Lake tahoe. Gotta be my favorite, at least the scenery. Steamboat is great, Copper, Breckinridge, so many to choose from. Definately do some research to see what else is offered, snowmobiling, showshoeing, cross country, whatever you think you might like.
Oh, I might get to go to switzerland for a few days in the spring!! come on lottery!!!!
i love porsche
i say if you are new to skiing, go to a smaller, family oriented resort...smugglers notch in VT comes to my mind...its one of my favorites on the east coast...lots of room and not a crowd, there is also alot of other things to do..with a hotel on the mountain and much lodging close by,

a family oriented resort will be much more laid back and more pleasant to learn on
TROJANMAN
BRECKENRIDGE, CO

best place for a family, and Summit county is super affordable to stay in. plus you can ski Keystone and A-Basin on the same pass. biggrin.gif and it's probably cheaper for you to fly to CO than any other state. and Breckinridge is super friendly for beginners because the base of the mountain is relatively flat.
Sammy
Here's my list of favorites:
1) Alta (SLC)
2) Snowbird (SLC)
3) Monarch (west of Colorado springs)
4) China peak (Fresno side of mountain range from Mammoth)

I like these places because they are not that crowded, great skiing, and the cost is either cheap or very reasonable. BTW it's been many moons since I visited these places, lots might have changed.
Mark Henry
I would take lessons at smaller hills first...you will get more out of your big trip if you know how to ski a bit.

Why not Canada? You still get more bang for your US buck.

Canada Mt Tremblant and St. Anne's Quebec...Helo skiing in the rockies.

I've also been to Stowe, Smugglers and Jay's peak in VT very nice powder.
iamchappy
Dont go east, I have skied just about everywhere in the states, Depending on what you want to spend will determine where you should go, least expensive is usually Montana.
All mountain areas will have areas for beginner skiers.

My favorite and the only place I care to go anymore is Jackson Hole. You cant beat the views of the Tetons.

johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 23 2005, 01:47 PM)

I just hate Canada ar15.gif lol2.gif just kidding....

What is crossing the border like these days? None of us has passports, not that we couldn't fix that.
Toast
Mammoth in California, Kirkwood in Lake Tahoe, and Alta in Utah.

(insert skiing smilie)

mueba.gif

I've been jonesing to go skiing since June! monkeydance.gif
johnmhudson111
Maybe I can visit these guys....
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Aug 23 2005, 02:21 PM)
My favorite and the only place I care to go anymore is Jackson Hole. You cant beat the views of the Tetons.

Jackson Hole sound pretty cool, my son would have a field day with it, his name is Jackson biggrin.gif Plus if Yellowstone is close by that might be a cool side trip....

Need a skiing smiley type.gif
MJHanna
QUOTE (Toast @ Aug 23 2005, 01:31 PM)
Mammoth in California, Kirkwood in Lake Tahoe, and Alta in Utah.

(insert skiing smilie)

mueba.gif

I've been jonesing to go skiing since June! monkeydance.gif

Alta is for Skiing ONLY no snowboarder allowed. Its my favorite. smilie_pokal.gif But it does not have the "rest' of the package you are looking for. Go to Park City......
djm914-6
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Aug 23 2005, 11:50 AM)
i say if you are new to skiing, go to a smaller, family oriented resort...smugglers notch in VT comes to my mind...its one of my favorites on the east coast...lots of room and not a crowd, there is also alot of other things to do..with a hotel on the mountain and much lodging close by,

a family oriented resort will be much more laid back and more pleasant to learn on

Yup, that's my favorite family resort too. If you gat a place on the mountain, you never need to see your car for the time you're there. Three mountains with lots of trails and lots of apre ski family activities.

My next choice is Steamboat CO. The town is very nice and the skiing is great. I can also attest that the ski patrol and ER are very nice too.
Toast
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Aug 23 2005, 12:50 PM)
Alta is for Skiing ONLY no snowboarder allowed. Its my favorite. smilie_pokal.gif But it does not have the "rest' of the package you are looking for. Go to Park City......

That's why I like Alta. Keeps my poles from being bent by poking snowboarders sitting on the slopes as I pass by them at high speeds. happy11.gif
rhodyguy
something else to bear in mind. as a novice skier, there's not much point in picking an area that has a large proportion of black diamond runs. plan on having your kids take their lessons with a group of kids and you take yours with an adult grouping. here's a little test to see how ski ready your legs are. place your back against a wall. slide your back down so you knees are at just greater than 90*. hold that for 20 seconds, raise up, do it again, and again. are your thighs burning yet? breathe!!!

k
MJHanna
QUOTE (Toast @ Aug 23 2005, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Aug 23 2005, 12:50 PM)
Alta is for Skiing ONLY no snowboarder allowed.  Its my favorite.  :trophy:  But it does not have the "rest' of the package you are looking for. Go to Park City......

That's why I like Alta. Keeps my poles from being bent by poking snowboarders sitting on the slopes as I pass by them at high speeds. happy11.gif

Me too.... And as I went to High School at the base of the mountain and had a season pass....and was on work release program to work construction in the afternoons, if you saw the skis on the back of the VW you KNEW were I was going for 2-3 hours. boldblue.gif
Sammy
I learned to ski at Alta when I was six.
They had a little tow rope hill, a few bunny hills, and finally after several trips I was running the albion. Good memories. I prolly skied there 300 times, I grew up not too far from there in Kearns which was a nice place then, nowadays tell someone you grew up in kearns and they say "you musta been a tough kid".

iamchappy
Yellowstone and Teton National park all in the same area, Yellowstone entrance is about an hour drive from Jackson. Togwotee pass and Yellowstone has the finest snowmobiling anywhere, I have friend by the name of Carter who has been a guide there for the past ten years. Let me know if your interested and I'll hook you up. Another very close friend Charlie has a rental shop for snowmobiles, trucks, minis and humvees, he also owns a nice tangerine 914-6, he can set you up with Carter also.

If you decide to go there tell Charlie your from the 914 Club and Chappy sent you.

Jackson has been a home away from home for me since 1970 I have ten good friends that live and work there.

Links:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/index.summer.asp

http://www.jacksonhole.com/index.winter.asp

http://www.togwoteesnowmobile.com/

http://www.jacksonholerecreationalrentals.....com/index.html

Don Wohlfarth
Christmas and Presidents Day weekend are probably the busiest times for ski resorts because the kids are out of school. Don't fool around, book a place early.
I wouldn't fool around on the east coast so early in the ski season, go west young man go west. wink.gif East coat may not have any snow or cold enough to keep what little they have.
Being a beginer you don't need a big mountain or a big resort. A good place to look at would be Park City, nice little town with plenty to do besides ski. You can rent town houses or stay in a hotel. Almost any place in Colorado would do. Montana is cheaper than most but it's a long way from MS. wink.gif
Just starting out I wouldn't go to Jackson Hole because most of the skiing is pretty tough.
iamchappy
Dont let all of the expert terrain scare you off, they have one side of the mountain called Apres Vous for beginners and intermediate skiers, which after a few lessons you will be carving up like a pro.

Look at the big picture at what Jackson has to offer, you will see moose and elk everywhere, Yellowstone in the winter is awesome.

I"m done.
Toast
The best Holiday that I went skiing on was on Thanksgiving. There was hardly anyone there, and the I hit so many slopes that I couldn't walk the next day! It was a total blast!

Oh, and John, your thighs are gonna BURRRRNNNN! wacko.gif
Scott S
If you come to CO, here are my reccommendations:

First choice - Vail
2nd - Vail
3rd - Vail
4th - Beaver Creek
5th - Vail

Keystone is a death trap at the end of the day. Breck is good but the town is not what it appears - one t-shirt shop after another. The drive to Steamboat and Aspen is a killer. Copper mountain and Winterpark are fine skiing, but there is nothing to do afterwards. A-basin is old school - great skiing, one tiny base lodge for food and bathrooms (and a killer deck when the weather is good), but absolutely nothing else.

If you want to experience several areas and have a rental car, you should stay in Dillon and ski the various close by areas (Keystone, A-basin, Breck and Copper - you could also easily do Vail). If you want to get there and not futz with anything, I would go Vail for sure. If you do decide to come to Colorado, drop me a line, I would be happy to be a tour guide. I will most likely be at our place in Dillon on the weekends anyway.
sjhowitson
Park City Mountain. Park City, Utah Great packages. The best snow on the planet. Plenty of family fun. www.parkcitymountain.com
Mark Henry
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Aug 23 2005, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 23 2005, 01:47 PM)

I just hate Canada ar15.gif lol2.gif just kidding....

What is crossing the border like these days? None of us has passports, not that we couldn't fix that.

You don't need passports...Drivers licence, birth cetificate and a couple of other bits of ID (photo ID is better) and your good to go.
If your taking your kids without the wife a letter of permission "might" be wise.

The Quebec sites like Mt Tremblant are fantastic...might not be the rockies but the French cusine and atmosphere makes up for it.

Speaking of the food...I'm glad I don't live there...I'd be 600lbs by now. laugh.gif

Most speak English..at least enough to get by and they're very nice...they do want your money after all wink.gif

BTW I've also been helo skiing in the rockies...breath taking...But you need to be an expert skier for that rush. I doubt if I'll go out west again...too much coin (for me) and BTDT.

In western Canada Trail was cool, but so was Grouse Mountain...nowhere near the biggest but about 25min from downtown Vancouver BC.

http://www.mt-tremblant.com/homeanglais.html

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/membres-deta...nMajMajorBc=700

Tour operator (private)

http://www.skican.com/

firstknight13
smilie_pokal.gif killington, vt. first to open with over 200 trails!!! and most important last to close with over 250" per year +++manmade my famliy gets season passes EVERY year. perfect turn school : aperes family fun ; lots to do before during and after sking smilie_pokal.gif
Brent
You want a ski vacation you will talk about for years, go to Yosemite and Badger Pass. Badger Pass ski resort is pretty much beginner only. Then you can get your Ansel Adams on with the majestic views of snow covered Half Dome and the other peaks. Tenaya Lodge is a great place to stay, and taboganing for the kids is priceless.

I prefer Whistler and the Village apres Ski life, but haven't been out of the country since 9/11.
merrill
I have skiied all over the States and a few places off continent. I rate the N American continent:
1. Alaska
2. Jackson Hole
3. Squaw Valley
4. Whistler, Blackcomb
These are rated for expert adventurer.

For the Tahoe area and family friendly, wallet as well as staff- Northstar, Homewood. Northstar is much more crowded and a bit more on the wallet. Homewood is cost effective at $25 per ticket, lessons add to the bottom line. You can find decent rental homes and condo's anywhere at www.vrbo.com

Good luck and have a great time!
morgan_harwell
1st stop for you should be the book store where you will pick up "Skiing for Dummies". Great read for newbies & experts.

2nd stop is ski school.
The first time I went skiing I didn't go to ski school, had a mersirable day! The next time I went skiing (22 years later) I went straight to ski school and had a BLAST that day. Been a season-pass holder ever since and put in 16-20 ski days per season.

If you come out West, Squaw Valley, NorthStar and Heavenly Valley all have great ski/school packages and are very 'family friendly'.

--Moe--
To ski or not to ski?
What a dumb question!
SM2270
I would definitely try snowmobling if you get the chance. But be warned: it is ADDICTING!!! aktion035.gif (I pick up my new sled in about a month.) mueba.gif w00t.gif
Probably easier than skiing. But why be limited to going only downhill, when you can go uphill even faster!! And you can go... anywhere.
I know people who ski and they seem to like it. I think you want to stay away from the trees. Just the fact that you're outside getting fresh air enjoying the scenery is the important part. Just dress WARM!
You haven't lived unless you've breathed -30F.

Scott.
Eric_Shea
Sammy... a man after my own backyard. Alta and Snowbird are about 15 minutes away. The B.E.S.T. but... I'm biased. Here's some pics:

Whiffy and I doing the Alta A
Eric_Shea
More Alta-tude
Eric_Shea
How about this years "Teener Tom" adventure? This was March. A view from the top.
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 23 2005, 10:47 AM)
I would take lessons at smaller hills first...you will get more out of your big trip if you know how to ski a bit.

Canada Mt Tremblant and St. Anne's Quebec...Helo skiing in the rockies.

I've also been to Stowe, Smugglers and Jay's peak in VT very nice powder.

"Why not Canada? You still get more bang for your US buck."

Thats what I was going to suggest.
If you want night life /sights and GREAT SKIING-

Try Whistler ... there are TWO big Mtns there ( Blackcomb too).

For the past 7-9 years , rated NUMBER 1 ski resort in North America.

I know, this season I had 27 days there.. also just bid and won a new Rossi Scratch BC for $425 on EBay yesterday cool.gif
I'M GETTING READY laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
More?
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Aug 24 2005, 07:24 PM)
Sammy... a man after my own backyard. Alta and Snowbird are about 15 minutes away. The B.E.S.T. but... I'm biased. Here's some pics:

Eric,

YOU LUCKY... cool.gif
Eric_Shea
I could bore you all day... we know how to entertain our teener friends.

I don't agree with the comment about "it doesn't matter where you go as a beginner". Here's why: Most of the great resorts in UT, CO etc. have long and easy green runs. Most of the smaller hills have "1 minute you're done" bunny runs. You'll spend your time learning how to ski at a good resort not learning how to ride a lift. Alta has a fatastic green run and it will have you graduating to blues by the afternon hour if you've got decent balance.
MJHanna
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Aug 24 2005, 09:24 PM)

Eric, pssssst, be quite dry.gif send them to Park City , shorter lift lines remember laugh.gif
Sammy
I was in SLC last month on the way to Jellystone, stayed in the Raddison suites on west temple for one night. Got a chance to drive by the old house and check out a few sites, didn't have time to look anyone up cause it was a family thing. The wife would not have liked if I spent time with some Porsche buddies.
SLC looked much better than I remembered it, but it was hot!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.