Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No more Carrera GT in the US
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
This pisses me off. I was going to give 'em my deposit this weekend. mad.gif

Porsche won't bring in the final 200-plus Carrera GT supercars planned for the United States - and, surprisingly, dealers couldn't be happier.

"I'm thrilled," says Jerry Nelson, owner of Schneider + Nelson Porsche in West Long Branch, N.J. "From the beginning I thought there were too many being built."

Porsche says the $440,000 car won't meet 2006-model requirements for smart airbags, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wouldn't grant a waiver.

"It's a business decision," a Porsche spokesman says. "The cost of engineering the two-stage airbags and recrashing the cars just to make them model-year 2006 cars just doesn't make sense."

Porsche is cutting total output of Carrera GTs to 1,250 units, from 1,500. Most of the 250 dropped units would have gone to the United States, the spokesman says. Since the Carrera GT went into production in January 2004, 396 have been sold in the United States through July.

Dealers say keeping the numbers down will help keep values high.

Nelson says Porsche initially told dealers it would build only 1,000 and charge $399,000. "We let that word get out to our customers, but then the number went up to 1,500 and $440,000," he says.

Many prospects view the car "as an investment," Nelson says, and asked why Porsche was building so many Carrera GTs, when Ferrari usually only makes 400 or so when it has a limited-edition car.
Joe Bob
How many are still on the road...they seem to have one crash every week.
GaroldShaffer
I guess you could always go to CarMax and see if they have a used one on the lot laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
just as well. when you do a 720-degree spin on city streets and rip out the undercarriage on the centre divide, the airbag is the least of your worries. if you hit the wall at the track at 180 at a DE event, the airbag won't help you.

there are several/many languishing in showrooms right now - you don't need to leave a deposit, you can just pay cash and drive away...
URY914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 07:41 AM)

there are several/many languishing in showrooms right now - you don't need to leave a deposit, you can just pay cash and drive away...

I'll take my debit card and see if I can strike a deal lol2.gif

P
Cap'n Krusty
Old news. Read it several places a couple of weeks ago. Despite what the official line is, there's that lingering thought that the number of crashes per car sold has to be worrisome ............... The Cap'n
neo914-6
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 23 2005, 07:39 AM)
How many are still on the road...they seem to have one crash every week.

wonder what they do to the salvaged ones... idea.gif
phantom914
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 23 2005, 07:39 AM)
How many are still on the road...they seem to have one  crash every week.

wonder what they do to the salvaged ones... idea.gif

Thoughts of engine conversion dancing in you head?

................................I meant putting a TypeIV in the CarreraGT of course. unsure.gif
...........better handling and truer to Porsches roots than that big heavy WC engine.

Andrew
LvSteveH
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2005, 08:00 AM)
Despite what the official line is, there's that lingering thought that the number of crashes per car sold has to be worrisome ...............  The Cap'n

Of the people that can afford a GT, how many of them are actually competent to drive them? Not many I'd guess.

A brilliant mind in another post said of 1000hp cars, "Just because you have 1000 hp doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, if the situation calls for 500hp use it.... it's called throttle control.

Well, the relative travel of a throttle pedal is limited to say 4 inches or so, which means on a very fast car, the control required is increasingly delicate. In a GT, 1/4" of throttle position could deliver 30hp, in a 1000hp car, that same 1/4" would be perhaps 50hp. A quick stab of the throttle in cars like that is very much like hitting a 300hp nitrous oxide button. If the wheels aren't pointed straight, good luck.
Brando
I think you nailed it when saying how many of those who own CGTs are competent enough to drive them...
CptTripps
That's a car that should require a test and interview to buy.

There is a local Ferrari dealer that won't let you buy one till you show proof that you have had advanced drivers education. They had an ad to that effect a few years ago. something like "We don't want everyone's business." I thought that was cool...
Maltese Falcon
I agree, unlimited budgets for fast toys with limited skills to handle the brute power--definitely some kind of Drivers Education should be in the "Deal" for the new buyer.
Check out this ad, circa 1974 , racer Peter Revson endorsed a sports car dealership , proll'y his sideline when not racing, and LOOK what he offered every Lotus, Pantera or Jensen buyer...FREE rolleyes.gif
It was available then, why not now ?
Marty
smg914
I decided to take a break from playing my guitar around 11:30am today. I get in my Jeep to go out and get something to eat. As I'm pulling up to Tampa Palms Blvd (within my housing development) I see a silver Carrera GT fly by. I remember saying "holly crap" out loud and then proceed to try and catch up to him but I never saw it again. It sure caught my attention and it got my blood pressure up there too. What a great day!
URY914
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 24 2005, 10:54 AM)
I decided to take a break from playing my guitar around 11:30am today. I get in my Jeep to go out and get something to eat. As I'm pulling up to Tampa Palms Blvd (within my housing development) I see a silver Carrera GT fly by. I remember saying "holly crap" out loud and then proceed to try and catch up to him but I never saw it again. It sure caught my attention and it got my blood pressure up there too. What a great day!

Hey Steve I saw you, but I was late for my manicure appt. so I couldn't turn around to say hi.

See you at the b-fast...

your friend,

Paul biggrin.gif
smg914
Paul,

I said I saw a "carrera GT"...Not a "Ford F350 Super Duty Pickup Trunk"
URY914
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 24 2005, 11:17 AM)
Paul,

I said I saw a "carrera GT"...Not a "Ford F350 Super Duty Pickup Trunk"

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? mad.gif
MattR
Personally Im glad there are no more CGTs in the US. Now the prices on our 914s will skyrocket! All those guys spending 500k on a mid engined porsche supercar can now invest their money in like 50 914s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.