Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bed in procedure for Porterfields R4-S?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
anyone know the bed in procedure for these pads?

AA
john rogers
I went and did about 15 stops from 20 MPH or so to zero and then several from 40 MPH to zero and then several from 65 MPH to zero. I let the pads cool off and then went out and did a couple of stops from "fast" to zero and let the pads cool. When I did the first race I did several laps with easy braking and then I used then hard. That seems to have worked well.
brant
I always try to break in any pad just like John says.

However, no matter how much break in attemps I make, it always seems that I loose my pads once the first time they get really hot on track.

after that everything is fine.

I've had the same lost pad experience with KFP's, RS4's, and any pad I've ever tried.

for street work this never happens, but for true track work the first time I really get on the pad hot the pedal starts to go and the stopping ability is reduced.

I've learned to always break pads in under practice conditions with a clear track and a run off strategy planned.

After one corner of that and an easy cooling off lap everything is fine!

brant
Aaron Cox
love this club. thanks guys!

AA
Aaron Cox
UPDATE

pads in.. brakes bled....Pads bed in....

OMG - these pads rock! very sloppy at first... the 60-0 stops woke them up.
wow...what a difference. A little pull to the right idea.gif
Eddie914
Here is a great write-up ...

Brake Pad Bedding-In Procedure

Eddie
SGB
the link implies to me that anyone with "performance" pads (i think race/street prolly describes the kinda pads that I and most others have: "PRB" from pelican) needs to do this to bring the brakes up to real potential. So does it benefit someone to do this for a non-track car? Is there a down side? High pad consumption is a price I would pay for optimized performance....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.