Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT lightning strike thru an aircraft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg/plane_japan.php

Check out the above link for a neat set of photos of a plane taking a lightning strike! Incredible, don't know if pilot returned to land after this, I think I would.

cheers

PS looks like a Boeing Jumbo Jet, hump on the front of the fuselage gives it away. Since the plane made it, I say "If it aint' Boeing, I aint' going."
Midtowner
Gnarly. I had lightning strike a crane 50 yards away from me in Colorado few years back. Scared the shit out of me. blink.gif
SirAndy
that actually happens quite frequently.
all commercial airliners are build to withstand a lighting strike just like that one ...

cool pictures! scary stuff ...
cool.gif Andy
SLITS
Ahhhh, no problem matey, but the in-flight meals were actually hot when served!
ArtechnikA
the lightning runs through the skin of the airframe, which is basically a big Farraday cage for the occupants.

friend of mine was a Captain on a JAL 747 when it was struck in flight. he says NBD, airliners get hit about once a year (each airplane...). the pax, mostly elderly Japanese headed to vacations in Hawaii, become agitated, and he's right in the middle of a cockpit announcement telling them all it's no big deal, everything is fine - when the aircraft gets another hit to the tail - and his surprised scream at the jolt he took through the rudder pedals did little to actually calm the passengers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.