Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exit thru the window!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
A windows question post on the bird board got me thinking, have any of you tried to exit the car through the window with driving suit, cool shirt plugged in, helmet and Hans device on? I did last summer and nearly gave myself a hernia! My wife said I couldn't race any more unless I could do (I'm over 60 now), so I did the emergency exit test and I don't want to ever have to again!
SirAndy
QUOTE (john rogers @ Aug 23 2005, 12:27 PM)
have any of you tried to exit the car through the window with driving suit, cool shirt plugged in, helmet and Hans device on?

yupp, that's the only way to get in and out of this baby as the doors are only there for cosmetics (read: they don't open!) ...

cool_shades.gif Andy (we need a workout smily)
tat2dphreak
you think you're one of those damn Duke boys now huh? this ain't no Dodge Charger wink.gif
theol00
Modify your cage that you can open the door and crawl in that way - or is this a dumb reply - duh confused24.gif
MJHanna
John, just remove the top like I did. ohmy.gif less weight and easier to bail.
URY914
Cut a hole in the roof and hold it on with duct tape from the inside. Pull the tape to release the hatch. (Don't know if this is legal but sounded like a good idea confused24.gif )

Paul
john rogers
Since I can't bring myself to cut the top off quite yet, I had decided if I ever needed to get out in a hurry and the door won't open, then it it poping to top off. It is held on the back with 3 bolts with spacers so it should come off quickly!
machina
I don't have a hans but I can get out with the door closed if I have to.

Like Paul said, I have seen a couple 914 racecars where the guy went out the top of the car. Might be a problem though if you don't "keep the shiny side Up" rolleyes.gif
Allan
I tried it once after putting the car on a trailer. Got it on and then realized I couldn't open the door. I got no roll bar and it was tough...
xitspd
ohmy.gif Randy Beck is the KING of 914 window in "n" outs! This guy can really drive a teener and slithers in "n" out of one like a snake. POC 914 legend. Check out his in car video at the LA Street Race if you get a chance. I have done one exit through the window following a roll over...... It works best with a quick release steering wheel and hub!
redshift
Uhh... an ex German girlfriend refused to use the doors. smile.gif

(rolling down window to get laid smiley)

M
Eric_Shea
I had to do it at the neighbors house once, husband came home and... ohhhhhhh you meant the car. Nevermind.
VegasRacer
At a SCCA race a few years ago, the Safety Stewards made every driver demonstrate their emergency exit. I was amazed that most people had never even tried it before. Having a plan (and a back up) should be manditory.

This is the major reason I choose to have a lever latch for my 5 point harness. I saw several drivers fumble with their cam latch, but those of us with a lever latch all got it on the 1st try. Sure a cam latch is easier to hook up. For me the lever latch is easier to get out of.

Your wife cares about you John. Practice. It could save your life.
The same advice goes for everybody else who tracks their car.
ChrisFoley
When you practice - have a couple of drinks and do it in the dark. This will simulate the confusion of an emergency situation. ohmy.gif unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.