Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lost key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfs911
Need your help please,
Have a 73 2ltr that i have been working on and i have lost the keys.
i have 2 parts cars, is it easy to pull the ignition cylinder and related parts from them?
thanks
John
Montreal914
Contact our lock resident expert @Thecabinetmaker
bdstone914
@jfs911

Did your ignition key work on the rear trunk? If so you can remove the trunk lick and that it to a locksmith who can make a key to match the lock. I have had it done for $35.
TheCabinetmaker
What Bruce said! If you can't get it done locally, I charge 30 for that. Be very careful when reinstalling the lock. The release tang on the back of the lock must be in the 12 o'clock position or the trunk will not open!
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(jfs911 @ May 26 2024, 09:28 PM) *

Need your help please,
i have 2 parts cars, is it easy to pull the ignition cylinder and related parts from them?
thanks
John

Can't say enough (good smile.gif about @cabinetmaker . He's your man!
jfs911
Thank you everyone for your input,greatly appreciated.
I will check here locally.
Shipping to the States is expensive.

thx
John
Valy
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ May 27 2024, 07:12 AM) *

What Bruce said! If you can't get it done locally, I charge 30 for that. Be very careful when reinstalling the lock. The release tang on the back of the lock must be in the 6 o'clock position or the trunk will not open!

Did you mean to say 12 o'clock?
Ask me how I know!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it, call your vintage porsche dealer and they will look up the key code and cut a new one they have records back to 1972. Next is to remove the RIGHT door latch and have a locksmith cut one

QUOTE(jfs911 @ May 26 2024, 07:28 PM) *

Need your help please,
thanks
John

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Valy @ May 29 2024, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ May 27 2024, 07:12 AM) *

What Bruce said! If you can't get it done locally, I charge 30 for that. Be very careful when reinstalling the lock. The release tang on the back of the lock must be in the 6 o'clock position or the trunk will not open!

Did you mean to say 12 o'clock?
Ask me how I know!

Yes I did. Thanks
cgnj
I wouldn't go to the dealer. Who knows if any of the lock cylinders have been changed or rekeyed.

You have two parts cars? Do you have keys for them? If so, just swap cylinders. I always rey key locks. Its easy.

There is a thread on the 928 forum of Rennlist that goes into detail. The method is similar.

Rennlist

Good Luck
914sgofast2
Being a Porsche owner, you must be methodical in your approach to solving this problem.

1) Before you lost your key(s), did you have just one key that would lock and unlock both the doors, the rear trunk, the frunk, and turn the ignition on/off? If so, then all your car's lock systems are the originals from 1972 and matching. As someone already has already suggested, then you can simply take out the passenger door lock and have a local locksmith make a new key for you, or send it The Cabinetmaker on this site and have him make you a new set of keys. The reason for using the passenger door lock for making a new key is that the passenger door lock is the most likely lock to have tumblers with the least amount of wear on them. Alternatively, and as Dr.914 suggested, you can go to your local Porsche stealership and ask if they can order you a new set of keys based on your car's VIN and pay the Porsche tax for the privilege of doing so.

2) If you didn't have one key that would unlock/lock both doors, both trunks, and work the ignition, then your car has had its locks changed at sometime in its lifetime and they no longer match. In light of that, you will have to re-key all the locks and the ignition switch so the car be returned to its normal/original state of having one key work in all the lock systems. Again, The Cabinetmaker can help you do that, but you are going to have to remove all the locks and the ignition switch to have it done.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jun 5 2024, 02:01 PM) *

Being a Porsche owner, you must be methodical in your approach to solving this problem.

1) Before you lost your key(s), did you have just one key that would lock and unlock both the doors, the rear trunk, the frunk, and turn the ignition on/off? If so, then all your car's lock systems are the originals from 1972 and matching. As someone already has already suggested, then you can simply take out the passenger door lock and have a local locksmith make a new key for you, or send it The Cabinetmaker on this site and have him make you a new set of keys. The reason for using the passenger door lock for making a new key is that the passenger door lock is the most likely lock to have tumblers with the least amount of wear on them. Alternatively, and as Dr.914 suggested, you can go to your local Porsche stealership and ask if they can order you a new set of keys based on your car's VIN and pay the Porsche tax for the privilege of doing so.

2) If you didn't have one key that would unlock/lock both doors, both trunks, and work the ignition, then your car has had its locks changed at sometime in its lifetime and they no longer match. In light of that, you will have to re-key all the locks and the ignition switch so the car be returned to its normal/original state of having one key work in all the lock systems. Again, The Cabinetmaker can help you do that, but you are going to have to remove all the locks and the ignition switch to have it done.

Thanks for the plug! I'll add only this. The least used lock on the car is the glove box. It's also the hardest to remove! Front trunk cylinder is the 2nd least used is also the easiest to pull. Just pull the handle out, and remove the tiny screw from the bottom of the handle. Insert something in the key slot to retain the wafers and the cylinder will slide out.
r_towle
Lost key on 2005 Cayenne

New key costs 450 bucks
100 flatbed
200 to sync key to car at dealership

No aftermarket choice for VW/Audi/Porsche

Hopefully I can drive it by the weekend

Krieger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 5 2024, 08:06 PM) *

Lost key on 2005 Cayenne

New key costs 450 bucks
100 flatbed

new_shocked.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 5 2024, 11:23 PM) *

Lost key on 2005 Cayenne

New key costs 450 bucks
100 flatbed

new_shocked.gif

WTF.gif agree.gif wacko.gif Worse part is you will find the key an hour after you get the car back!
r_towle
All done and back.
They washed it too.
mlindner
I'd go to the Cabinetmaker. Just the best. I know this does not apply but he made me extra keys just from a close-up picture. Work great. Mark
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 6 2024, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 5 2024, 11:23 PM) *

Lost key on 2005 Cayenne

New key costs 450 bucks
100 flatbed

new_shocked.gif

WTF.gif agree.gif wacko.gif Worse part is you will find the key an hour after you get the car back!

All done it was nearly 1k...
BUT...as I told my wife who was giving me a hard time...
Still cheaper than her car payment (which I make).....
its what I call the annual cashectomy for my old paid off cars...they make shit up when they need cash.

I will be happy when I find that key some day....but I doubt it will happen.

technicalninja
$450 for a Smart key is normal!
The other charges are normal.

Wait till you do that same thing with an Infinity or a Volvo.

1K for the key is common...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.