Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a Special Feeler gauge needed ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I will be adjusting the valves in the 2.7 I have this weekend and then installing the engine for good (knocking on wood!) after that. Before I go searching though dozens of old archives (I've already spent some time on that) just to answer what is probably a simple answer...will I need a special feeler gauge or will any of the ones from FLAPS do? I have two sets from the last time I adjusted valves on the M3.

Doug C
Sammy
I really, really doubt you wil lbe able to get them adjusted right with a standard feeler guage.

There are three options, one is the standard 911 feeler guage available at pelican and other P-car type places, make sure you also buy some spare blades and lock-tite the itty bitty screws so they don't go places they shouldn't.
Second option is the island tool. It is a re-designed version of the original and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Do a search on the pelican 911 board for Island tool.
Either way it is kind of a PITA. Set the clearance slightly tighter than you would normally think, if the blade slides easily it is too lose. If it doesn't slide, it's too tight. it must slide with resistance.
Third option, use a dial indicator. This is my favorite way to do it when the engine is out.
TimT
I just bend the feeler gauge to work. I also have the Porsche tool with the little stub blade, but have sacrificed perfectly good feeler gauges when I cant find the P tool
ArtechnikA
you want the one that looks like a question mark "?"...
all the usual suspects have them.

it's a *lot* easier with the exhaust off ...
Tobra
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 01:55 PM)

that is exactly the sort of information I came here for
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Tobra @ Aug 23 2005, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 01:55 PM)

that is exactly the sort of information I came here for

it's not too bad with headers, but with HE's, it's something os a PITA.
when i had a shop do it, they always took the HE's off first.
Kerrys914
I just bought one last week, one of the "?" gauges. I readjusted my valves before I put the SIX engine in.

The first go around was with a 90deg electrical pliers and a 1/4" piece of a flat gauge. It worked but the "?" gauge is 100x easier to use. I got 6 extra blades when I bought it. They do get a little tweeked when taking them in and out. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif soon to be driving.gif
DougC
I have the feeler gauge with the prebent ends, like you get at FLAPS or Sears, etc. that should be fine then I guess from looking at the picture above it really doesn't seem like much of a difference. Think I'll try it first..

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.