Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Flat bed experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
Well I had the teener towed for the first time. I know it probably won't be the last but the feeling of being powerless really sucks.

Just driving down the road and shift into 4th and the driver's side outer CV let's loose and me and the fiance are stranded.

So what are the options for CV joint/axle replacement.

I want to make it to the ECC since it'sonly 2 hours from the house but the Fiance is worried about another breakdown.

SHould I swap out the whole Axle? What's the chance that I killed the axle or hub when the joint let loose? I do not know how old the axles are maybe original?

I'm in Asia right now on Business so I'm paralized until saturday when I return so I want to do as much as I can from here aka research/ parts ordering.

Any help would be appreciated!
Joe Bob
Well you can get a pro to take them apart and inspect, repair and repack them....best to do both sides...inner and outer. New stuff is NLA. Remember one side is a drive side while the other is just along for the ride unless you have an LSD.

You can swap sides for even wear.... cool_shades.gif

It's a particularly nasty job to do the repack. icon8.gif
Porsche Rescue
New CV joints are no longer available. You need to find a used axle or at least a used joint. You can install as is and hope, or you can disassemble, clean, inspect, repack and assemble. A messy, tricky job. Have a roll of paper towels on hand along with a bucket of solvent to clean the parts. There is a "right" and "wrong" way to assemble the joint and it can be tricky, but with patience and the Haynes book you can do it. Just did 4 joints yesterday. Hate it!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Aug 23 2005, 03:57 PM)
Just did 4 joints yesterday.

been a while since i did 4 joints in a day smoke.gif
Jaiden
So do you think I damaged the stub or axle?
I have rebuilt a ton of CV's before and yes it stinks! Literally!! But getting good used parts I guess will be the main issue.

Thanks for the heads up I will be searching the Classifieds and talk to some local driveshaft shops looking for good cores.

I just hope I didn't kill the stub.
markb
In the last 2 days we've torn down a bunch. We're cleaning up the good ones to take to GAF. If somebody needs one or more, let Cap'n Krusty know.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Aug 23 2005, 07:58 PM)
So do you think I damaged the stub or axle?

I just hope I didn't kill the stub.

it's the inner you have to worry about, and they have a hard life in these cars (right over the exhaust... when an inner breaks it can flail around and break the transmission and anything else within reach (which is a lot of expensive unpleasant stuff...

probably it's just a broken cage...

John Larson (Cap'n Krusty) was talking about possibly having a stash of good used CV's. IIRC there are also "remanufactured" halfshafts available.

i just did the inner CV on the Subie this weekend (tripods...) and packed everything with Swepco moly grease.

there have been several CV threads lately - a search will turn up a few resources.

new Schnorr washers are important - new bolts too if you can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.