Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrobertson
In a previous post I showed some of the undercoating that I removed from my 71 original six. The patch that was removed and shown in that post was in an area that the undercoating was applied fairly evenly. I wanted to show other areas that it was very poorly applied but did not know how to add pictures to that post, so I am putting them in this one. Anyone seen undercoating applied this poorly on a 914?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bkrantz
After the company Oktoberfest?
SirAndy
That does not look like factory undercoating to me. Maybe the dealer sprayed that on?
confused24.gif
technicalninja
My 75 never had it...

The wheel well paint is almost perfect. Even has remnants of the brown cosmoline like substance/wax that Porsche did use.

I'm of the opinion that any undercoating in the wheel wells was applied by the dealer versus the factory.

It does have a very light body Schultz on the lowest surfaces/pan.
That stuff looks like it is under the paint.
rick 918-S
My 6 has roughly applied rubberized under body Schultz over the factory primer then it was painted. Juergen's 6 was the same.
914Sixer
I have seen pictures of 911's being undercoated with a gallon bucket and a wide brush. Since -6 were assembled there I am guessing they used the same procedure. Slopping it on was normal.
burton73
Here is a shot of my 6 down production line Dec 1969 so yea, an early real 6
The undercoat from factory was tan on my car and very thick all over

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment
burton73
Hold on, one more showing my right rocker on a non rusty South California car

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Schutz was an option on the 4s. See this thread for the option code and an example showing it was original: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...51248&st=20 On my car it was applied quite evenly with a Schutz gun over bare metal and then painted. A local 914 guru has owned many Canadian delivered 914s and I recall him saying that all of them had a factory undercoating.
brant
I’ve only seen black under coating or more commonly painted body color undercoating

Never grey
But supposed a dealer could have shot grey
Or a body shop

Don’t think the manufacturer ever used grey
burton73
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 9 2024, 03:36 PM) *

I’ve only seen black under coating or more commonly painted body color undercoating

Never grey
But supposed a dealer could have shot grey
Or a body shop

Don’t think the manufacturer ever used grey

My car was for sure tan in color. I sanded right into the stuff. Somewhat rubberised

Best Bob B
jrrobertson
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 9 2024, 04:54 PM) *

Here is a shot of my 6 down production line Dec 1969 so yea, an early real 6
The undercoat from factory was tan on my car and very thick all over

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment

Thank you for the picture. That is exactly what my six undercoating looks like. I scraped a section of it down to bare metal. What I found was this thick tan undercoating than primer than bare metal. Definitely original six undercoating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.