Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Valve Cover -HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Morning All!

I can't seem to win against the leaking valve cover. Read the articles. Took it off yesterday. Cleaned the channel thoroughly. Laid a ton of the zinc stuff folks have mentioned out here -both sides. Let it sit for most of the day. Seemed ok for the first few then started again. Not a lot. Just enough to make the header smoke -and piss me off.

1.7 with new heads. Wondering if it's pressure? Bent cover? Maybe it's not the rocker cover and it's the push rod tube?

I see some weld pieces into the cover. Just a daily driver.

Thanks in advance!
Garland
Give these a try, working for me. There a bit thicker. Installed clean, and dry, no sealers.
914Rubber.com

Click to view attachment
Boothy
Will do! Thank you!
930cabman
I have always (50 years or so) installed VW type valve covers by setting the new gasket in sealant and applying another layer on the surface that contacts the head. Never had a leak and the cleanup when removing in the future isn't bad.

A small price for no leaks
FlacaProductions
If you've read all the threads, you may have already come across Gask-A-Cinch. The VW logo goes UPSIDE DOWN when the cover is installed correctly. i use Gask-a-cinch between
the gasket and valve cover. dry between the gasket and head.

Some use Gask-a-cinch on the cover side and some grease (like swepco 101) on the head side.
This keeps the gasket in place and after the bale is snapped in place you can slide the cover around a little and make sure it is seated well.

I have tried the thicker gaskets but they were too thick for me. Couldn't get the bale back in place. You may want to make sure your bale is exerting enough force - maybe a little massaging of it will clamp things down a bit harder.
windforfun
Make sure it isn't bent in the slightest bit. BTDT.
Boothy
Thanks all!

I will try those suggestions. I'll also look closer at the condition of the cover. It could be bent. May just get another to be sure.

Right, the VW is upside down. I never would have guessed that had I not watched Ian's video on Bumblebee.
fixer34
As you noted in the original post, are you SURE it is the valve cover/gasket and NOT one of the pushrod tubes?

If I recall, you should be able to slide a small piece of thin cardboard between the bottom of the valve cover and the heat exchanger. Let it sit there while you go for a drive (paper needs to get to 450 degrees to catch fire, so that should not be an issue).
Pull it out and look for an oil stain. It will either tell you the cover isn't the problem, or approximately where it is.
Boothy
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 10 2024, 02:16 PM) *

As you noted in the original post, are you SURE it is the valve cover/gasket and NOT one of the pushrod tubes?

If I recall, you should be able to slide a small piece of thin cardboard between the bottom of the valve cover and the heat exchanger. Let it sit there while you go for a drive (paper needs to get to 450 degrees to catch fire, so that should not be an issue).
Pull it out and look for an oil stain. It will either tell you the cover isn't the problem, or approximately where it is.

Good point! Thanks. I am wondering if it is a push rod tube. I'll try the paper trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.