Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Need 50mm cooling ducting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
We are having an issue finding 50mm ducting (hose) to go from the "mouse ears" to the heater flapper. What we have is the rather inexpensive cardboard tubing available pretty readily. I am looking for something that is almost a plastic coated duct hose that would withstand dirt and possible....getting wet, and be able to keep clean. We have some in 60mm that is the finish we want, it's just too big.

We have searched high and low and came up scratch. I did find some 50mm plastic hose in the UK, but it only comes in 300mm/30cm (11.81 inches) lengths. I really need something that is 30 inches, 76.2cm or 762mm.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks all,
Michael beerchug.gif
56kabrio
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 10 2024, 02:05 PM) *

We are having an issue finding 50mm ducting (hose) to go from the "mouse ears" to the heater flapper. What we have is the rather inexpensive cardboard tubing available pretty readily. I am looking for something that is almost a plastic coated duct hose that would withstand dirt and possible....getting wet, and be able to keep clean. We have some in 60mm that is the finish we want, it's just too big.

We have searched high and low and came up scratch. I did find some 50mm plastic hose in the UK, but it only comes in 300mm/30cm (11.81 inches) lengths. I really need something that is 30 inches, 76.2cm or 762mm.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks all,
Michael beerchug.gif

Michael

Found this ad in the UK. Sold in 23 meter roll.

https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/pvc-corru...m-23-metre.html

Hope this helps.

Mack
burton73
@Cairo94507
50 MM is 1.9685 inch very close to 2 inch. Aeroduct Ducting
www.wicksaircraft.com

Take a look. You are very close to getting this.

Best Bob B
Cairo94507
Hi Bob & Mack,

It looks like Bob's referral is available in the length I need for a not ridiculous price. I just need to verify with Greg that that will work. But, it does look like what we need.
Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
technicalninja
Mack's hose is rated to 55c or 131F. Not high enough IMO for the application.
Running would work fine due to the cooling air but shutdown "heat soak" might hurt it.

Bob's suggestion is a mere 1/32 of an inch too BIG. I didn't check heat rating on it (you should) but if a "tiny bit too big" won't work I'd be surprised.
JeffBowlsby
Seems to me there was a NAPA hose that was nearly identical to stock. I don't recall more than that.
930cabman
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 10 2024, 01:16 PM) *

Seems to me there was a NAPA hose that was nearly identical to stock. I don't recall more than that.

I used the NAPA hose recently and it worked perfect. I will look around later and see if I can find anything. A search for this took me quite a while, and I might have saved the tag, somewhere. It took the guys at NAPA awhile to find it in their system, might be called "defroster hose"
RAX914
Aircraftspruce.com:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appa...?clickkey=77121

They also have it in black
slowrodent
Bunch on eBay right now as 2” defroster hose. Just saying
Montreal914
Isn’t that aero ducting too stiff? Seems like every time I see it used it bends only on one spot instead of making a nice natural bend along the whole way. confused24.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks to all who helped move this ball down the field. I now have several options and the next time Greg and I meet, maybe tomorrow, we can discuss them and see which way we go. For now though, we can use the 50mm cardboard stuff as it will be easy to swap once the motor is in the car. beerchug.gif
technicalninja
I've never seen the cardboard stuff fail due to heat.

It can get old and delaminate, but heat doesn't seem to mess with it.
mb911
Wag aero group sells it. I bought some off Amazon it’s labeled sceet or scat tubing.
Luke M
https://www.amazon.com/AC-PERFORMANCE-Autom...sr=8-1&th=1

Check this out..
technicalninja
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Yes, check that OUT!

I know what I'd use.

572F working temp!

Water resistant! (I was going to mention the cardboard stuff probably shouldn't get wet)

Got a "German" look to it...

But the absolute most "KILLER" thing about is the inner sheath...

This is a BIG problem with brake ducting hoses. The ones with the corrugated inners decrease flow BIGTIME! A 2" hose is the equivalent of a 1.5" with the ribbed inner surface.
That has a nice sleeve!

I know what I'll use from now on for brakes duct hosing!

Reasonably priced as well.

@Luke M (ok how can I tag "Luke M")
You kick ass Sir!
Thanks for that link
NARP74
@Luke M quotes around the user name with spaces etc.
Luke M
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jun 11 2024, 08:23 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Yes, check that OUT!

I know what I'd use.

572F working temp!

Water resistant! (I was going to mention the cardboard stuff probably shouldn't get wet)

Got a "German" look to it...

But the absolute most "KILLER" thing about is the inner sheath...

This is a BIG problem with brake ducting hoses. The ones with the corrugated inners decrease flow BIGTIME! A 2" hose is the equivalent of a 1.5" with the ribbed inner surface.
That has a nice sleeve!

I know what I'll use from now on for brakes duct hosing!

Reasonably priced as well.

@Luke M (ok how can I tag "Luke M")
You kick ass Sir!
Thanks for that link

Glad to help out. I'm laid up for a bit til I get an MRI done and see the Dr. so shopping online is what I'm doing.. dry.gif type.gif
Cairo94507
@Luke M - Thanks for that link. I think that may be the winner. I will talk with Greg tomorrow when we get together and if that passes his review, that is what I will order. Thanks a lot for the help everyone. It takes a freakin' village for sure. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.