Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barely a dribble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Tracking down a low fuel flow issue, it looks like it starts with the flow directly from the tank. Sure, it's a small steel line, but the flow is very little. If the pump is not receiving enough, how can it push anything back to the engine. Drawing a blank

carbs, pump in front
Superhawk996
Clogged filter sock in tank most likely based on what you’ve posted.

The other possibility is kinked fuel line coming out of the tank.

Least likely but not impossible is that the tank isn’t venting. Pop the fuel cap - if flow improves it’s venting.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 10 2024, 01:52 PM) *

Looking through the filler inlet I can see the sock looks reasonable. Will pull the tank later to look for a kink.

The number of options for this is very low
fixer34
Are you checking at the metal pipe coming out of the tank, or a rubber line attached to it? If rubber line, it may be swollen.
If the metal pipe, carefully push a a piece of copper (soft) wire into the hose and tank. It should go in a good 3-4 inches. Just be ready if it clears out something, you will get all the fuel flow you ever wanted...

If that doesn't do it, then probably time to pull the tank. If I recall, getting that pipe off while in the car is not easy. Maybe drain the tank using a siphon pump.
Jack Standz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 11 2024, 02:56 AM) *

Looking through the filler inlet I can see the sock looks reasonable. Will pull the tank later to look for a kink.

You can see the fuel lines from under the car (and if you have a door covering the front fuel pump area, you can check the lines there too) without removing the tank. Good luck with the fix!
930cabman
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jun 10 2024, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 11 2024, 02:56 AM) *

You can see the fuel lines from under the car (and if you have a door covering the front fuel pump area, you can check the lines there too) without removing the tank. Good luck with the fix!

I am not running a return line, so one of the lines on the bottom of the tank is plugged up. I had my feed line on the wrong one, switched them and now the sock is doing it's job and the flow is much better
fixer34
It's usually the simple things...
Jamie
That sock is a useless item, much better to install an external filter right out of the tank before the pump which can then be visually checked and easily replaced. WTF.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 10 2024, 07:50 PM) *

That sock is a useless item, much better to install an external filter right out of the tank before the pump which can then be visually checked and easily replaced. WTF.gif

Yes, I always install a filter as soon as the fuel exits the tank and another in the engine bay before the carbs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.