Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't overlook the little things
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Artfrombama
Bought my non running 74 1.8 last December, very solid car with minimal rust. After quite an ordeal procuring the elusive dual relay I had a running car!
Running but oil leaking and slipping clutch.
Pulled the motor and trans, discovered the oil leaks were from dried up pushrod O-rings and a ruptured oil pressure sender.
Bought a Sachs clutch kit and gasket set from FCP Euro. The while-im-at-it's kicked in so the heads went to the machine shop for guides and valve grind, new Hastings rings and other parts from 914 Rubber, Pelican etc. standard top end overhaul.
After replacing the motor and buttoning everything together, crank but no start..... Bummed! Seemed to have spark, good fuel pressure but no start, maybe a cough occasionally... WTH??? It was running before!
Remembered years ago a similar problem with another car, replaced the ignition condensor and solved the problem.
Bad condensor, problem solved. 1.8 runs great!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=913
690]
Van B
Nice work keeping the ole girl running strong. I put the pertronix in mine and it worked out pretty nice.
930cabman
Another victory cheer.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(Artfrombama @ Jun 11 2024, 07:29 PM) *

Remembered years ago a similar problem with another car, replaced the ignition condensor and solved the problem.
Bad condensor, problem solved. 1.8 runs great!

smilie_pokal.gif
Shivers
50 years ago I learned this lesson in a 65 Pontiac tempest. Not easy to find so good job.
914-300Hemi
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
fiacra
Way to go! Especially on finding that dual relay. Now time to go to a 123 distributor and get rid of the points and condenser forever.
Artfrombama
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 12 2024, 06:27 PM) *

Way to go! Especially on finding that dual relay. Now time to go to a 123 distributor and get rid of the points and condenser forever.

I’m old, I can troubleshoot points and condenser. Electronic ignition, not so much. I’m sure it’s a great upgrade.

BTW, thanks @fiacra pray.gif for the research on the replacement dual relays, even though I had already found one, will keep a few l-jet cars on the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.