Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid lettering push Pin mess
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Good afternoon,

Ok. I spaced out my lettering for the engine lid and opened the emblem secure pins package from 914 Rubber and it has melted tar around them. Am I to assume that it is meant to be left on as it is a melted mess. All the other pics I have seen online do not show the tar.

Advice appreciated,

Brett

Click to view attachment
iankarr
Def not ideal that they're melted, but they should still work fine. The metal part is what grips onto the stalk. The melty part is a buffer between the metal ring and the screen of the trunk lid to keep the letters from rattlling. Just try to re-round the melted parts before smushing them down.
Gearup
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 14 2024, 03:21 PM) *

Def not ideal that they're melted, but they should still work fine. The metal part is what grips onto the stalk. The melty part is a buffer between the metal ring and the screen of the trunk lid to keep the letters from rattlling. Just try to re-round the melted parts before smushing them down.

Thank You
Gearup
There must be a better way! Rubber? This is going to collect dirt and dust like crazy and turn brown.
JeffBowlsby
Those pushnuts are not the right kind for the pins through the engine grille mesh. The rubbery material is a gasket and is correct for pins through the chassis such as the tail panel, to keep water out of the trunk. The factory pushnuts for the grille mesh had the metal clip cast into a semi rigid plastic, see if you can find that type.
bandjoey
and use a socket to push them on straight.....I used push on nuts from Lowes and a dab of black silicon and 3 years later they're still tight. almost a perfect fit.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 14 2024, 08:16 PM) *

Those pushnuts are not the right kind for the pins through the engine grille mesh. The rubbery material is a gasket and is correct for pins through the chassis such as the tail panel, to keep water out of the trunk. The factory pushnuts for the grille mesh had the metal clip cast into a semi rigid plastic, see if you can find that type.

agree.gif

What you are showing is a flipping disaster. That is going to look like stromberg.gif on the engine grille.

I’d use plain push / speed nuts and would paint them flat black before I used a gooey butyl under the mesh.

From what I can see - the original style are rare as hens teeth. I did find a nice set of 911 emblems with the original style retainers - $600+ yikes.gif

From what I can see it appears Porsche has switched to a speed nut (hex shaped crown) with a real rubber back instead of butyl.

Sympathetic that it’s not easy to find the right ones. Appears even Porsche has gone to the cheaper metal speed nut vs. what was original. sad.gif

Found these on VW / Ghia - they look closer to OEM but I can’t vouch for them vs emblem pin diameter.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Also found these. Not cheap but closer to original than the stamped metal speed nuts and rubber backing.

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Got mine from George at AutoAtlanta and they fit and worked well.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 15 2024, 04:16 AM) *

Got mine from George at AutoAtlanta and they fit and worked well.

thank you. Use G99950722040 those are the originals and correct for any 914, have at least 100 on the shelf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.