Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter won't turn after clutch rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Dudes:

I finally finished replacing the clutch (took waaay longer than it should've) tonight and tried to fire it up after months of down-time... turn key, hear fuel pump run, see red lights on dash come on, but the starter doesn't turn or make any noise at all. Did I forget something on reassembly or is this purely a coincidence? I did check the ground strap from the tranny and the battery is fully charged (all night with trickle charger). All lights work as well.

Speaking of the starter (I know I asked this before), do both heavy wires go to the post on the starter and does the slide on connector go to either spade? (there are 2). Is it possible to connect the starter incorrectly?

Also, I have a remote starter switch. Does it matter which connections you connect to on the starter? One on the post and the other on the flat spade? I connected the remote switch and tried it, but still nothing from the starter. What gives? Any ideas?

Man, I was sooooo excited to get home today for some "quality 914 time", since I thought I'd be able to see if my clutch replacement was successful and I can't even get the damn thing started!!

Any help (or encouragement) is greatly appreciated. pray.gif headbang.gif

Thanks!
Andy...
SLITS
On the remote starter, you must connect to the large terminal that the + battery cable runs to and the spade terminal.

Electrons do not flow to the starter motor until the solenoid is engaged.

You can test the starter motor by crossing the two big terminals with a screwdriver.....the motor should spin but will not engage the bendix drive.

Running from the + cable to the spade terminal should engage the solenoid which will engage the Bendix and spin the motor. If nuthin happens, the solenoid / starter has taken a crap or you don't have power from the battery or a good ground on the starter.
SGB
Both heavy red wires go on the post ON THE SOLENOID. One is coming from + battery, one is coming from the alternator
You can slide the push on connector to either tab on the solenoid. They are connected internally, and double like that just to provide access when that solenoid is used on other starters.
ChrisFoley
Do you have a voltmeter?
If so, you should see the voltage drop when you turn the key to start.
914zim
Thanks for the help fellas.
I'll give it another look tonight (hopefully).

Andy
736conver
Andy,

If you need a known working starter I have one here you can have. Just shoot me an email or something
914zim
Guys:

I hope you're all still willing to help me figure this out. I only have a month or two of driving left here in WI and I'd sure like to get some driving in before the snow flies!

I got some 914 time tonight, so I have an update:

1. Battery: took it out of the car and cleaned the terminals up. Also emery'ed the cable ends and cleaned up the chassis connection at the battery. The tranny ground strap was cleaned in WD-40 and secureley fastened during the clutch reassembly. After being charged on the trickle charger, it reads 12.5 volts exactly (while out of the car). It is a cheap-o Wal-mart battery, but it is only 2 years old.

2. Starter: have power at the yellow wire when ignition switch is on and at the post of the starter. I also shorted a screwdriver across the terminals and did hear the solenoid spin. I also banged on the starter case with a hammer. I now have the starter out of the car and connected the battery to it and got the drive gear to pop out, but it did not spin. Is it supposed spin? Is the starter grounded when it's bolter to the car?

3. Ignition switch: Since I get power at the starter (yellow wire) when I turn on the key, does that mean the switch is OK? I also get all idiot lights to come on and I hear the fuel pump running. I also connected a remote switch and it still does not start.

I'm thinking it must be the starter, but I need a few more details on how to test it properly. If I need a new starter, I'm willing to drop the cash, but I would like to make sure that will fix the problem. Or is it the battery?

Anyone got any other ideas on what to try?

Thanks for any help,
Andy...
914zim
icon_bump.gif
ChrisFoley
With the starter out of the car you should indeed see the gear spin when 12 volts is applied.

Recently when I was installing my new race engine I used a starter that was stored in my tow rig for a spare. It cranked the engine fine while I was building oil pressure but when I turned the fuel pump back on and got a little resistance in the cylinders the starter stopped working. I swapped it out and the car started right away.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (914zim @ Aug 24 2005, 08:44 PM)
I also shorted a screwdriver across the terminals and did hear the solenoid spin.

I hope the solenoid wasn't spinning, since it is only supposed to move in and out. laugh.gif
SLITS
1.) Across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver....starter motor will spin only...bendix will not engage the flywheel and turn the engine.

2.) From the top large terminal (where the battery cable connects) to the spade terminal with a screwdriver, this will engage the solenoid and the stater motor...this should turn the engine.

If #1 is ok, and #2 doesn't work....the solenoid is bad. Replace it or get another starter.
Oled
Check that you replaced the ground cable between the transmission and the body under the trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.