Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT style gauge from Saab gauge - need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndrewBlyholder
I'm trying to make myself a GT style fuel gauge. Followed the instructions in the thread "Making 914-6 GT Style Fuel Gauge Don't Spend Big $$$$, All It Takes Is A 914 Fuel Gauge & Saab 95 96 gauge", but it didn't work out for me.

The Saab gauge and GT gauge go clockwise from empty to full. However these instructions say to ditch the Saab gauge workings and put in the internals from a 914 gauge. The 914 gauge goes the opposite way, counterclockwise from empty to full. So it doesn't work. Tired swapping the polarity on the gauge, switching the +12V and GRND connections, but that doesn't work either. Several people asked this very question in the original thread but it was never answered.

Anyone got the solution for this?

Thanks,
Andrew Blyholder
windforfun
Buy a VDO fuel gauge. I'm assuming that this is an independent gauge that's separate from the main instrument cluster behind the wheel. Yes?
914Sixer
There was a error on my part in making that up. You need 911 Fuel Gauge NOT 914 gauge. Adding correct pictures and partially done gauge.
AndrewBlyholder
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 16 2024, 05:43 PM) *

There was a error on my part in making that up. You need 911 Fuel Gauge NOT 914 gauge. Adding correct pictures and partially done gauge.

Ah ha! I noticed that the connections on the back of your "914" gauge were different from mine but I didn't dwell on it and just assumed that it was a late/early type of thing.

Excellent, now I know how to go forward.

Thanks!!
Andrew
AndrewBlyholder
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 16 2024, 05:30 PM) *

Buy a VDO fuel gauge. I'm assuming that this is an independent gauge that's separate from the main instrument cluster behind the wheel. Yes?

Yes, I melted down the motor at the track by not taking the no-numbers stock gauge seriously so after rebuilding the motor, I converted to the 911 combo oil temp. & oil pressure gauge on the left side of the dash cluster. I have a '74 with a center console so need a fuel gauge to fit down there.

The aftermarket gauges are all smaller diameter, so going the Saab gauge route to get the correct 60mm diameter.

Andrew
Justinp71
There was a 60mm converted gauge for sale on here recently. Be advised I believe some of the aftermarket 914 gt fuel gauge mounts use the smaller diameter gauge, I believe Sierra Madre sells one, fairly easy to make though. VDO does make the smaller fuel gauge that out of the box works with a 914 sender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.