Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Father's Day Mid-engine Happy Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Nothing as fun for fathers, on any day, than to spend happy time with kids. I got to FaceTime with my daughter and grand daughter in another state while staying with my son for the weekend. He has the car thing, and last year started a mid-engine race car build project. No, not a 914 (he did help often with my build). Instead he found a 1986 MR2. And for more fun (and revs and power) he will set it up with a Honda K motor.
bkrantz
He bought this as a roller, but otherwise mostly complete. The body is almost rust-free--just like a 914! And it once had a collision front left, with a crappy repair (I know about that).

Anyway, yesterday and today we got the Honda motor and transaxle bolted in, using an adapter mount kit. That worked with just a few minor hiccups. Like the 914, the engine inserts from below.
bkrantz
Almost like it was designed to fit!
bkrantz
I had my own project, restoring some very bent sheet metal to a reasonable shape. This photo does not show the ugly details, but the forward part of the inner fender liner panel was crumpled, with a couple of tight folds of metal, and overall shortening of about 2 inches.
bkrantz
I worked it for a few hours, and at least restored the basic shape. Ugly but at least ready to weld in the attaching panels.

I hope you enjoyed (or tolerated) seeing another brand, and listening. And happy Father's Day to all dads.
Blue6
A Father’s Day spent working on a project with your son, is a great day in my opinion. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jun 16 2024, 07:02 PM) *

A Father’s Day spent working on a project with your son, is a great day in my opinion. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the story. Such fun!
technicalninja
My family has had 4 MR2s

2 first gens like yours. We called them "Traffic Weasels"

And 2 second gens. "Sharks"

We still have a 91 turbo that is in surgery for a forged motor and 350+ Hp with a 3071.

The "Weasels" are more fun to drive. Like a big adult go-cart.

Only problem with the weasels was lack of torque; You have to rev the piss out of them to have fun.

A K series will make that a BLAST!

The early seats are awesome, look kind of weird but fit me just fine.
I've kept a nice set of those to go into something else.
bkrantz
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jun 17 2024, 06:38 AM) *

My family has had 4 MR2s

2 first gens like yours. We called them "Traffic Weasels"

And 2 second gens. "Sharks"

We still have a 91 turbo that is in surgery for a forged motor and 350+ Hp with a 3071.

The "Weasels" are more fun to drive. Like a big adult go-cart.

Only problem with the weasels was lack of torque; You have to rev the piss out of them to have fun.

A K series will make that a BLAST!

The early seats are awesome, look kind of weird but fit me just fine.
I've kept a nice set of those to go into something else.

Thanks for the history. My son is on a path towards a pure track car with options to race in whatever accommodating clubs and classes come along. So the car will stay mostly stripped, and with a shell-style racing seat and full cage.

BTW back in the mid-80s I was really getting into autocrossing, and in my area, the MR2 was the car to beat in small bore classes. My X1/9 had even less power!
wonkipop
the mister twos are great little cars. beerchug.gif
heaps of them in australia.
still see plenty of the mk2 (mini me ferrari) later ones on the road on weekends.

the last of the line (mini me boxster) are a much rarer beast.
didn't sell in big numbers down here - dudded in the showrooms.
i kinda like em. along with the first ones. mk1 is a very light car.

you will be enjoying that one.
should go like sh$t off a shovel with the honda donk. beerchug.gif

JmuRiz
Great project…having had a 4AGE (in a Prizm GSi hatchback w00t.gif ) it hurts to see the swap…but I understand smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.