Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dsw 914
On a '75, how do I remove the rubber from the metal bumpers so I can lighten the overall bumper by removing excess metal?
tod914
Is it really worth the effort? Why not just put on a pair of the fiberglass GT bumpers? To answer your question, unbolt the bumper, they are attached from the bottom. On the front bumper on the top middle portion, there are 2 plastic rivets that attach the rubber portion of the bumper to the metal support beam. Once the bumper is off, if you gently pull up on the top of the rubber, youll see them from the inside. If you pull too hard, you will rip the attachment point on the rubber.
Mueller
you have to remove the bumpers 1st, there should be some access holes from the bottom side, remove the bolts (be careful, the bumper is heavy )

it's faily large bolt, 15mm or 17mm head I believe........

the rubber is screwed to the metal, new brackets will be needed...if you have access to a plasma cutter, you could remove a lot of the material and still have some left over to attach the bumpers back on
BMartin914
A plasma cutter would work wonders for removing material. I wish I had or knew someone that had one. I've been trying to cut on mine for a week.
Mueller
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Aug 24 2005, 07:26 AM)
A plasma cutter would work wonders for removing material. I wish I had or knew someone that had one. I've been trying to cut on mine for a week.

muffler shop or race car fab in your area??

since you won't see it, an oxy-acet. torch would work as well to remove material.....
fatlando
I just did this last night. it's only 2 bolts. when I removed it, i was quite surprised that the P.O. had used soda pop tabs to act as washers holding my rear valence.

also, my left "absorber" is pushed in....can i pull it out??

thanx
Mueller
QUOTE (fatlando @ Aug 24 2005, 07:46 AM)
I just did this last night. it's only 2 bolts. when I removed it, i was quite surprised that the P.O. had used soda pop tabs to act as washers holding my rear valence.

thanx

you "can" pull in out, however, they are a 1 time use only item....meaning it won't have the same resistance to impact anymore......
dsw 914
I have seen a number of these plastic-type 'attachments' holding the rubber to the metal, but do not know how to release them. Can they be cut, and then replaced with another bolt or attachment method?

dbledsoe
QUOTE (fatlando @ Aug 24 2005, 06:46 AM)

thanx

Fatlando,

I have good rubber bumpers and absorbers from my 75 if you need parts/absorbers. I recently pulled my bumpers and absorbers to replace them with glass bumpers as a part of my Buick V6 conversion.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.