Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rolling the Fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
I have heard that you can "roll the fenders" on the rear to allow wider tires. Anyone have a procedure or can you tell me the best way to do this? I have heard is it no more difficult than a baseball bat and rolling the car slowly back and forth, but I can't believe that is the right way... smash.gif
URY914
That is it. But go slow and watch for paint cracking. sad.gif

I'm sure someone has some pictures.

P
Joe Bob
Like cow tipping....a 12 pack of beer, three or four friends.....flat surface and rock it back and forth in neutral...gud luk....
wink.gif
Mueller
google it.....I know I've seen write up on the 'net before...might not have been a 914, but basic idea is there........
Quilmes
I just saw this in the Popular Hot Roding Mag. They sell the Fender Lip Roller at Tire Rack.
I have used in the past the Bat with good results, I just never know that someone actually offered an official fender roller.

They also mentioned in the article to use a razor and make a small cut somewhere on the fender lip. I do not know the reason why except that it might help with the paint chipping.

That’s my .02 worth.

Quilmes
URY914
Same as the Eastman fender roller...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...9&keyword=31158

John Kelly
I've posted this before, but here goes...that tool is an expensive gimmick. Careful use of a bat or something similar will do the same thing.

The effects of this technique are; a shortening of the wheel opening front to back, possible cracks in paint or filler, possible kinks in the panel away from the wheel opening. When done conservatively, you can get a little more room with little likelihood of problems, too much and you are asking for trouble. This is not stretching the panel to make it grow in surface area. It is rearranging the metal without changing the surface area. More room in one area means less in some other area.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 24 2005, 09:03 AM)
Like cow tipping....a 12 pack of beer, three or four friends.....flat surface and rock it back and forth in neutral...gud luk....
wink.gif

Cow......check
12 pack of beer......check
Friends...... ummmm, it would seem that I spent too much time under cars to learn any socailization skills lol2.gif

I am thinking that it would be wiser for me to just put tires of the the correct size 205/55 on the car rather than try and stuff the 225/50 meats in there that are mounted on the rear wheels now.call me screwy.gif but hey....
bondo
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Aug 24 2005, 11:18 AM)
I've posted this before, but here goes...that tool is an expensive gimmick.

And don't forget that our wheel arches are not round! smile.gif
Andyrew
Hammer (for the initial kill if its hard..)
Baseball bat (preferably metal)
pry bar (round)
And the tires your trying to make fit.

easy...

20 mins total if you know what your doing...

20 mins per side if you dont.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Aug 24 2005, 02:56 PM)
Hammer (for the initial kill if its hard..)
Baseball bat (preferably metal)
pry bar (round)
And the tires your trying to make fit.

easy...

20 mins total if you know what your doing...

20 mins per side if you dont.

I wimped out and ordered a set of these today 205/55/16
scottb
nice tires!

falkens? what model, where and how much cuz i am in need of some new tires.....

thanks.....
anthony
I gently rolled the front fenders lips on my 911. It only gets you an extra 3/8" or so of clearance and it shapes the inside lip in such a way that it doesn't cut the tire if there is contact. Still, I'm not sure just rolling the fender lips on a 914 would get you a comfortable fit with 225s.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (scottb @ Aug 24 2005, 03:32 PM)
nice tires!

falkens? what model, where and how much cuz i am in need of some new tires.....

thanks.....

I got them at Discount Tire Direct, $85 per, free shipping (I went for quicker shipping), they are Falken Azenis Sports. First time I have delt with them, I normally order from Tire Rack.
Trekkor
You will really ylike the Falken's. those are some of the stickiest rubber you can run on the street. Great price, too.

as to fender rolling. Did that.

Ball bat followed by 1 1/2 steel pipe. 20 minutes...if that.

I need a little more now that I run the 7" rims.

Very easy. even easier if your paint is yucky. unsure.gif

KT
Andyrew
225's Need stretching....

If anything you'd have to fit the tire up there and literally pull the fender out with a baseball bat and other items. (probably wont fit the BB bat. Steel pipe works good then)

Midtowner
Isn't there a factory cutout on the inner fender lip? I think my '73 has it or is this not enough? unsure.gif
Allan
I think you are still going to have to roll the fenders. I'm running 205/16's and without the fenders being rolled they rub...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.