Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: dialup ISP's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
need a dialup provider for Joy's mom, who lives in rural SW KY.
they've got no cable and they're miles from the phone company CO so DSL is right out. and they don't need 24-hr instant-on anyway. CHEAP IS A COMPELLING ADVANTAGE (fixed income).

so who's good? i do not want to set them up with AOL if we can avoid it...
NetZero? Juno? Earthlink?
tat2dphreak
I switched my mother-in-law to netscape... cheap and reliable... she's not in SW KY though... dunno if that helps.
bd1308
NetZero is the ISP for people you absolutely hate....
Juno is okay...I've used it a few times...

I recommend anything that comes from a bigger ISP and that uses standard PPP..in other words, a service that uses the built-in windows dial-up networking instead of a cute web interface....that typically uses alot of your 56k "pipeline to the cyber world"

Bellsouth has dial-up
Earthlink has good dial-up service....

what city does she live in?

if she already has satellite TV, the DirecDuo isnt that much more, and it's two-way now....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 24 2005, 10:55 AM)
what city does she live in?

if she already has satellite TV, the DirecDuo isnt that much more, and it's two-way now....

"city" ? hahahahahaha...

it appears on the map as "Fulgham" which is loosely defined as the intersection of 307 & 58.

last time i looked at 2-way satellite (when i lived in rural NV) the equipment buy-in was about $1000, plus professional installation required (they don't let just anyone transmit -to- a satellite) plus $50-ish/mo. it (almost) made sense for me but it's out of the question for them. the uplink data rate was low and the line turnaround latencies were pretty horrible. net throughput outperformed dialup but not as much you'd like and bang/buck was sub-great.
bd1308
dang....i didnt realize it still was $$$

sorry about that.

i havent kept up with it....sounded pretty bad back when it was one-way.

yeah i still recommend those dial-up choices....

as long as its either 270 or 502 in the area code, they won't be charged long-distances...

i've been around KY, but i've never been there before. i'll put it on my places to go though.

(just an excuse for a 914 road trip!)

the dayton 914 road trip was fun...
JerryP
Rich,

For 3 years I had a dial-up service as a backup called Joi (used to be Hawk). Never had any problems with it .....it was $6/month. Never had to use customer service so I can't vouch for it. HTH.
tat2dphreak
direct tv does have a sattelite ISP that's not that much $$$

it uses dialup for upload and satelite for the d/l... not that great really... for the $$
bd1308
big problem is it *STILL* ties up your phone line....

i think DirecTV switched to two-way satellite communication....i'll have to check.

my family is building a lake-house log-cabin thing, and i'm in charge of installing security and network stuff on the house....

and DirectDuo was an option....
anthony
I recently used Directv's sat broadband service. It works ok for surfing the web but the latency is horrible (800ms+). The system I was using was averaging 1200ms+. Ssh terminal sessions were practically unusable. Online gaming would be out of the question.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.