Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ceramic coating headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I'm prepping parts for my 3.0 conversion. I've got a nice set of 1 5/8 headers and I'm considering having them coated. Any recommendations? Is it worth it? Seems I've heard some opine that it's not a good idea on air cooled motors. Who's got the voice of experience?
Thanks
scotty914
i always heard it was good for keeping the heat out of the engine bay. i have also heard it keeps the exhaust more efficent due keeping the temps consistant in the pipes
TimT
Do it, Im a big fan of these type coatings

The header will last longer, they will look nice, keeps the heat in the pipe, etc.

I dont know who you plan on having do the coating, but Ive had good experiences with Jet Hot, and Swaintech
Mark Henry
There was some BS going around that ceramic coating cools off within 5min of shut down.....I have the header scar to disprove that shit.

ouch! sad.gif
Matt Monson
I had mine done by HPC. I am very happy with their work. And as has been mentioned the coating aids in the heat retention, which is a good thing for non-turbo'd cars. This is one reason that from a performance standpoint a mild steel header is better than stainless. They may not last as long, but their thermal properties are better to begin with...
Rusty
Jet-Hot rocks. I'll have any non-stainless exhaust stuff done there from now on.

aircooledboy
DAMN. wub.gif drooley.gif
I NEVER get tired of seeing those Rusty.
goose2
Lawrence....those are beautiful! Sounds like JetHot is the winner. Anyone remember the cost and turn-around time?
Joe Bob
Not cheap....I had them done on my 914/6.....lasted a long time. Looked gud when I sold the car....dunno know about it now.

The 911 headers were supposedly done by them as well....that application sucked, started peeling in two years....they would not even talk to me because I wasn't the original buyer.

Do a Google, they have a website.
Rusty
Call and talk to them - it was actually pretty reasonable. They'll give you an estimate on the phone. They won't mark up prices because it's for a fancy German Porsch. (intentionally mispelled)

http://www.jet-hot.com/
1-800-432-3379

Good people to deal with. I bought those when I was in Iraq... had them drop shipped to JetHot. I dunno about turn-around time, because it didn't matter to me.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Mark Henry
BTW trial fit everything before you send them off...don't want to be grinding or cutting after the fact unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.