Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Header options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
It seems that the shorty hugger headers I bartered for will not work correctly, the left side interferes with the shift rod. What other types of headers are you V8 'ers using, I know the RH are out there, but I have seen some with full length headers. Give me brand and type if you have it.

Thanks,
914GT
Hedman PN 69230 is one option for 914 V8 conversions.
Andyrew
It will not touch the shift rod if you get some guys that know what there doing for the exhaust.... Let me find a pic of mine.
Andyrew
user posted image

There ya go.

bout an inch.. to half an inch.

No problems so far.

I worry more about the belt hitting the shift rod.
skline
I run the shorty block hugger headers on mine and they work with no problems. As Andrew said, get a good muffler shop to do the rest of the system and you wont have any problems. That is what I did.
neo914-6
RH once revealed which Sanderson headers they sold but they were two lefts or rights, I forget which model.

I use Corvette headers, currently Hooker competition. I'll need to check which year. They route the exhaust under the axles which most try to avoid...
1bad914
My headers are not true huggers, they are longer, the left side headers ends right in the middle of the space that the shift rod wants to occupy.
smrz914
I'm using suburban/tahoe shorty headers. They look like these:

user posted image

part number sum-g9014, notice the 9014 in the part number.

From summit catalog
Aaron Cox
what??? no mandrel bent exhaust andyrew???

happy11.gif
Andyrew
Remember...

Im getting a new system.....
GWN7
Mine build sheets shows Summit #SUM-SLP30092 & #SUM-30096 as the header part numbers.

Both were $199.95 each.

From a 92-93 Suburan (first #) & 92-93 Blazer/Yukon (second #)

I gather thats a left & right set, but you only use 1 from each.
maf914
I don't have a V8 but looking at Andrew's photo makes me wonder why you need shorty hugger-type manifolds. In the photo it looks like there is room to use a header that goes ouside the shift rod and drops down lower. Or is the idea for the shorties to keep the pipes higher to get over the axles? Why is over the axle preferred, since the stock four and six exhausts seem to work fine routed below the axles? Just wondering... idea.gif

Also, the Suburban shorties in the photo don't have equal length primaries. Is this a big deal compared to equal length headers? Or is it just a matter of "They're better than the cast iron stock manifolds"?
Andyrew
You dont need a shorty... Most headers will work with it.

one of the main factors is to keep it away from the pulleys and water pump mount.

The idea for shortys is cus... there the cheapest, and keep it clean and out of the way (ha ya right....)

Over the axle is prefered to keep the axles in reach easy, and for when the car is raised from the ground the axles will lower, and keeping good distance is crucial, but then ground clearance also needs to be kept in mind... especially with 3in pipes compared to 1.5 in pipes......

Equal length headers with twin y's (two exhaust ports converging, then two of those converging per header.... IE best flow...) or non lengh headers will only differ in hp by a small amount. maybe 10 max. you cant feel 10 hp diff with a sbc.....
maf914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Aug 27 2005, 05:50 AM)
but then ground clearance also needs to be kept in mind... especially with 3in pipes compared to 1.5 in pipes......

Aha, 3" diameter pipes. Now I get it. cool_shades.gif Thanks, Andrew. biggrin.gif
GWN7
here's another pic of the routing from the underside.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.