Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loaning out an AX car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
Anyone loan out their AX car at events? Whats a reasonable fee to charge $50

I've been loaning mine to a mate for upto 6 runs a day, happy too. But worry about the cost of tyres, fuel, maintenance, upgrades etc.
URY914
You mean you are there with him or he comes and gets the car and runs it without you?

If you are loaning him the car completly and you are not there, I'd say he needs to buy all the gas and a set of tires. And if he if something breaks, he pays for it.

Now if you are both there and you are sharing the car it is a little different. He should pay your entry fee and buy your lunch and all the beer afterwards.

Kinda hard to put an actual $ amount on it.

Paul
Demick
If you are using competition tires, then tire wear is ~$50-$75 per day alone. Add on top of that gas, maintenance, and risk of a miss-shift and you've got your total.

Demick
Joe Bob
There's a guy that rents out a 944 at the SD PCA AX....might wanna contact them and get some costs....
grantsfo
Depending on how many runs I would agree with Demick that your looking at $50 -$75 just in tire wear. My approach is if somone I know who drives 914's wants to drive my car its my pleasure to provide them with the car. If they break it I fix it. I have always thought it to be tacky to loan your car out to somone and then expect them to fix things that break even if they make a mistake.
Joe Ricard
Interesting topic.
Hassan has been co driving my car with me. The original plan was for him to buy it from me and then me co drive it till the stripper is done.
All plans are up in the air Because I don't want to sell it. He will still co-drive. I don't worry about it there is a rev limiter on it, he is an awesome driver, He serves as tire monkey, teacher and technical advisor for car set up.

He threw me a new Simpson Cam lock. Guess he is tired of the old latch type harness. beer.gif

Sombody sell him a 914 so I can keep mine!
Rough_Rider
Cheers fellas,
definitly a complex topic. from race car rental experience your easily looking at a few $100 per event, plus a hefty damage liability.

But this is my little project car, things are gonna break regardless of me driving it vs someone else. So if it breaks i'll fix it, no worries.

I'm happy for others to drive the car, thats what i built it for & the more folks driving it the more feedback i get. The porsche philosophy i guess.
So all i'd aim to cover is consumables, mostly tires.
Joe Ricard
We talked about charging for ride alongs. biggrin.gif Nearly never an empty passenger seat. Of course the charge would be pro rated buy the length of the skirt. Now the passenger gets a 5 point so some rides will still be free. drooley.gif
balljoint
Okay Joe. How much for him to ride along?
Joe Ricard
Damn it, How do you get coffee out of the key board when blown out my nose.

Bastard finger.gif

"Uh hang on man I need to get one clean run without a passenger" You can get the next one. Little does he know that was my last run of the day.
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif

He'll take a "rain check" and see you at the next event.

More OT I think that an agreed amount for tire wear is cool, plus I would expect a friend who was a regular borrower would also loan me tools, help wrench on the car and bring beer when they did. As far as loaning a car out on a regular basis to someone I didn't know? huh.gif ohmy.gif sad.gif dry.gif wacko.gif Not just yet.
J P Stein
I had Chuck buy the tires at the start of the season, help with the maintinence, & throw in some gas money occasionally.
Worked fine.
Last winter I tole him I was gonna put 5K in the car and it was
gonna cost him half......he bought another car to run biggrin.gif
No resentment either way. I got less wear & tear and he got a new toy. biggrin.gif

The bottom line: If both of you don't get something out of the deal, it won't work.
serge914
I think a rev. limiter is essential.
Joe Bob
So....what happens if the renter beats yer time???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.