Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Keiser rims w kumho tires mounted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Went to Tire Rack today and got the Kumho V710's mounted on my new (too me) Keizer rims. Went the with the 205 50 15 non heat cycled. Of course when I got home I had to put them on the car. I using 1/8" spacer on the rears and 1/4"on the front looks like I need to adjust my ride height a little. Front is setting 24 inches from floor to top of wheel arch, rears are at 22.
GaroldShaffer
Tight fit in the rear, glad a PO somewhere along the line rolled the fender lip.
tat2dphreak
those are SLICK man!!! down right fucking SICK! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
GaroldShaffer
When I get the car painted ina year or two I will have to put on that clear stone guard flim type stuff on the lower fender / valance area.
burnout.gif
Joe Ricard
Damn you can go 4 wheelin wit dat car.
Don't worry so much about the hieght of the fender lips or top of fender.

Measure ride hieght at the lift donuts. When you get her down below 4" then you got sumpin. I am some where around 3 3/4 to 3 7/8.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 24 2005, 12:51 PM)
Damn you can go 4 wheelin wit dat car.
Don't worry so much about the hieght of the fender lips or top of fender.

Measure ride hieght at the lift donuts. When you get her down below 4" then you got sumpin. I am some where around 3 3/4 to 3 7/8.

laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice on ride height. I have never adjusted that before so I will get out my trusty haynes manual and read up.
GaroldShaffer
Well I had to go and measure. 5 3/4 at the donuts. huh.gif

Bring on the flood waters laugh.gif
Trekkor
Those tires and wheels look really nice.

Do you have adustable rear spring perches?
You'll need those if you want to lower the rear at all.

front- Haynes pg 106.

KT
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 24 2005, 01:16 PM)
Those tires and wheels look really nice.

Do you have adustable rear spring perches?
You'll need those if you want to lower the rear at all.

front- Haynes pg 106.

KT

He can't go lower anyways. The tire WILL rub the outer fender and it only takes a little bit to burn the paint. With stiff suspension poly bushings I had a 3/8 " between tire and fender. 1 run and came back with 2 of the cutest burn marks in the primer. size of a quarter.

I forgot about the rear suspension as I am used to coil overs.
flesburg
How much clearance do you have on the inside at the rear? If you have good clearance between the tire and the inner fender, take out the rear spacers, and you will gain the clearance you need at the rear fender lip.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 24 2005, 02:32 PM)
How much clearance do you have on the inside at the rear? If you have good clearance between the tire and the inner fender, take out the rear spacers, and you will gain the clearance you need at the rear fender lip.

agree.gif
Trekkor
You can fit the 205/50/15 right in there.

I've done it on 7" rims, so has Nathan and Grant has 8" rims. smash.gif

KT

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 24 2005, 01:32 PM)

without the spacer on the rear the rim rubs the brake caliper dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM)
You can fit the 205/50/15 right in there.

I've done it on 7" rims, so has Nathan and Grant has 8" rims. smash.gif

KT

Its not a problem with my fuchs, If I remember correctly the backspacing on fuchs is.... 5 1/2? The keizer is 5 1/8. Maybe its the other way around. I will check tomorrow.
grantsfo
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 24 2005, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 24 2005, 01:32 PM)

without the spacer on the rear the rim rubs the brake caliper dry.gif

Yep, Kiezer fixed that with the inserts they used on my wheels. We worked on clearences etc and they finally found an insert that would clear the brake calipers. So I dont have to use spacers.

My wheels have 5 inch back spacing and are 8" wide. They fit like a glove.

You can see the difference in the new insert here:

user posted image
GaroldShaffer
Well I went out and tried to adjust the ride height...I'm fuched ohmy.gif It's is low as it can go, though I can get it adjusted up to over 7 inches from the floor to the donut laugh.gif

so now what confused24.gif I guess just run it the way it is and see what happens.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 24 2005, 06:01 PM)
[Yep, Kiezer fixed that with the inserts they used on my wheels. We worked on clearences etc and they finally found an insert that would clear the brake calipers. So I dont have to use spacers.

My wheels have 5 inch back spacing and are 8" wide. They fit like a glove.

Is there specs / part number or something on that insert?
Joe Ricard
Not to be a pain the ass Grant but what is your ride hieght @ the lift donuts.

Second thing you know what I wanna do? I wanna use a Mahle center on Kiezer hoops. That would be so bitchin.

Why do I keep thinking Fuchs Mahles and Pedrini all have 4 1/2 inch back space??????

WHY do I have to put a 1/4 inch spacer on my Fuchs with Kumho V700 205/50-15 ??????
or it will rub the inner fender well. I got the marks to prove it.

Maybe my EARLY car is different way different.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 24 2005, 08:46 PM)
Well I went out and tried to adjust the ride height...I'm fuched ohmy.gif It's is low as it can go, though I can get it adjusted up to over 7 inches from the floor to the donut laugh.gif

so now what confused24.gif I guess just run it the way it is and see what happens.

Garold,

I'm assuming you are referring to your front end suspension, which is totally adjustable for ride height.

You need to re-index your torsion bars.

I quote Skline:

Remove the end cap on the torsion bar on the inside by removing the adjustment bolt and pull the end cap off and change it to give you more adjustment. In other words, if it is at the top when you remove it, put it back in more towards the bottom and then put the adjustment bolt back in. Then you will have more adjustment. You will need a jack underneath the control arm to get it out and then to put it back in.

If you're referring to the rear suspension, you need to give us more info.

Nice wheels. rolleyes.gif

grantsfo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 24 2005, 07:01 PM)

Second thing you know what I wanna do? I wanna use a Mahle center on Kiezer hoops. That would be so bitchin.

Why do I keep thinking Fuchs Mahles and Pedrini all have 4 1/2 inch back space??????

WHY do I have to put a 1/4 inch spacer on my Fuchs with Kumho V700 205/50-15 ??????
or it will rub the inner fender well. I got the marks to prove it.

Maybe my EARLY car is different way different.

My car is pretty well slammed now. I'm thinking its 4" from th doghnuts. I cant get my floor jack under the car anymore since my last lowering session. And I had same issue with my fuchs with 205/50/15's rubbing on inside occasionally. I think wider rims keep sidewalls from buldging out.
GaroldShaffer
Yep I I was talking about the front.

Thanks for the info beer.gif
john rogers
Do you know anybody with a set of scales? I would wait until you can get the car on a set to adjust the height if it were me. It looks like in the pictures anyways, that it can go a bunch lower both front (1 inch) and rear (1/2 inch). Of course when you lower the car, the alignment is really going to change so that means an home/pro alignment and then do the corner balancing so those new tires can really do their work!
grantsfo
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 24 2005, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 24 2005, 06:01 PM)
[Yep, Kiezer fixed that with the inserts they used on my wheels.  We worked on clearences etc and they finally found an insert that would clear the brake calipers.  So I dont have to use spacers.

My wheels have 5 inch back spacing and are 8" wide.  They fit like a glove.

Is there specs / part number or something on that insert?

My sense is they dont have part numbers - but I'm sure Wade Huisman at Keizer will know the blank. I worked with him over the phone for quite a while. I'm sure he will remember. Its not their magnesium insert - its an aluminum insert.
Joe Ricard
Did we mention this was going to be fun? So what kind of camber are you running?
I have a touch over 2 degrees in back tire temp was 132 inside 130 middle and 129 outside and I was REALLY driving hard on fast sweeper AX course. I am going to add a thin shim and that should be about it.

Front is a touch less than 2 degrees tire temp was the complete opposite 129 inside 130 middle 133 outside. Got Welt camber plates and they are all in. Got to figure out how I want to get more front camber. Probably smash.gif and beer.gif

Anyway you can get more clearance with more negative camber. and them big fatty tires won't like less than "LOTS of CAMBER" !!!!

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (john rogers @ Aug 24 2005, 07:31 PM)
Do you know anybody with a set of scales? I would wait until you can get the car on a set to adjust the height if it were me. It looks like in the pictures anyways, that it can go a bunch lower both front (1 inch) and rear (1/2 inch). Of course when you lower the car, the alignment is really going to change so that means an home/pro alignment and then do the corner balancing so those new tires can really do their work!

Good point, actually I do. smile.gif

I made a call today to a somewhat local shop that most of the guys in our local Porsche Club use. I will take the 914 there monday and go over the whole ride height / alignment / corner balancing thing. I needed to do this a long time ago, I guess the new rims & tires finally got me off my bootyshake.gif to gett'r done.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 25 2005, 03:42 AM)
Did we mention this was going to be fun? So what kind of camber are you running?
I have a touch over 2 degrees in back tire temp was 132 inside 130 middle and 129 outside and I was REALLY driving hard on fast sweeper AX course. I am going to add a thin shim and that should be about it.

Front is a touch less than 2 degrees tire temp was the complete opposite 129 inside 130 middle 133 outside. Got Welt camber plates and they are all in. Got to figure out how I want to get more front camber. Probably smash.gif and beer.gif

Anyway you can get more clearance with more negative camber. and them big fatty tires won't like less than "LOTS of CAMBER" !!!!

Not much. If I remeber correctly I have just about 1 degree in the rear and someting like .05 in the front.
Joe Ricard
Well them sticky fat tires will not be any better than what you had. Cept only last 1/3 as long.
When you lower it you will get some - camber but nowhere near enough.

Sticky tires REQUIRE more negative camber or you will only be riding on the shoulder of the outside edge. till it loses grip and you are sliding is some undesired direction. dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
So in your professional opinion wink.gif how much negative camber would be best? This is a car that is also driven on the street (granted only like 3 -4k a year at most) I would like to have something that is the best of both worlds AX & street driving, though every day I lean more towards an AX car that is driven on the street than a street car the is used for AXing.

Just last night I was trying to convince the wife that another 914 would be a good idea, this way we (I) can have the 914 for AXing & DE stuff another for the street. Needless to say she didn't buy it dry.gif but she said IF we get another P car it must have a back seat for the kid idea.gif Maybe a nice 1997 911 or a early 928, there is still hope laugh.gif slap.gif <-- That's from my wife
Joe Ricard
Well not my professional opinion but a wise old man (JP) told me that -2 degrees is a good place to start for these sticky tires. fine tune from there with temp readings.

I am in about the same boat as you, I have an Autocross car that I drive to and from the events and work sometimes. 10k miles a year
I run cheap street tires 195/50 front 195/60-15 rear on Mahles. It's what I got and it seems to work.

if I had a 10 foot pole and a pile of money I "MIGHT" buy another 928. I have another teener in the garage aka. "The Stripper" I have been gathering parts for it to build a bitch'n street only car.
grantsfo
Hoosier reccomends -3 degrees. I have a little over -2 front and rear. Nathan was able to get more by grinding front mounting area. Camber settings will actually do more for AX slick performance than pressures in my opinion.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 24 2005, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 24 2005, 07:01 PM)

Second thing you know what I wanna do? I wanna use a Mahle center on Kiezer hoops.  That would be so bitchin.

WHY do I have to put a 1/4 inch spacer on my Fuchs with Kumho V700  205/50-15 ??????
or it will rub the inner fender well.  I got the marks to prove it.  

Maybe my EARLY car is different  way different.

My car is pretty well slammed now. I'm thinking its 4" from th doghnuts. I cant get my floor jack under the car anymore since my last lowering session. And I had same issue with my fuchs with 205/50/15's rubbing on inside occasionally. I think wider rims keep sidewalls from buldging out.

mine is liek ~4" to the donuts also....

205's on 6" fuchs rubbed inside fender.....

205's on 7's...not nearly as much...

but this is with -2.5 deg of camber in rear ohmy.gif
J P Stein
Joe:
Your temps in the rear are just right....or as close as one gets to right. The insides are supposed to be a touch warmer.... IMO, of course.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Aug 25 2005, 07:51 PM)
Joe:
Your temps in the rear are just right....or as close as one gets to right. The insides are supposed to be a touch warmer.... IMO, of course.

Cool thanks JP, Now about them fronts. Got to go read the Street Mod rules real careful like. figure out if I can cut the hole bigger or just might get the weltmiester plate trimmed on the inside. Maybe a little of both.
J P Stein
To get one degree more negative camber, you have to move the strut mounts about .200 inboard. That's off the top of my head being as I'm too lazy to go out & do the measurements/calcumulations properly. biggrin.gif

I'm off to Packwood, WA for an SCCA event. Practice all day Sat & the event on Sun. Rain is in the forcast for Sunday.....shit. I stunk up the joint last time up there.....sometimes you eat the bear....... I plan the shoot a whole DVD of video then bore youz guys to tears with em'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.