Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy AC Idea?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
I'm not an engineer or a HVAC expert, but I did see a 914 on EBay that someone had placed a window AC unit in the front trunk. Very cobbled up, but it got me thinking. With all the 914-6 conversions out there, has anyone ever considered using a small home window unit compressor along with other VPC components to do an AC system for a 914-6. I need all the room possible in the interior of the 914-6, so cutting the firewall is not an option, but AC would be nice in the summer in the Midwest.

Any engineering or experimental types out there with ideas?
bondo
Home AC compressors have the motor and compressor in one sealed unit, so there would be no easy way to run it from a DC motor. So you'd have to run an inverter, and it would have to be a pretty good one as AC motors don't like artificial sine waves. Home AC compressors also use a different refrigerant (which I've been told is less efficient or something) and my not be compatible with automotive refrigerants.

So for the same cooling, you will have to make up for the engergy conversion inefficiencies (Belt to alternator to inverter to electric motor to compressor, instead of just belt to compressor) and perhaps a refrigerant inefficiency as well.

It may be do-able, but there must be a better way.
bd1308
apparently he had the alternator rewired to allow for some crazy value like 180amp or something....i was floored.
Mr.C
I thought it was interesting so I saved it..............

· Custom A/C system, that’s right this Porsche has A/C!!!!!! I will try to give as much info as possible cause I think lots of 914 owners will ask about this. This is not the typical a/c that bogs down the engine with a compressor motor bolted to the engine, this a/c runs completely off of electric, the alternator was rebuilt increasing the amperage from the stock 55 amps to 140 amps, giving you lots of extra power to run a much needed a/c system. I Took a power inverter capable of handling 2400 watts and hooked it up to an a/c unit with a cooling capability of 8000 BTU’s that’s enough power to cool 250 - 500 square feet. How big is your Porsche? Bur it’s, it’s, it’s cold in here. (that’s big enough to cool one of the rooms in your house), then running heater hoses to a box with 2 blower motors, then running more hose to the existing stock Porsche blower motor allows the user of the car to blow the cold air out of either the stock vent on the dash or the stock vents located on the bottom of the dash, using the stock controls for selecting fresh air. Air flow from the unit is pushed by the a/c blower, then the booster, then by the Porsche fresh air blower motor making certain the inside of your Porsche feels as cool as you look. As with most power inverters this one has a safety, so if voltage falls the inverter cuts off so your battery does not run down, system was designed to be serviceable if the a/c unit fails simply remove and replace the unit with a new one which can be found at your local hardware store for 200 dollars and reconnect the wires for the power switch, this is a new unit and should last for many years before having to be replaced. This is the same type of a/c unit you might use in your home. Condensation escapes through a port in the floor under the unit. Air is drawn into the a/c unit using the Porsche’s stock fresh air vent. The only alterations made for the a/c system were the mounting of 3 switches, mounted discreetly under the ash tray, and 3 small holes for running electrical wires in or near the wheel well and 2, two inch holes for the a/c hoses. (I have the receipt for alternator rebuild)
Mr.C
asds
Mr.C
asdf
Mr.C
lkjh
bd1308
lol2.gif
Mr.C
No way would I do this to a 914.......Now a motorhome maybe? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.