Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know what a 901/74 gearbox is?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Monson
We picked up a 901/74 gearbox recently. It doesn't appear in any of the spec books that we've got here at the shop.
It is an aluminum case with special ratios. The ratios are:
1B
2HA
3M
4R
5V
Uses an 904 mainshaft.

Any of you tech gurus able to tell me what car this was for. Our best guess is it is a factory racebox, maybe for a hill climb car. Any help is appreciated...
bondo
Sweet! What's the ring and pinion tooth count? Looks like a rare box indeed.
ArtechnikA
911R is shown with a 901/54 but that's as close as i could find.

my guess is it's a rallye (Monte Carlo type) 911R or 911ST box - but that's just a guess. there were several "901" gear boxes used through the 911ST days, with displacements up to 2,3 liters but as soon as the 915 was available it was used in the race cars which were already stressing the 901's capabilities.
Matt Monson
That's what we were figuring. If you look at the factory spec books, they go right up to the 901/54 and then there is a jump to the 901/75. I was just hoping someone could come up with a sure ID of the gearbox...
ArtechnikA
i don't think there were [m]any 911R's (or ST's, or...) in North America "in the day." i don't even know who i'd go to to ask. there were 911R's and 911ST's at the Hershey Parade, so those owners (or whoever they contracted to perform the restorations...) may have done the research.

i haven't been through EWE - i haven't even opened the new edition; might be in there. (2000 pages, you'd expect *everything* to be in there...) but this is your research project, not mine :-).

actually -- Jim Schrager has been researching an early 911 book -- i bet he'd know, or know who would know. or Gary Fairbanks -- he's "the" transmission guy here on the East Coast.
Matt Monson
Rich,
Thanks for the leads...
BMartin914
hijacked.gif

So Matt,

Are you planning on coming to Moab for the Red Rock Classic at the end of next month?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 24 2005, 03:10 PM)
We picked up a 901/74 gearbox recently. It doesn't appear in any of the spec books that we've got here at the shop.
It is an aluminum case with special ratios. The ratios are:
1B
2HA
3M
4R
5V
Uses an 904 mainshaft.

Any of you tech gurus able to tell me what car this was for. Our best guess is it is a factory racebox, maybe for a hill climb car. Any help is appreciated...

Might ask Otto. The Cap'n
Matt Monson
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Aug 25 2005, 08:56 AM)
hijacked.gif

So Matt,

Are you planning on coming to Moab for the Red Rock Classic at the end of next month?

I'll consider it. I was supposed to be in SLC for a Subaru event, but our booking for the new track was scrubbed and the whole event cancelled. So, now I have that weekend open...
Ferg
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 25 2005, 12:13 PM)
hijacked.gif

So Matt,

I'll consider it. I was supposed to be in SLC for a Subaru event, but our booking for the new track was scrubbed and the whole event cancelled. So, now I have that weekend open...

so why are you still considering it wink.gif .
drive the subaru, we promise to wait for you after each corner laugh.gif
Ferg
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 25 2005, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 25 2005, 12:13 PM)
hijacked.gif

So Matt,

so why are you still considering it wink.gif .
drive the subaru, we promise to wait for you after each corner laugh.gif
Ferg

Now that is funny...
BMartin914
Now you're weekend is open. No excuses now Matt. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.