Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you buy an engine off e-Bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I'm in the market for a new 2.7, 3.0 or 3.2 engine for the 914/6 since the old one went Ka-Blammo!

I saw this on eBay:

Porsche 3.2 ebay listing

I was very temped to bid, but I have had problems with misrepresentation of goods purchased on eBay.

This listing did not have very much documentation ... engine #s, compression/leakdown numbers, location of seller, etc.

If you have a great motor, I'm guessing it would be easy to sell locally. An engine with internal problems would be easy to disguise on eBay.

There were no identifying numbers presented in this eBay advertisement. An unscrupulous seller could very easily ship an engine that was not actually shown.

Would you buy this engine?

Eddie
Allan
I looked at it Monday and IF I had the money I would have at least tried to get more info and possibly have a club member check it out.
anthony
The risk is too great to buy an engine you have not seen run nor have had your mechanic test for compression, leakdown, and broken headstuds (esp. on a 3.0). Ideally, you'd also want mileage documentation on the car it came out of. IMO, any engine that doesn't meet those criteria is considered a core engine that you will rebuild and should be priced accordingly.

The other factor is the source of the end. Some dismantlers have good reputations and will actually take back and engine that didn't work as advertised.

Finally, "User ID kept private" is a big red flag to me on an ebay auction.

DNHunt
If I had any questions I couldn't get answered to my satisfaction I wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't play a long shot. Give Emory a call at Parts Obsolete. He got a barn full of stuff. I'm not sure about engines on hand but, I bet he would have a line on something with a Northwest flavor.

Dave
Bleyseng
Ask KevinP (Rhodyguy) about buying a motor long distance......

Shop around in the NW or call EASY in Calif to see if they gots one.

Usually Campbell/Nelsen has em but they are $$$$ if you are ina hurry
mack914
Purchased 2,2T from a guy in Seattle. Air lifted it to Toledo for my 914. Held my breath and kept my fingers crossed as we got this bad boy fired up. Paid $1800 on e-bay, had the carbs rebuilt and according to Bob, my mechanic, I did good. Engine sounds great and I realize that it's not the same risk as same may have with a $3000-5000 e-bay special, but there is still an element of risk with a bit of luck. Its always a gut feeling when making a major purchase when you have nothing to go on but the honesty of the person on the other end. I'm pleased where some others may not. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.