Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which paint for valve covers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SM2270
Is there a durable, high temp paint for the stock valve covers? Regular engine paint scratches off the first time you pop in the bail wire. I have an "industrial" rustoleum paint that may work. But it says not for over 200F.

Thanks.
Scott.
Kostamojen
I used a High-temp (1200 degree) Cermaic spray paint from Kragen... Its holding up fine so far on my "project" car, but I did do like 6 coats or so.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/166896...173764121EmQGiN
SM2270
Does it last because it is ceramic? Or because there are so many layers?
I've heard of using paint for b-b-q grills. But wasn't sure how strong it is?

Scott.
3liter914-6
QUOTE (SM2270 @ Aug 24 2005, 09:39 PM)
Does it last because it is ceramic? Or because there are so many layers?
I've heard of using paint for b-b-q grills. But wasn't sure how strong it is?

Scott.

Maybe a powdercoat? I get almost all my powdercoating done in a black epoxy that my local shop is always pushing on me. Oil and gas resistant, and it's VERY durable. I had my trailing arms done, and then installed the Mueller bearings. Lots of banging and scraping and cussing, and there wasn't a scratch on them. I can probably get you the name and code for it if you're interested, it's from one of the big powder suppliers so any shop will probably have it, or can get it.

URY914
I use a nice cheap spray paint on mine. I spray them before I put them on. Than after I scrap the the shit of of them getting them on, I spray them again. They look nice.

Also, I will never use any color other than black from now on. I used red for a while and it looked great for one a/x run. It went downhill quick after that.

Paul
Tobra
powdercoat is the way to go
SM2270
Thanks for the input. I was hoping for an over the counter spray. But I do want something that will last. About how much is it for powder coating? Black- keeping it simple.
Tobra
For small parts like that, you could do it your self. There are all sorts of things you can use it on. It would not be cost effective if the valve covers are the only thing you were going to do, but it would be good for heater boxes, exhaust, wheels. Most anything you could paint you can powder coat. Check out

Eastwood

They have more cool stuff than you can shake a stick at
Rusty
If you're gonna buy a powdercoating rig... check out Columbia Coatings.

Quality gear, nice powder, friendly tech support by someone who actually *knows* powdercoating, rather than some phonemonkey reading out of a manual.

-L
SM2270
Wow. Those prices for your own powdercoating equip is pretty good. The problem with owning one is that eventually everything I own would be...powdercoated. biggrin.gif
dmenche914
Do not use powder coat, it is a good heat insulator, do not use thick or multi coats, again a good heat insulator, and finally flat/matt black is the color to use, as it will radiate the heat the best. The valve covers play an important part in cooling the engine oil at the heads. There are countless artilces in the VW world about this, many many authorities make this recommendation: Use a thin coat of flat black paint, high temp flat black is what to use.
scrape marks for the bail is just a fact of life on these cars. If you are worried about the marking up from the bail removal / install, place some thin card stock, or plactic thin board under the bail as you slip it on and off too protect the paint.

The valve covers are constantly coated in a layer of oil that runs down them, then back to the sump via pushrod tubes. the valve covers are in the air stream, and thus serve as a cooling surface for the oil (also note the thick cork gasket helps serve as a thermal barrier between the cover and the cylinder head)

Decades of VW racer, and stock car owners have been advised of this by the racing experts, and engine builders, one thin coat of flat black or a matt black is best for radiating heat. same goes for the engine case by the way, if you must paint your case, thin flat/matt black, but the case does not really need paint as it wont rust, and it does not serve as much as a heat radiator as the valve covers. See articles by the late Gene Berg, among others

powder coating, and thick colorful glossy paint looks nice, but has no place on the VW based aircooled motor, unless you want a show car that does not optimize cooling. It's an all show, not an all go thing to powder coat, or use glossy finish or thick paint.

thats the scoop.

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.