Full Version: OT:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
The
McMark
Uh oh, this sounds like a dangerous topic. unsure.gif

Never heard of it Chris. confused24.gif
DrifterJay
idea.gif I dont know much about it personally...but I do know my mothers side of the family is deeply into that stuff...you got me curious anyways...
-Jared...

Tensegrity? Would that be the same as a warlock to some extent?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Aug 24 2005, 10:59 PM)
Tensegrity? Would that be the same as a warlock to some extent?

No Jay,
Tensegrity is a collection of movements that promote well-being, a little like tai chi.
The term is borrowed from architecture. It is a combination of the words tension and integrity.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 24 2005, 07:50 PM)
The recent discussion about prayer and religion prompted me to ask.
It's something I've been up to since before I even knew 914s existed.
I used to surf a forum devoted to the mastery of awareness and seeing (ie. sorcery)
So, anybody else practice Tensegrity?
mueba.gif

Read all his books and practice "dreaming", only have done it a few times though....

life is one big distraction......

this ain't about religion its 'bout philosophy!

smile.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Aug 24 2005, 09:19 PM)

this ain't about religion its 'bout philosophy!

agree.gif

It's been a while. I really enjoyed his writings.

datapace
zzz
SGB
Tensegrity is a collection of movements that promote well-being

like a good downshift around a slower car-
"Yeah, Bob, he used his tensegrity to take the position" biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
<!--
reverie
I've read all of Carlos' books, too. Awesome stuff, in the true sense of the word. It's frustrating for me to live a busy lifestyle and not have enough time to think about his experiences, because some of the chapters require a lot of thought. My analytical brain seeks to interpret and understand.. the Eagle, for instance.. is that his perception, or is it seeing, and is it literal?.. and what is its purpose? Carlos' writing style is wonderful, and Don Juan and Don Genaro are very interesting personalities, to say the least! smile.gif

Some of his books are online:
http://www.terebess.hu/english/fire6.html
ChrisFoley
One
TimT
Yes, Ive read them all, really enjoyed them. And to this day look for eagles, moths etc.. similies between life and his writings.

I read them over 25 years ago, during a time when I was expanding my mind rather frequently.

I still have the whole set, maybe its time to gove them another read
ChrisFoley
<!--
ChrisFoley
You
rhodyguy
read him exstensively while i was in the service. the "power walking" concept got me through many forced marches. form and focus.

k
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 25 2005, 08:37 AM)
I discovered that a reader will only grasp information that is at or near his own level of awareness, yet the same book read by someone at another level will reveal a deeper knowledge.

"when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

i haven't read any Casteneda but i will put him on my list.
SLITS
Yes, every one of them. I walk with my back straight and my hands cupped.
anthony
I wonder how Tensegrity differs from yoga. It sounds very similar.
ChrisFoley
To
Matt Monson
Yes,
I have read all of his books 3-4 times. I have done my fair share of mystical exploration, including the ingestion of Datura on a number of occasions.

True story. You know how he talks about the spirit of the plant and having to tame it, etc. etc.? And if you aren't careful the spirit of the plant could kill you? (Let alone the atropine in the plant) Well, I used to pick my datura from this plant right at the base of Old Priest Grade on the way to Yosemite. One day I gathered some Datura and went up to Touleme to solo the Muir route on Cathedral Peak.

I smoked the datura on the hike in, and came on as I started up the shoulder. I was scrambling in 3rd class terrain on the slabs. The slab I was climbing up (about the size of a 914) started to slide down the slab. I scrambled to the upper edge of the rock right as it slid off the slab on down onto the next tier. I broke my leg (cracked the front of the tibia, not all the way through) and got a concussion and various scratches and cuts.

So, I hike the 5 miles to the car, and decide it best to drop elevation and get myself to my doctor back in San Mateo. I am driving down Old Priest Grade and the throttle on my '85 Accord sticks. It is an automatic car, so all I can really do is coast in neutral or force it to 1st at 4000rpm. I am careening down the road making the crazy switchbacks (those from CA that know this road will know what a treacherous mountain road it is) with the wheels squeeling, gaining speed. I finally decide I won't make it because the brakes have super heated, and there is a stopsign right at the bottom where it dumps onto the highway. I decide to crash the car on the next turn. I go striaght for the wall, force it into park, and pull the e-brake. The car comes up short of the hillside by less than a foot. I get out and the front brakes are on fire! I look down the hill, and there is the Datura plant less than 100 yards away.

I will spare you to rest of the tale about how I got home. But the next time I went to Yosemite about a month later, when I drove by that plant it was dead! Either you believe in this sort of thing or you don't. So I fully expect some people reading this to think me a freak. But all I know is what happened that day, and that it left me seriously questioning if the plant in fact had a spirit that went to war with me. I have never done datura since...
ChrisFoley
At least it sounds like you won the battle.
I would avoid datura like the plague after an experience like that.
Do you remember reading what Don Juan told Carlos many years later when he asked why Juan fed him the power plants so many times?
Matt Monson
I don't remember the exact reason, but what I've found is that over time I no longer needed or wanted the plants to alter my perception. I had learned to alter it without the chemical impetus.

One place this sort of thing has really played out in my life is in rock climbing. I am an avid climbing, and have always seen climbing about joining in the with forces of gravity and moving with the least possible resistance, as opposed to many who climb to conquer. I climb towards some sort ot ephemeral unity. I am a solid 5.10 climbing. When I am fit, I can climb some 5.11's, and have done a handful of 5.12's.

Last year I wasn't climbing at all. We were up Boulder Canyon climbing and doing nice casual 5.8's 9's and 10's. There was this 5.11c that looked like really fun movement. I've got a top rope up, so I figure, what have I got to lose? I get on this thing and it started to get to the crux. And I had this sort of shift of consciousness, and everything slowed way down. And it got really easy. At one point, I was hanging on my two fingers and a non-existant toe hold, and didn't even feel the force of gravity pulling me down. I ended up doing the climb without falling even though I was in terrible shape. Once I was back on the ground my partner told me I had made it look easy and that he had never seen me climb like that ever. I was reminded of the waterfall with Don Genaro once I stepped back and looked at the experience from afar...
anthony
If I wanted to check out one of his books, is there a logical book to start with or can you read them in any order?
Matt Monson
You do want to read them is a certain order because it is covering the progression of his apprenticeship as a sorcery. In the later books, he does retrace some of the early experiences from a later perspective of what he had learned. But you want to read them in order. I will check the order and post a list manana...
TimT
I kind of fell out of touch with his writings after I graduated college.. way back when.

Didnt realize he was still turning out the books..I Have to much on my plate now, but this winter when things ease Ill pick em up and reread
reverie
Nice baby you have there. smile.gif
TimT
jess part of the garden

ohmy.gif

beerchug.gif
Matt Monson
Here's the first 6 books for anyone interested:

The Teachings of Don Juan
A Seperate Reality
Journey to Ixtlan
Tales of Power
The Second Ring of Power
The Eagle's Gift
ChrisFoley

For
pfierb
God but this is a facinating web site.....now I know why I'm here every day.
If I hadn't bought my 914 would never have known you people existed.

Thanks Paul F.
TimT
yes its Williamsii, grows a it differently in the North East
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.