Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: powerbook tech,anybody?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I have a Titanium G4, the fan has never turned on and it's getting really hot.....

i get no voltage at the posts for the fan connection....i tried two different fans too.

i have no clue what's going on here?
McMark
They get really hot. How are you so sure that the fan is supposed to be on right then? You'd only get voltage if the computer was trying to turn the fan on.
Verruckt
Who the hell would buy a Mac?!?!?! I suppose you are going to tell me you have linux installed on it too?

I have no idea why the fan is not coming on. I have no idea if they even follow acpi or whatever. Bios? Do they have that? Sorry... dry.gif
Eric Taylor
Yeah mark is right, they will burn you they get so hot, it's hard to tell when the fan is suppost to come on. Have you ever heard it turn on? I had my Ti for 6 months before I heard the fan turn on. Anyway it may be cooling properly, those early g4's are hot as hell.
Eric
scotty914
can you trace the board to the transistor that controls the fan, and test it. or just hot wire the fan to a power source
Rand
Agree, they can get scary hot before the fan kicks in. But.... Does it ever kick in? Is it still under warranty? Maybe have a service center check it.

Otherwise, preheat the oven to 550. Connect Powerbook to Pertronix extension cables, to new motherboard with freshly-replaced capacitors, to Linux box with custom-coded monitoring software. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. If the fan never comes on, return to iPod dealer. Otherwise interface with red lever between the seats.
Otmar
Temperature Monitor

If it's over 60 deg C and the fan is not on, you have a problem.
ArtechnikA
Macs require no technical assistance since they are perfect from the factory.
bd1308
heh.

oh well.

they get hot....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.