Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this legal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
At my apartment complex, we have a 1½-car driveway that exits to a street. Unfortunately when cars park along the curb by my apartment complex (like the big trucks and SUVs that are out there right now) you have almost ZERO visiblity for oncoming traffic -- both ways! This morning when pulling out I almost got nailed in the side by a woman speeding in a honda. Because I had no visibility I had to 'chance it' for when to take off. Monday I almost got hit on by traffic going the opposite direction. Because you can't SEE traffic coming you just have to hope nobody is coming. Between 8AM and 6PM is WORST.

So, tonight my roommates and I are going to extend the 20-foot fire zone section another 100 feet, this way we can see oncoming traffic both ways. I called the management company for my apartments and all they could tell me is that it takes the city nearly a year to get involved with a safety problem like this, and last time it happened (10 years ago) all they did was say the owner of the property can paint the fire zone. The managers went out and painted a small section.

Any chance we'll get arrested? smile.gif
McMark
Livin' on the edge. wink.gif I like it. Nice solution.
messix
do it then call the cops and tell em that there's a bunch of cars parked in the fire zone to get them towed. happy11.gif
redshift
Not if you delete this topic, and stop acting like a fucking amature.

rolleyes.gif

cool_shades.gif

Oh, Mr. Newbie, wear gloves, and dump the cans in Aruba..

M
wutzu
LMAO!!

Do it for everyone here on the forums.
SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 24 2005, 10:08 PM)
Oh, Mr. Newbie, wear gloves, and dump the cans in Aruba..

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jonwatts
I know of someone here that did this to keep people from blocking his back yard access. I thought it was hillarious and it looked really good.

Gint
I'd do it in a heartbeat...
URY914
Do it. wink.gif
Tobra
Just try and get the right color red paint. Saw a red zone in front ofan apartment in SF that was a really funky color. BTW, it probably is illegal, but only if someone sees you do it happy11.gif
mharrison
I say go for it! Then remember that YOU can't park there. It would be too ironic if you had to park there sometime and got a ticket in your counterfit "Fire Zone" !!!
redshift
hijacked.gif

I used to be in this band...

This retired FBI dood gave us all hats-n-shirts in Vegas, and we'd all wear them at the same time. So, after a couple weeks, Corey the LD picked up this theatrical blood somewhere, and when we'd pull into a town, we'd all get out of the vehicles with our shirts on, we'd pour some blood on the sidewalk, someone would lay in it, then we'd chalk him out..

cool_shades.gif

Who are you guys? Nobody. What happened here? Nothing.

M
Allan
I had an old lady that lived down the street from me who absolutely hated it when anybody parked in front of her house. She went out one day and painted the entire curb from driveway to driveway red.

It took about a week for the city to tell her it's illegal and had it removed. Then sent her the bill.
Sammy
It is illegal but you prolly won 't get caught unless someone sees you and reports it.
I suggest everyone do the same thing, we will alll start painting red curbs. Everywhere you see a curb, paint it red.
To hell with them, they don't need a place to park, they can just drive around the block until they run out of gas wink.gif
MoveQik
Put on one of those vests with the yellow stripes and go out and paint it. No one will even think to question you. Just to be safe, hang a key ring with at least 20 keys on one of your belt loops. You will look totally official. biggrin.gif
RON S.
We had a similar situation here at work.

We just made a call to the city here,explained the parking situation,they came out looked around,and installed the no parking signs.

They then put warning stickers on windshields of trucks already there,givening them an hour or so to move or be towed.Then they sent in the tow-trucks to move them.

It didn't take too long for people to get the message.

Ron
SLITS
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 25 2005, 07:44 AM)
Put on one of those vests with the yellow stripes and go out and paint it. No one will even think to question you. Just to be safe, hang a key ring with at least 20 keys on one of your belt loops. You will look totally official. biggrin.gif

You must stand around with about 6 friends for at least 5 hours, looking at the curb, drinking coffee for it to be "official". Then one guy actually paints it. Kinda like what Seemore does for a living.
Joe Bob
Ah blow me SLITs... finger.gif

My street gets narrow where the public street ends and a privately maintained road starts. Morons at Public Works decided to put a fire plug there and a piddly ass 5 foot section of red zone.

Of course when land started selling for 800K an acre in the foothills they started building up above me just under the water reservoir. The supply trucks were too big to make the turn onto the twisty 18 foot wide road so they parked next to the red zone and the hydrant.....blocking access to the road and my driveway.

A quick trip to the hardware store for some "safety red" in rattle cans extended the red another 20 feet.....the City now comes up and paints it for free....no muss no fuss....they think it was their idea....

This road is so screwed up, the Fire Department brings the rookie drivers up to practice tight turns....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Gint @ Aug 25 2005, 07:37 AM)
I'd do it in a heartbeat...

agree.gif even if I had to spend the night in the pokey, I'd do it...

great idea!
SpecialK
...or, install one of these on a pole across from the driveway. idea.gif
MarkG
Spent 13 years law enforcement in Cali.; here's the deal on traffic control devices (signs, painted curbs etc.): to be legal and enforceable, said devices must be done by a Government agency, i.e. traffic dept., Police Dept or Fire Dept.

If it's private property, and the property owner doesn't care, paint away; it just can't be enforced by the P.D.

If the parked cars make the entrance too narrow, try a complaint with the Fire Marshal, stating a fear that emergency fire equipment may not be able to enter the complex.

Or, just go back to the apartment management firm and ask them if they ever heard of the legal term TORT. Nothing like a million $ lawsuit for knowingly allowing an unsafe environment or condition to exist

MartyYeoman
I say bring it up at your next city council meeting.
Gently remind them about their liability on the issue.
They will have it painted in no time.
Remember elections are coming up.
Brian Mifsud
Cities and Traffic Safety Comittees are remarkably numb to mentions/threats of "liability".

Neighbors on my block organized a petition, attended 5 meetings with said "officials" to get resulution on speeding cars, and our narrow streets (and resulting HABITUAL sideswipes of parked cars, clipped mirrors, cars cut in half (drunk sideswipes)) BUT up to now, no dead children Thanks God and knock on wood.

Damage to parked cars has been going on for years and years (with at least 5 households having their car totalled while parked in front of house). The city has been very well acquainted with the standing hazards, but has done nothing.

City Traffic Engineer proposed several solutions, but all were vetoed by either Fire Department (must not have any impedance to their trucks) or City Council for "Budget".

Seems to me, something really aweful is gonna have to happen and then the city will be sued for ignoring a known problem...

Brando
Thanks for the input guys. A call to the city resulted in "I'll take the information, and have someone call you back." AKA: "FUGGOFF".

Please, go on about this "TORT" you mention. What is it?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 25 2005, 06:34 PM)
Thanks for the input guys. A call to the city resulted in "I'll take the information, and have someone call you back." AKA: "FUGGOFF".

Please, go on about this "TORT" you mention. What is it?

do it man!

we will come bail you out, sunday morning after the AX.... laugh.gif
SGB
oh- just paint it! If johnny govt wants to get upset, know nothing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.