Full Version: OT...sort of
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
I have a 5mp camera. The settings I can select from are as follows:

2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
640 x 480

What is the largest size I should post here? For pics that I am going to have developed, I always leave the camera at 2592 x 1944. I figure that way if I decide to enlarge one it will still look good. It also allows me to zoom and crop before developing.

After looking at how good Bee Driven's pics are, I want to get my camera dialed in before the RRC. Any thoughts?
Mueller
the smallest setting is the most friendly
Mueller
actually, I'd shoot them bigger and use your computer to make them smaller, that you don't lose any resolution if want a nice detailed picture..........

tat2dphreak
keep it on the highest setting, but shrink to whatever to post(I use 800x600 or 640x480) using the power tool in the FAQ
MoveQik
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 25 2005, 10:05 AM)

That is what I figured but I don't want to lose quality in the event that I want to make more than a 4 x 6 out of it. Is there a happy medium? Can I take them all on a high res setting and then scale them back with a photoshop type application just for posting purposes?
MoveQik
You guys beat me to my question. Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 25 2005, 11:01 AM)
What is the largest size I should post here?

640 x 480 x 72dpi, JPEG Format, medium (5) compression, Baseline "Standard" format

that will get you in the 30-40k range, filesize wise, which is perfect.

if you really *need* better quality for a very important closeup or somthing,
go up to 800 x 600 x 72dpi ...

wink.gif Andy
bbiess
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 25 2005, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 25 2005, 10:05 AM)

That is what I figured but I don't want to lose quality in the event that I want to make more than a 4 x 6 out of it. Is there a happy medium? Can I take them all on a high res setting and then scale them back with a photoshop type application just for posting purposes?

Always shoot at the highest resolution your camera will allow as you won't lose quality making an image smaller, but will get horrific results if you try to go the other way.

Use a program like Photoshop or Elements to change the overall size of an image and reduce it's resolution to 72 dots per inch (dpi) for posting to this or any other web-based locations.

Be sure to save the original, full-size and resolution image for future use (in case you want to print a copy) and always do either a 'Save-As' or better yet work on a copy when making changes to an image.

After shooting images (like these - 914 MWC Photos) my typical workflow is to copy them from a memory card to a directory on my PC, batch rename them, copy them to a CD for safe-keeping then edit them Photoshop CS2 where I do things like color-balance, crop, sharpen, resize, etc.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions. PM me if you need help. smile.gif
Jeroen
agree.gif

Shoot your pix in the highest resolution possible, this gets you the best results if you want to print 'em
If you need to be economic with your memory stick/card and still need decent print quality, choose the second highest

Before posting on the bbs, just use some piece of photosoftware (prolly came with the camera) and resize to 800x600 or 640x480

Equally important when posting on the BBS is setting the .jpg compression
This also determines the file size
Usually, you can get away with about 50% compression without too much quality loss (unless there is a lot of red in your picture)

BTW, the dpi resolution only makes a difference when you are sizing your pictures in inches or cm's
when you (re)size your pic in pixels, the resolution is irrelevant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.