Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CART race this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
Just in case anybody cares about CART racing...

The race at Road America this weekend is being covered exclusively in High Definition (1080i) for the first time. There will be no Standard Definition (480i) coverage.

HDNet are using something like 21 cameras and, based on past efforts, the coverage should be excellent. They will be showing around 5 -7 hours each day as well. All the practices, support races etc.

If you have an HD setup it is available on DirectTV and also on Dish (ch 9425) as a special deal.

Should be the best TV coverage ever smilie_pokal.gif

Richard
Gint
I saw that. I didn't see that DirecTV was carrying it though. Izzat true? It might me time to pop for that HD receiver now if so.
Scott Carlberg
I heard the announcers talking about that during the Vancouver race.

I hope it comes off well.

CART needs ALL the fans they can get right now... and in the future!
maf914
The limited HD broadcast may be a neat tech exercise, but I don't have the service so I will miss the telecast. I'm not inclined to start a TV upgrade for CART. Hell, when Bernie seemed determined to make F1 a pay-per-view digital extravaganza, I figured I'd say goodbye to F1. One thing I am concerned about is when CART was last on CBS about two weeks ago the local CBS station decided to run two hours worth of paid advertising instead of the race, even though the race was indicated in all of the local TV listings. I was PO'd! Now I wonder about future broadcasts. Of course I also wonder about CART's future!

Mike
richardL
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 29 2003, 08:31 PM)
I didn't see that DirecTV was carrying it though.

Getting into HD is not cheap - you need an HD Capable TV, HD receiver and the oval, triple LNB dish pointing in the right direction.

Its being carried by HDNet and they do a very good job in their coverage - i expect it to be much better than the usual network c#*p we are subjected to. No adverts either!

HDNet is currently free on DirectTV (ch 199/79) but is part of the new paid HD tier that started at the beginning of this month as well. There are six HD channels on DirectTV and all the networks provide over the air HD every day (things like Monday Night Football and all the 'scripted' prime time shows are HD now, even Fox is going HD).

HDNet, incidentally is started and owned by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks. He has done wonderful things to promote HD and has run the channel out of his own pocket for two years to get to this point. beerchug.gif
DNHunt
It may not be cheap but what a picture. I have a really nice setup and would love to watch the race, but instead I have to spend the weekend down in Oregon with a bunch of wierd, sicko, obsessed 914 fanatics.

What has my life come to?

Dave
seanery
Dave what tuner do you have?

I've been thinking its about time to get the tuner and oval dish to go with my tv.
MJHanna
Here is my rub. If you get the Direct TV (New dish etc) you get their HD broadcasts. But the local channels (which I get on Direct TV due to poor reception even with an antenna on the Roof) I will never get the Local channels broadcast in HD because Direct will not rebroadcast the signal in HD fighting19.gif
seanery
No, DirecTV won't rebroadcast, but you can get terrestrial HD if you buy the right tuner. The Samsung among others will receive HD terrestrial signals. If you have an ordinary antenna on the roof it should receive those signals.
redshift
I use Samsung, althought their operating system has some glitches.

Finally, something to watch on HD.. So far, the best things have been people standing in stadiums talking, you can see the numbers on the seats in the back rows.

smile.gif

Plasma sucks though.

M
DNHunt
I've got the Hughes (RCA) reciever. It's OK but the output is DB15 and the input on the TV is RBG so I had to get an adapter. It was very expensive from Hughes but, I found one at a local electronics store. Turns out it's used a lot on medical grade monitors. Big hassle through so do your homework before you buy anything (That advice sounds familiar.).

I've tried a land based antenna for local and it doesn't work for me. Too far and the back side of a hill. So I get local off the sat.

Incidentally, HD monitors are a different aspect and most projection TV get dammaged if the picture doesn't change. Kind of like monitors and using screen savers. The problem is when you watch a normal signal you have to chose between possible damage and a non distorted picture or stretching the picture to fit the screen and saving the TV. Very distracting at first but you get used to it.

Dave
richardL
Most DirectTV HD receivers will also tune over the air digital signals. As was said the issue is the antenna - I live in the shadow of a hill so I can't get anything from Sutro Tower in SF. I get amazingly strong signals from NBC in San Jose.

Now I just need the long promised HDTV TiVo to finally arrive.

R
mr914
I have a Mitsubishi HD-5 with the triple LNB dish. I'm using a Rectocon omni directional antenna and a $20 rat shack yagi.

I can pick up all the Detroit local stations plus their sub channels.

I love beer3.gif HDTV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.