Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New motor arrived
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
boldblue.gif Arrived via USF Reddaway, shipping contracted by freightquote.com (ask for Casey). No damage, on time, nice price. I'm stoked, except it seems this thing has more wires and hoses than a 747. Anyone know of a good resource to help me figure out how to make it go? ('80 3.0 SC w/ CSI)
Joe Ricard
Well the worst part is you can't skip none of them either.
Best advice is get new vacuum line for everything. CIS is very vacuum sensative
ArtechnikA
hey! you even got a clutch! good deal!

buy Adrian Streather's new 911SC book.
until that comes out, get the Bentley manual for that year 911.
( Bentley website )
736conver
Looks good smilie_pokal.gif

I hoping to see the same thing in a week only in the 3.2 version smash.gif
goose2
hey! you even got a clutch! good deal!

Yes, but if my meager research is right, I can't use this clutch with a 901. Do you know something I don't? (I'm sure you do wink.gif )
lapuwali
CIS isn't that hard to figure out, and once you start to get a handle on it, the wire and hose count won't seem so daunting.

You'll need a different flywheel to bolt up to a 901...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 25 2005, 05:09 PM)
...if my meager research is right, I can't use this clutch with a 901. Do you know something I don't?

well -- i know someone who needs a 915 clutch :-) ...

yes - you will need a different flywheel and clutch - KEP has the package.

seriously - i'm shopping for a clutch and i'd been figuring i'd hafta buy new.
if your driven disk is in *real* good shape and especially if that is an aluminum pressure plate, it may be time for lets-make-a-deal... find out what you've got and lemme know...
goose2
You'll need a different flywheel to bolt up to a 901...

Regarding flywheels and clutches; GPR and Patrick both sell an adaptor kit which uses 3.0 flywheel with a different ring gear and clutch...big bucks @$700. Kennedy reworks a 914-4 flywheel and says an early 911 clutch is good to 220 HP (street car). Much cheaper and I have the early 911 clutch. Known alternative solutions? Opinions?
goose2
find out what you've got and lemme know...

Will do Rich...give me a few days though. What kina barter stock do you have? Fuel pump, accumulator/filter console?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 25 2005, 05:26 PM)
... Kennedy reworks a 914-4 flywheel and says an early 911 clutch is good to 220 HP (street car)....

i am skeptical since that is a 9-bolt crankshaft and a 914.4 (IIRC) uses 5. i guess it depends on how extensively it's reworked...

if i've got my years wrong and you have a 6-bolt crank, you can simply use a 914.6 / early 911 flywheel.

MikeZ (in his pre-Seemore incarnation) used to wax lyrical about his 228mm Kevlar bus clutch and KEP flywheel.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 25 2005, 05:30 PM)
What kina barter stock do you have? Fuel pump, accumulator/filter console?

no parts, i'm afraid...

i only own one CIS car and it's still in NV (and an ur-GTI besides...)

unless you want a place on the painting list, i'd have to offer cash... the painting list is 3 deep but i expect to have everything shipped this weekend.
goose2
i guess it depends on how extensively it's reworked...

I spoke directly with Herr Kennedy. He said they machine the center out of the 914 and weld in a plug...re-machine and re-drill 9 holes...voila! I think the price was a couple hundred w/ your core. He didn't think the special clutch was necessary on a 200 HP street car but he's got a bulletproof setup too....for another 400 or so ....good for mega-torque and a big left leg. Since I'm a cheap bastard when I'm nearly broke, I think I'll try the reworked flywheel and early 911 clutch. If it doesn't hold, it'll give me something to do this winter.
J P Stein
I'd go with the Kennedy reworked fly wheel & stage I clutch.
Mine has held up for 5-6 years and will work behind a 3.0L...
unless you have bigger tires than mine (doubtful).
He also has a stage II clutch. I passed because of the extra strain on the 914s semi shakey cultch linkage.....which I've never had a problem with.....knock wood. biggrin.gif. The stage I & II
clutches are based on that 914 & early 911 clutch.

Early (69 & older) 911 flywheels also work.
goose2
Rich, I got down to the shop yesterday and pulled the clutch. It looks OK to me but I'm not sure how thick the disc should be...I've attached some photos for your perusal. Let me know if you can use it.
Thanks, Randy
goose2
p-plate:
goose2
p-plate2
goose2
oops...again:
rhodyguy
nice. warm up the visa and install the new engine once. what's a couple of extra c-notes? your shipping savings will cover it. wink.gif

k

goose2
warm up the visa

if it gets warmer it might melt lol2.gif
ArtechnikA
i don't know the "new" thickness either... how much material is over the rivets?
(actually i'm less worried about that since i'd probably just pop for s new friction disk anyway...
is that an aluminum or cast iron pressure plate?
goose2
sorry, its iron....and as you said, I think you would want to replace this disc.
Eric Taylor
Randy Looks like a hell of a project! I'll be back in eugene in 2 weeks, I'll have to stop by and check out the motor and project. Makes me excited just looking at that power plant biggrin.gif .
Eric
Eddie914
How much did the 3.0 engine cost?

Where did it come from?

Thanks

Eddie
goose2
I bought it from one of our members, Steve in Las Vegas. He had offered it for 3750, I called him up and we made a deal. Another great 914 Club transaction! Thanks Steve.
shadygrady
I bought a whole wrecked 1983 911sc with the 3.0. It is now in my 74 914-4. oops should i now say 914-6? Kennedy sent me an adapter ring to bolt onto the 3.0 flywheel so it would bolt onto my 901 tranny. I also got their 228mm stage 1 pp, new throwout bearing, and stock clutch disc for 531 shipped. works like a champ. supposed to be good for 223 hp. they shipped it out fast as they had it in stock. may take a while for them to get to modifying your flywheel. just a thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.